Did NU do the right thing in retaining Bo - some opinions

TGHusker

While this might be possible, it's doubtful we'll have this discussion for five more years considering his contract is up in three. No way given this type of "success" does he get a contract extension. On a side note, I can't believe the Duke Bluedevils are ranked ahead of us. The longer we stay irrelevant, the more likely it becomes permanent.

Stranger things have happened. Like getting an extension in the afterglow of a 70-31 loss to Wisconsin.

Washington job just opened up, maybe he will go there.

I don't see him staying. I still think we have a new coach within the next 10 days. I could be wrong, because I really can't imagine him getting any kind of job comparable to Nebraska after the week...but I'm thinking he's on his way out. If not this year, then next - so why stay? As was mentioned in this article: "it’s going to come at the cost of a sideshow of a season in 2014."

You know in the back of my mind, I hope there is an escape hatch here for both Bo and NU. Both do not like the situation. We know Bo's attitude and you have to know that behind the scenes boasts have got to be raising concerns about the public Bo and the shadow it casts on NU. It would be great if a program came up where Bo said - you know I don't need the stress - I'll take that job but I don't see him quitting - too much money at stake for him. If we don't see any staff changes in the next 4-5 weeks then I suspect Bo will go into 2014 wt a chip on his shoulder and tempt the admin to knock it off.

I just think 2014 is now lost. He could go 12-2, and I think he leaves for a better gig. He could go 8-5 and he gets canned or leaves for another gig. Everything makes me believe 2014 is his last year (assuming he's still here, which I'm not sure he will be), so why stay? USC/Texas job openings? Who cares, we'll have Michigan/Florida job openings to deal with after next year. Every year there are 2-3, I'd say this is a better year than most because we'd be the best of the B1G by a mile. This is just prolonging the inevitable IMO. Next year is going to be rough.

agreed - the agony continues. I think Bo has 1 year left regardless of what happens. Maybe the Duke or Northern Ill coach are ready to move up - to think how fall we've fallen to see those teams ranked ahead of us

Why do you have to call the non-kool aid drinkers 'haters'.

I didn't, TGH. There's a pretty big gulf between people who don't drink the Kool-Aid (like me) and those who were rooting for Nebraska to lose so Pelini would be out quicker (the haters).

I'm just saying that it's highly likely Pelini is our coach for at least one more season. It appears to make contractual sense and we have yet identify a savior on the horizon.

And while I've been a notorious Pelini-doubter for three seasons running, I would rather be impressed by a big Husker turnaround in 2014 than the chance to crow "I told you so."

I see no point in speculating or predicting at this point. Bo needs to prove it on the field. Short leash. Back against the wall. Could be fun.

If not, I'll personally cast Bo Pelini into the deepest pits of hellfire (I've got a buddy who's friends with Satan).

Seventh season. Everyone all in.

Not a Bo apologist.

No one was screaming for him to be gone in 2008-2010. Had :01 not been added to the clock we would have our BCS bowl and conference championship. Things would be different.

I liked/ currently like angry Bo. When the A&M incident aired nationally for days, the Bo that came back after that was not the same Bo. No fire and the guys played like it.

The kids who play for Bo wanting him is better than any one else's opinion. They play for the man day in and day out and spend more time with Bo and Co than they do with their family and friends.......They should know. It is not like you have kids coming out against Bo ie like Leach and Mangino (SP?) The kids love him. Even former guys who played under him have expressed their liking him. Again, this speaks a lot to me.

The single biggest factor, IMHO, that could change is practice. Purely speculation, but it would appear that we do not go enough good on good. Martinez tears up the 2nd team D and all is good. Get into conference play and the staff is like "why the hell are we making these mistakes?" It could be that the D by "X" is better than our 2nd/3rd teamers and scout team. Same with the fumbles. Not getting laid out in practice, IMO, contributes to an increase in TO's. Injuries might increase, but I didn't see starters out in the hey day going good on good. Like Peter said, practice was a brawl. Saturdays were much easier.

Then work on S&C. Even if it doesn't lead to injuries, we appear less dominant than other teams at the point of attack and incapable of going the distance without getting tired...

• Fire 2

I wonder how much money is being lost by this decision. They talk about the 7-8 million. But I'd say that's a drop in the bucket when you figure in the lost donations, waning interest, merchandising, etc. Bringing in a new coach would have lit a fire in the program that (with next years schedule), would have likely burned hot for some time. Instead, it's gonna be chilly next season unless something big happens. You think 9-10 win expectations are too high? Wait until you see the standard he's set to in 2014. He's on the hot seat from day 1. They'll talk more about the losing team in the red-white game than the winning side.

I liked/ currently like angry Bo. When the A&M incident aired nationally for days, the Bo that came back after that was not the same Bo. No fire and the guys played like it.

I've heard this before, but I have a hard time tracking it myself. The angry Bo didn't exactly light a fire under the team during the A&M game. He was Angry Bo before that game and he's been Angry Bo after that game. And he was even Angrier Bo this season, not surprisingly in games that we lost, cluminating in an old school meltdown against Iowa. So how does Angry Bo translate into a fired-up team?

I think it's the opposite corrolary: this team is afraid to disappoint Bo in big games. So they go out and play afraid.

He did work on his public persona after A&M, but he really needed to. I can't really track a turning point in Bo's tenure when the six four-loss seasons start blending together.

• Fire 1

I've heard this before, but I have a hard time tracking it myself. The angry Bo didn't exactly light a fire under the team during the A&M game. He was Angry Bo before that game and he's been Angry Bo after that game. And he was even Angrier Bo this season, not surprisingly in games that we lost, cluminating in an old school meltdown against Iowa. So how does Angry Bo translate into a fired-up team?

I think it's the opposite corrolary: this team is afraid to disappoint Bo in big games. So they go out and play afraid.

He did work on his public persona after A&M, but he really needed to. I can't really track a turning point in Bo's tenure when the six four-loss seasons start blending together.

I guess I just saw hope in 2009 and 2010. Even with the losses, we were :01 and 3 points from conference championships. Maybe angry could be used for "passionate" Bo.

I can't figure this team out. Last season in the "win out" challenge, the kids rose up and did just that. This year, in some "bigger" games ie MSU and even Iowa, they seemed to play tight and crap themselves.

Do we actually have a shrink on board for the team?

I say everyone needs to go all-in on next season with Bo Pelini and the team.

Because he is going to be the coach - whether you like it or not - and we have good athletes on the way up.

The pressure will be high, but that's how it should be.

Bo will be on a short leash, but he's earned it.

Fans are hungry. They want to cheer.

Haters B hating. Might B fun to shut them up.

Backs to the wall. Forget the past six years. 2014 is show time.

Show us what you've got. If this team is willing to fight demons at the gates of hell for Bo Pelini, they can start by playing four quarters of balls-out football. Preferrably consecutive quarters.

I honestly don't think there's a magic number of wins, just a quality of play.

+1. My feelings exactly. He's more than likely here to stay for one more year whether people like it or not. Might as well show some support for him and the team. It certainly doesn't do the program any favors to continue to talk about how much better we could do, how bad Bo's antics are, yada yada yada. If he doesn't get it done next year, he will be out the door. As long as the players continue to support him, I will too. If they ever stop supporting him, well, then we really are in trouble.

+1 Guy.

Also, it's up to Bo to figure out how to be an acceptable representative for the university and still be a good coach.

+1 Guy.

Also, it's up to Bo to figure out how to be an acceptable representative for the university and still be a good coach.

after 6 years.......he's still working on this one.