1620 The Zone Round Table Discussion

teachercd

he said fans should not compare the current teams to the former teams and then he went on to compare the current teams to the former teams.

Should I read this as a "high-horse" kind of a deal? I'm higher than the fans, so I reserve the notion to compare current and former teams?

I'd like to know how many of you really believe you have said anything here that you would be afraid to stamp your name on?

If somebody here feels like they need to know my name, let me know why you need it and I'd be happy to share who I am. I stand by anything I say minus a few drunk misunderstandings I've had. Yet, those were simply misunderstanding of a situation I didn't have knowledge on. Being an outsider, not closely involved with the program in any way, I can only speak based on my perception. Unfortunately sometimes maybe that perception is completely off base, but guess what? I wouldn't be the only person in history to make a statement based purely on my view if a situation without knowing all the "facts". The way it sounds like Sipple and some radio and media personalities describe us is as if we "message boarders" are overreactice unintelligent basement dwellers. I hate to bust their bubble, but this isn't the case with me, or probably the majority here. I didn't get that impression from any of the people I met from this site. I want afraid to show my face and use my real name with those guys and I would have been fine meeting anyone who was willing to show up there. I noticed many decided not to show up that probably could have made it as well but it is what it is. surely, there are some low lives and weirdos floating around everywhere you go, which would explain why people like me with families and lives may not wish to post their name around like it's every bodies business.

Sipple puts his name in everything he writes because he's paid for it and for that pay, he also gets to deal with people openly discussing, criticizing or even sometimes insulting him. I don't have to deal with any of you outside if this place and I don't have to worry about you insulting my family or others like a public figure may deal with. I guess I consider that a bonus. That sure as hell doesn't make me scared to stand by what I say.

With that off my chest, I'm going to listen to more of this and see what I can take from it.

• Fire 2

So, you are comparing Mark Twain writing under a second name in a news paper opinion column where everyone knows who he is, what he looks like and probably could find out where he lives and works to anonymous people sitting in their basements on social media writing things to players and about individual players that many times aren't true, they have no clue what they are talking bout, and very personal?

why are these people always in basements? are basements more nefarious?

Must be the dankness.

I'd like to know how many of you really believe you have said anything here that you would be afraid to stamp your name on?

i agree. other than a few 'blue' jokes.

also, the worst rumor (the facebook rumor of bo resigning) had a name attached to it, so not sure why the anonymity of people is such a big deal.

frankly, i think there is an unhealthy, symbiotic relationship between social media and message boards.

a. traditional media, already in a dying industry facing their own obsolescence, is threatened by new media and choose to deal with it by broadly dismissing it.

b. the media is lazy and sensationalist, so there is nothing easier to just post 'rumblings' as stories because, hey, it is worth discussing. they can use message boards, without larger context, to gauge the pulse of a fanbase. no different than when they interview a few numb-skulls on the streets to get their take without any consideration of the value of the person's opinion.

I'd even take the heat for all of my bad jokes.

I think ultimately, people like Steve Sipple take swipes at message boards and places like Deadspin because they're smart enough to see the writing on the wall that these methods are all starting to really eat into the "old guard's" choke hold on who reports on entities like the Nebraska Cornhuskers. Smart writers have learned to utilize the "new way" (smart coaches have too), writers (and coaches) who can't figure out a way to adapt to adjust, might get left behind.

I'll let you make your decision where Bo Pelini is on that spectrum.

Ultimately, I think that's where the "Basement dweller" swipe comes from. Because really, it ain't all that hard to find people out. I found that out one day when I checked my twitter feed and there was Knapplc sending me a picture of myself, asking if this was me. Stalker.

• Fire 1

I hate to break it to ya bud, but these players could learn quite a it from Tommie. A lot of it between the ears about being a competitor and the effort it takes to be a leader and stay focused. He knows the game of football as well. I know people keep,wanting to go back to his coaching record but if you think there haven't been some great coaches that have failed at some point, then OU don't know your history.

PaulCrewe, what do you think about this bolded statement?

Thumbs down. As well to Enhance's first post. But it its what it is.

It is going on right now. Mosty Frazier talking right now, he said fans should not compare the current teams to the former teams and then he went on to compare the current teams to the former teams.

Now, they are talking about TO and how he changed things and went to FSU to see what Bowden was doing in the 90's.

He said that Bo needs to go ask for "help" from other coaches and some former players too.

Yeah, maybe Tommie could coach 'em up!

:facepalm:

Hey! His record at Doane speaks for itself.

I have to thank Tommie for being Doane's HC for the years he was. My Alma Mater was undefeated against him as coach.

I don't care if people know my real name. Hell, Ive already had an article written about me by Philadelphia Phillie writers for getting into it on twitter with some of their fans. How much worse could it get then that? :lol:

Back to the discussion, listened to some of it at my desk, and there are two things that came out that I feel are glaring red flags. One for the program, one for the press.

A direct quote from Steve Sipple: "I was pro Solich, I was pro-Callahan and I'm Pro Bo. And I am because I see them as underdogs because Tom Osborne was 60-3 and they have to perform with that hangin over their heads."

-Yeah that's the biggest straw man argument ever, Steve. Further, is that an admission that you can't be unbiased in your covering of the team you're paid to cover? Because that's kinda what it sounds like.

The other disconcerting tidbit was a general agreement from all in the table that S&C wasn't what should be. One of the chief reasons, which I believe came from Rose's father, said that "coach makes them be accountable". Which to me is just alarming as all Hell. I get the idea, "We're making responsible men here. Can't have anyone babysitting you in life boys..." but here is yet another very important aspect of Bo Pelini's job, that is very key to his team performance, and therefore his salary, that's he's essentially neglecting. Go watch the 60 minutes segment on Alabama's S&C coach. There is no reason a S&C coach on the payroll cannot be on these guys if there's perceived slacking going on. Teach these guys accountability other ways. Demand a coat and tie on the road and at players' banquets. More philanthropic work. Christ anything just please don't leave one of the fundamental blocks in a successful program "up to the kids", that just reeks of bad management.

• Fire 5

It is going on right now. Mosty Frazier talking right now, he said fans should not compare the current teams to the former teams and then he went on to compare the current teams to the former teams.

Now, they are talking about TO and how he changed things and went to FSU to see what Bowden was doing in the 90's.

He said that Bo needs to go ask for "help" from other coaches and some former players too.

Hey! His record at Doane speaks for itself.

I have to thank Tommie for being Doane's HC for the years he was. My Alma Mater was undefeated against him as coach.

if you are Wesleyan grad that would explain a lot. Or any other Gpac school for that matter

I think all coaches should strive to improve. Keep up with the changes and trends. Just because I think Bo needs to do this doesn't mean he should come to me.

OK...please explain something to me. I just turned this on. Some guy (don't know who it is) is lamenting the frustration that Duke and Baylor can play for a conference championship after hiring a coach less than 6 years ago and claiming those teams have come from nothing and have passed Nebraska.

Really? Haven't we played for conference championships since Bo was here? HELLOOOO!!!!!

Did I miss something?

Also, Baylor has not played for a Conference Championship

Baylor has WON a Conference Championship.

They did, but let's be honest the Big 12 wasn't what it was 3-4 years ago. OU struggled, Texas was down, KSU was down, no Mizzou, no Texas A&M, no Nebraska, and the teams they rbought in (WVU and TCU) had down years.

I'm sorry but last year the best team in the conference was on probation and ineligible to compete for the title and we played a team with what 5 losses...so we had a chance to win in a down year and failed. Baylor right now is more relevant than we are.

• Fire 3

I haven't attended one, but there are Huskerboard members that get together on occasion. I haven't been to one (not because I wouldn't want to, just being halfway across the world makes it hard) but I have a hard time thinking that once you meet, you refer to each other by Huskerboard names. I mean, that's just weird. I can't picture this scenario:

"Hey GSG5545, you want to play some pool?" "No thanks Landlord of Memorial Stadium, I'm going to finish my beer and head out. I think huskerfan120889 and True2tRA were looking for a game. Check with them."

It's as anonymous as you want it to be. The guys that hang out in real life I'm sure use their real names, but they don't do it on here. And that's fine. I don't know any of you personally, but if I did, and I PM'd you, I doubt I'd use your Huskerboard name.

It's all about what you're comfortable with, especially with the internet age and security issues, etc. But I'd suspect most Huskerboard members who weren't complete d-bags would be more than happy to use real names, required or not required.