1620 The Zone Round Table Discussion

teachercd

Even still, as someone who holds a degree in journalism, Sipple had to know on a very fundamental level how completely dumb of a thing that was to say. He all but gave away his credibility and admitted he was a blind program supporter instead on an unbiased arbiter with that statement.

Unless he thinks Mark Twain was an idiot too, then I'm wrong.

i am a little dense, could you explain the mark twain comment? is it in reference to his many pen names?

It is going on right now. Mosty Frazier talking right now, he said fans should not compare the current teams to the former teams and then he went on to compare the current teams to the former teams.

Now, they are talking about TO and how he changed things and went to FSU to see what Bowden was doing in the 90's.

He said that Bo needs to go ask for "help" from other coaches and some former players too.

Yeah, maybe Tommie could coach 'em up!

:facepalm:

I hate to break it to ya bud, but these players could learn quite a it from Tommie. A lot of it between the ears about being a competitor and the effort it takes to be a leader and stay focused. He knows the game of football as well. I know people keep,wanting to go back to his coaching record but if you think there haven't been some great coaches that have failed at some point, then OU don't know your history.

Bo and his staff have a huge problem with accepting change and welcoming outside opinions. It will be their downfall if they don't do exactly what was said. They need to ask for help.

• Fire 2

It is going on right now. Mosty Frazier talking right now, he said fans should not compare the current teams to the former teams and then he went on to compare the current teams to the former teams.

Now, they are talking about TO and how he changed things and went to FSU to see what Bowden was doing in the 90's.

He said that Bo needs to go ask for "help" from other coaches and some former players too.

I hate to break it to ya bud, but these players could learn quite a it from Tommie. A lot of it between the ears about being a competitor and the effort it takes to be a leader and stay focused. He knows the game of football as well. I know people keep,wanting to go back to his coaching record but if you think there haven't been some great coaches that have failed at some point, then OU don't know your history.

Bo and his staff have a huge problem with accepting change and welcoming outside opinions. It will be their downfall if they don't do exactly what was said. They need to ask for help.

I haven't listened to any of the round table today, but did Tommie offer any recommendations/suggestions on what the staff could do differently? It seems like whenever Frazier speaks up, he just mentions that they aren't as good as the 90's teams, and he seems to have "good old days" syndrome. We would all love the team to have the success of the 90's, but just spouting out comments isn't exactly providing help.

Even still, as someone who holds a degree in journalism, Sipple had to know on a very fundamental level how completely dumb of a thing that was to say. He all but gave away his credibility and admitted he was a blind program supporter instead on an unbiased arbiter with that statement.

i am a little dense, could you explain the mark twain comment? is it in reference to his many pen names?

Mark Twain being one of his more famous ones.

But yeah, Samuel Clemons wrote countless articles, editorials and essay for several newspapers, ranging from his travels, to worker safety, civil rights, and imperialism. Often, they were under pen names that were very veiled or obscure. Some of it is even credited to the beginning of some of the reforms this country has made. And most journalism students know that fact pretty well. And all of them, (I hope) would probably admit that he should have been allowed to do so, as he was expressing then radical views and wanted his right to privacy, but still felt he should be free to say it. I would argue that the right to free expression and privacy are two pretty fundamental American qualities, journalism degree or no. (class of 01 you guys ,)

Is anonymously running your trap about the importance of nine wins at all the same of discussing worker fatalities in silver mines owned by robber barons in Nevada? No, of course not, but it's protected by the same rights. The same goes for the bs threats, it's not like those people couldn't get doxxed if it was a legit death threat, and you can't make open threats against people in other communication tunnels either. These are fundemental rules of writing and journalism, let alone people's rights. And Steve Sipple blew a lot of his credibility away if he really said that.

• Fire 5

I haven't listened to any of the round table today, but did Tommie offer any recommendations/suggestions on what the staff could do differently? It seems like whenever Frazier speaks up, he just mentions that they aren't as good as the 90's teams, and he seems to have "good old days" syndrome. We would all love the team to have the success of the 90's, but just spouting out comments isn't exactly providing help.

I haven't heard it either. I was simply responding to the comment implying Tommie brings no knowledge to the table. The man does and it's not debatable. Now this common idiocy to refer to the teams of the nineties and compare them to current teams, I agree, I've had my fill of that. Same with comparing the coaches of those teams. So in that point yes we agree.

Fact remains, the fundamentals of football remain the same. Tackling and turnovers are a current issue and have been an issue for some time now. If Bo has tried to solve even these basic problems, I assume he has tried, he has failed. Has he asked other coaches for practice tips? Does Bo seem like the kind of guy who values others opinions? He sure as hell doesn't to me. As far as scheme and basic coaching philosophy, Bo has stated repeatedly that he sees no issues and will not change his scheme or his approach. So put that bullsh#t to rest, he has clearly said he will not change, so why would he ask for others suggestions when there's no willingness to implement them? He's made that same stance with his assistant coaches.

Frazier failing as a coach doesn't really change my opinion of his football knowledge. I'd say it's safe to say he knows more and his football opinion is more valuable than most of the posters on this board, including myself. Besides, be real about something - Doane won two games the year before Frazier. They then won only something like 15 games over the four seasons after Frazier left. So, while it's clear he didn't get it done, he by no means took over a school that is a winner. Hell, Damon Benning coached at Northwest and his record was an overwhelming failure. But as a graduate of that high school, I can say first hand the amount of people that try out for football and the talent available at Northwest is pathetic in comparison to other Omaha metro schools. It's a very difficult school to win at.

/rant.

Frazier can be an asshat at times but I think it's silly to devalue his opinion because of a two year coaching stint.

• Fire 7
T-Fraz said he was starting a clothing line...wow

I heard there were some "fireworks" after the first break but I do not know what those were.

Tommy Frazier has jumped the shark.

What does "jumped the shark" mean?

It's a reference to the show "Happy Days." In an episode, Fonzie jumped a shark tank with his motorcycle (IIRC) and the show was said to be over at that point.

Edit: St.PaulHusker has a more complete posting. Water skis? Really? I'm getting old.

Yeah, he also wore his leather jacket while doing it. It may have been the dumbest episode of any sitcom that I've ever seen.

Frazier failing as a coach doesn't really change my opinion of his football knowledge. I'd say it's safe to say he knows more and his football opinion is more valuable than most of the posters on this board, including myself. Besides, be real about something - Doane won two games the year before Frazier. They then won only something like 15 games over the four seasons after Frazier left. So, while it's clear he didn't get it done, he by no means took over a school that is a winner. Hell, Damon Benning coached at Northwest and his record was an overwhelming failure. But as a graduate of that high school, I can say first hand the amount of people that try out for football and the talent available at Northwest is pathetic in comparison to other Omaha metro schools. It's a very difficult school to win at.

/rant.

Frazier can be an asshat at times but I think it's silly to devalue his opinion because of a two year coaching stint.

Eh. I think that's a good point, but I also think it's equally silly to automatically assign value to his opinion because he was a good football player.

I know plenty of people that are great athletes at their sports, or at least were. Better than I ever was or will be. But if you watch a game on ESPN with them, they actually know very little about the intricacies of the sport. A lot of the time they're borderline moronic in their understanding of a lot of things.

I haven't heard it either. I was simply responding to the comment implying Tommie brings no knowledge to the table. The man does and it's not debatable. Now this common idiocy to refer to the teams of the nineties and compare them to current teams, I agree, I've had my fill of that. Same with comparing the coaches of those teams. So in that point yes we agree.

Fact remains, the fundamentals of football remain the same. Tackling and turnovers are a current issue and have been an issue for some time now. If Bo has tried to solve even these basic problems, I assume he has tried, he has failed. Has he asked other coaches for practice tips? Does Bo seem like the kind of guy who values others opinions? He sure as hell doesn't to me. As far as scheme and basic coaching philosophy, Bo has stated repeatedly that he sees no issues and will not change his scheme or his approach. So put that bullsh#t to rest, he has clearly said he will not change, so why would he ask for others suggestions when there's no willingness to implement them? He's made that same stance with his assistant coaches.

Do you think Tommie would be more capable than the four GAs we have on staff right now? Who would you get rid of to give Tommie a GA spot? Or perhaps you envision Tommie in some other coaching/consulting role? What would it be? I'm asking because I honestly don't know.

/rant.

Eh. I think that's a good point, but I also think it's equally silly to automatically assign value to his opinion because he was a good football player.

I know plenty of people that are great athletes at their sports, or at least were. Better than I ever was or will be. But if you watch a game on ESPN with them, they actually know very little about the intricacies of the sport. A lot of the time they're borderline moronic in their understanding of a lot of things.

Many times, great players are that way because they are great athletes or they just are able to do things without thinking. But, if you asked them to teach/coach that to others, they have no ability to do so. It's pretty uncommon when a great player becomes a great coach. They just don't have the ability to communicate or make a player better than their skill allows them to.

I think that a lot of the former players really miss the feeling of being part of the program and the feeling of being a "god" so to speak. They want that again and they want to be part of the program in more ways then signing some autographs and stuff like that. I don't blame them, I would want that too. Badly!

But, like the old guy that keeps showing up to his frat...sometimes you just gotta know that its over...(lord knows the restraining order that my frat put on me was a pretty big hint)

Sipple can't believe people are allowed to post anonymously on the internet and believes this shouldn't exist.

That's one of the dumber things to come out of a journalists mouth in a long time.

sipple also had a profound misunderstanding on how deadspin operates. so, he might be a little behind the times.

I guess I'm missing where what he said was so stupid. I happen to agree with him that I wish social media didn't exist where total jack azz idiots can actually contact players and recruits anonymously, and, I think much of the discussion around sports programs in general would be more realistic if people didn't have the ability to post anonymously on the internet, get other anonymous posters/fans all worked up in a lather with information that is either totally false, made up or misleading.

Now, maybe Sipple should have worded it as..."I wish it didn't exist" instead of "they shouldn't be allowed to". But, his point is not out of line.

Sipple can't believe people are allowed to post anonymously on the internet and believes this shouldn't exist.

That's one of the dumber things to come out of a journalists mouth in a long time.

sipple also had a profound misunderstanding on how deadspin operates. so, he might be a little behind the times.

I guess I'm missing where what he said was so stupid. I happen to agree with him that I wish social media didn't exist where total jack azz idiots can actually contact players and recruits anonymously, and, I think much of the discussion around sports programs in general would be more realistic if people didn't have the ability to post anonymously on the internet, get other anonymous posters/fans all worked up in a lather with information that is either totally false, made up or misleading.

Now, maybe Sipple should have worded it as..."I wish it didn't exist" instead of "they shouldn't be allowed to". But, his point is not out of line.

As a journalist, not only is out of line, it's credibility ruining.