Bo Pelini, from a player’s parents eyes.

icedavis

I looked and didn't see this posted. Probably didn't look hard enough if it was, sorry in advance. If not, this is a pretty interesting read.

http://huskerland.ne...s-parents-eyes/

There has been so many up and down conversations this week regarding Bo Pelini. There have been fans calling for his head, and others calling for him to stay.

Today I had the fortunate opportunity to listen to a player’s parent talk about his feelings on the program and on Coach Bo Pelini.

I did not talk much, I mainly listened and never told the parent that I ran the website Huskerland.net. I merely enjoyed the conversation. So he didn’t have to sugar coat anything for any purpose.

It started as your typical stranger conversation, we were in the waiting room of the business. An elderly lady probably early 70′s came up to me and asked if I was reading the newspaper that was sitting on the table next to me. I said “No ma’am go ahead and take it”. As she got back to her chair, she said to the man next to her “I’ve got to read about what they have to say about coach Bo today”. The gentlemen who she directed the statement toward said “I wish they would just leave the guy alone”. Thus the conversation began.

- See more at: http://huskerland.ne...h.peooQlDg.dpuf

• Fire 2

I don't think anyone has ever doubted that the players and their families are enamored with Bo. The point has always been that those folks are only part of the equation, and the fans are another part. If Bo can be warm and cuddly to these folks, there's no reason he can't show at least a modicum of that side of his personality to the fans. Not only does he choose not to, but the impression most get is that he views us as part of "them," the enemy.

Bo is out working hard to recruit these players and their families, and that's great. He needs to spend some time recruiting the fans, too. Without us he isn't earning that $3 million a year.

• Fire 5

Joe had also attended a few practices this year and said that they were tough practices, the guys were really “popping” the pads he said and going full throttle. Joe was reminded of the Bob Devany days and in some ways compared Bo to Bob Devany, in how much he expected out of his players and how he wanted nothing but 110% effort from them during practice. He couldn’t stress enough how good the practices were.

Joe talked about the academics portion of the football team, and its expectations, he said that almost 80% of the team is on the B1G honor roll list. He stated that Bo is a big stickler for classroom attendance and participation. He really puts the Student before the Athlete, as it should be.

Great insights. These are the things that a lot of us thought. It's nice to hear this from someone who is close to the program. :thumbs:

I don't think anyone has ever doubted that the players and their families are enamored with Bo. The point has always been that those folks are only part of the equation, and the fans are another part. If Bo can be warm and cuddly to these folks, there's no reason he can't show at least a modicum of that side of his personality to the fans. Not only does he choose not to, but the impression most get is that he views us as part of "them," the enemy.

Bo is out working hard to recruit these players and their families, and that's great. He needs to spend some time recruiting the fans, too. Without us he isn't earning that $3 million a year.

So the question becomes which is more important. Being a coach like Bo, winning 8-10 games a year with an run of 11-12 wins a time or two every 10-12 years (assuming that becomes the pattern for this argument) and hopefully have some things break and get a shot at a NC every 15-20. Or being a D-bag coach who cuts players if they can't crack the 2 deep on schollies, only care about the system (but winning 10-12 games every year) bending the rules and leaving your players out to dry when life gets tough for them because they are "men" and should be able to figure it out on their own? Same bristly attitude toward media and fans? Because honestly every coach with the exception of one or two in the top 10-15 right now have that rep in their community.

• Fire 3

Just shows what the media won't normally ever report on- Bo truly cares about the kids he recruits/families and is not the A-hole out of control jerk the media would like us to believe- also, to those fans that want him to "show" them his love....really? get over it already, the man is who he is and the comment he made about our fan base was correct- when you leave the stadium before the game is completed, and you call the QB a dirty Mexican, twitter Kenny Bell and tell him he sucks, as a group of people you suck and Bo was right- the fans who don't do those things tend to think Bo is a great guy and know who he is talking about when he says disparaging things

So the question becomes which is more important. Being a coach like Bo, winning 8-10 games a year with an run of 11-12 wins a time or two every 10-12 years (assuming that becomes the pattern for this argument) and hopefully have some things break and get a shot at a NC every 15-20. Or being a D-bag coach who cuts players if they can't crack the 2 deep on schollies, only care about the system (but winning 10-12 games every year) bending the rules and leaving your players out to dry when life gets tough for them because they are "men" and should be able to figure it out on their own? Same bristly attitude toward media and fans? Because honestly every coach with the exception of one or two in the top 10-15 right now have that rep in their community.

How many coaches are out there that win 10-12 games every year regardless of if they are d-bags or not? And of those coaches, how are we so sure that any of them are even a legitimate option for us? I'm not saying Pelini is the only guy for us, but I think we sometimes think that 10-12 wins are a given with other coaches. Those 10-12 win guys are in high demand by everyone.

• Fire 1

To be honest I'm kind of tired of the fans acting like the "pretty girl who didn't get asked to the prom". We feel like we're owed a date and to be voted prom queen yet we don't do a whole lot to help the team.

It's not that we're owed, it's just that a lot of Bo's beef with the fishbowl here has actually been perpetuated by him more than anyone else, and he would just be doing himself a lot of favors.

• Fire 1

That's actually a good point. And I would add that Bo needs to cultivate a better relationship with the media as well. Of course those two things--fan and media relationship--go hand in hand. Sometimes it seems like Bo would just as soon play in an empty stadium with no media coverage. Just two football teams duking it out.