1620 The Zone Round Table Discussion

teachercd

I think it's silly to devalue his opinion because of a two year coaching stint.

This is one of the most illogical things I've read. The only way to value or devalue his opinion is based on what he's done. He had a two year coaching stint that went poorly, so I adjust how I value his opinion. He had a four year playing stint that went exceedingly well, so I also adjust how I value his opinion based on that. Otherwise, I have no basis for assigning any value to his opinion - he's essentially the say as the random people calling into that show.

What I think you're intending to say is that it's silly to be dismissive of his opinion because of a two year coaching stint - which I agree with.

But nobody else has succeeded at that school prior or since. So you have to take a look at the whole picture.

Do you think Tommie would be more capable than the four GAs we have on staff right now? Who would you get rid of to give Tommie a GA spot? Or perhaps you envision Tommie in some other coaching/consulting role? What would it be? I'm asking because I honestly don't know.

Not necessarily more capable? More knowledgable than some, probably. That knowledge doesn't always equal good coach either. Consulting role? I don't know. Do you have to be a coach or consultant as a former player to get involved with helping these kids learn the Nebraska way and helping them adapt to the kind of scrutiny they will face here. These kids clearly struggle with the magnifying glass they are undermp, and who better to talk to than guys who've been there. Also, I think the history if this program is important and should be taught to current players. The pride of this program should be understood and for WR players could be key in getting that point across. Also, you can't deny the greatness of the teams these guys played on, and the greatness of the men that coached them. If there are things we could be doing in practice, if there are things that maybe were focused in a bit more in those days that could translate to the current team, their opinion should at least be heard. I don't think this staff values outside opinions or former players opinions for that matter.

I think it's silly to devalue his opinion because of a two year coaching stint.

This is one of the most illogical things I've read. The only way to value or devalue his opinion is based on what he's done. He had a two year coaching stint that went poorly, so I adjust how I value his opinion. He had a four year playing stint that went exceedingly well, so I also adjust how I value his opinion based on that. Otherwise, I have no basis for assigning any value to his opinion - he's essentially the say as the random people calling into that show.

What I think you're intending to say is that it's silly to be dismissive of his opinion because of a two year coaching stint - which I agree with.

But nobody else has succeeded at that school prior or since. So you have to take a look at the whole picture.

If this is talking about Doane, way off

So, you are comparing Mark Twain writing under a second name in a news paper opinion column where everyone knows who he is, what he looks like and probably could find out where he lives and works to anonymous people sitting in their basements on social media writing things to players and about individual players that many times aren't true, they have no clue what they are talking bout, and very personal?

why are these people always in basements? are basements more nefarious?

Must be the dankness.

True story - I'm sitting in my basement right now. It is neither dank nor dusty, nor do I live with my parents. I sit next to a big picture window overlooking a red maple and the sunset.

I haven't attended one, but there are Huskerboard members that get together on occasion. I haven't been to one (not because I wouldn't want to, just being halfway across the world makes it hard) but I have a hard time thinking that once you meet, you refer to each other by Huskerboard names. I mean, that's just weird. I can't picture this scenario:

"Hey GSG5545, you want to play some pool?" "No thanks Landlord of Memorial Stadium, I'm going to finish my beer and head out. I think huskerfan120889 and True2tRA were looking for a game. Check with them."

It's as anonymous as you want it to be. The guys that hang out in real life I'm sure use their real names, but they don't do it on here. And that's fine. I don't know any of you personally, but if I did, and I PM'd you, I doubt I'd use your Huskerboard name.

It's all about what you're comfortable with, especially with the internet age and security issues, etc. But I'd suspect most Huskerboard members who weren't complete d-bags would be more than happy to use real names, required or not required.

I've attended several of these gatherings and, at those gatherings, I've referred to these guys by their real names. I've referred to them by their pseudonyms here on HuskerBoard, though, because I figure if they wanted their real names here, they'd use them. So here they're whatever they choose to call themselves, and in the real world they're their real world names.

Frankly, I think making people use their real names online is an awful idea. If that was a law we'd never have the best user name on HuskerBoard: HotGrillOnGrillAction

It is going on right now. Mosty Frazier talking right now, he said fans should not compare the current teams to the former teams and then he went on to compare the current teams to the former teams.

Now, they are talking about TO and how he changed things and went to FSU to see what Bowden was doing in the 90's.

He said that Bo needs to go ask for "help" from other coaches and some former players too.

Yeah, maybe Tommie could coach 'em up!

:facepalm:

Hey! His record at Doane speaks for itself.

I have to thank Tommie for being Doane's HC for the years he was. My Alma Mater was undefeated against him as coach.

if you are Wesleyan grad that would explain a lot. Or any other Gpac school for that matter

So I take it you played at Doane while Tommy was a coach there or something? If so I'd be interested to hear what he was like as a coach. I like the guy, but I'm guessing he probably just came off as an arrogant ass and ridiculed the players rather than coaching them up.

Harold was so convinced of every statement he spoke. It was embarrassing.

Then he said this about the Minnesota game: "Minnesota was a product of our environment that day. There are things that went on that weekend that not many people know about."

Dirk (jokingly): "That sounds like message board talk."

Harold (angry): "No, it sounds like reality... 'cause it's reality! OK?"

Why do you guys think I'm talking about this board and you? Obviously I'm not talking about people who simply want to come here and discuss sports. Heck. That's why I'm at this board. It is much more civil than some others.

Over the years I have read reports of "fans" threatening, insulting, doing things in social media that I don't think anyone here would be proud to put their name on.

These idiots are big tough guys from behind a key board.

There are people who take any disagreement as a personal attack. Those personality types frequent this board and all others. I think that might be the one message board stereotype that is for the most part true. A lot of these people do not handle disagreements well in their personal lives and the effects of those reactions to disagreement are much different Ina personal situation than on the Internet.

Polo, so as I understand this, the kids are responsible for the strength and conditioning work outs. No coach truly monitors their progress or lack there of. No certain standards are set for body type, density or anything. They have a general work out, and that is it.

I watched a special on Oregon or Bama, can not remember which one, but their equipment kept track of who did what, how much the did and who did the the most every single day. A competition. All electronically kept, no way of not doing the work out nor any way of cheating on it. Do we have that type of equipment. It went by name, past records, past sets, pretty scientific it sounded. I just assumed most had that type of equipment, and the coach was always around. It seem there were a lot of strength and conditioning counselors. I think this is how Bama and Oregon get around the actual number of coaches.

We used to set the standards for Strength and Conditioning. Have we become set in our ways, not growing, changing and developing with the others?

Polo, so as I understand this, the kids are responsible for the strength and conditioning work outs. No coach truly monitors their progress or lack there of. No certain standards are set for body type, density or anything. They have a general work out, and that is it.

I watched a special on Oregon or Bama, can not remember which one, but their equipment kept track of who did what, how much the did and who did the the most every single day. A competition. All electronically kept, no way of not doing the work out nor any way of cheating on it. Do we have that type of equipment. It went by name, past records, past sets, pretty scientific it sounded. I just assumed most had that type of equipment, and the coach was always around. It seem there were a lot of strength and conditioning counselors. I think this is how Bama and Oregon get around the actual number of coaches.

We used to set the standards for Strength and Conditioning. Have we become set in our ways, not growing, changing and developing with the others?

Why look stuff up when it is so much easier to just make false claims, right?

• Fire 1

I've always thought that video was awesome. If walking by those names, seeing the records you're competing with, and having all the tools you need to be the best doesn't motivate you and make you strive for excellence, then damn, you a zombie or somethin. I like how Ameer said he wants to add to the wall and take over some of those records. Every guy in that weight room should want their name on that wall.