Duck Dynasty star suspended from show

Well now I'm just more confused. Actual justice? Own team getting theirs?

I don't think that this has anything to do with justice, freedom of speech, or "team getting theirs."

People are either objectively for good, or they are for the good of themselves. All I am saying is that you see a lot of people come out in situations like this under the pretense that they are for good with a period at the end, when really they're just self-serving.

All I am saying is that you see a lot of people come out in situations like this under the pretense that they are for good with a period at the end, when really they're just self-serving.

. . . or in my case . . . mostly indifferent to the public opinion of this guy who I hadn't heard of until today . . . . and genuinely indifferent as to his employer's choice to terminate his employment.

All I am saying is that you see a lot of people come out in situations like this under the pretense that they are for good with a period at the end, when really they're just self-serving.

. . . or in my case . . . mostly indifferent to the public opinion of this guy who I hadn't heard of until today . . . . and genuinely indifferent as to his employer's choice to terminate his employment.

Okay. Well I wasn't making any statements about you. What is your point?

• Fire 1

Also, for reference, his comments re: black people and oppression:

"I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field .... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word! ... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

Hardly the vitriolic, ignorant racist speech it has been painted as in this thread.

• Fire 1

Hi, new to the board, and I can't believe my first post is going to be about this. I think people are correct that this isn't a 1st amendment issue. However, It is against the law to discriminate against someone in the area of employment based upon their religion. All Phil Robertson did is express his religious belief outside of the workplace. If A & E is on thin ice, this is where they could run into problems.

• Fire 2

Thanks, I have been reading Huskerboard for several years, usually stay on the football page.

I do think Robertson is getting a raw deal. Basically he said he thinks homosexuality is sinful, but treats everyone with respect. That seems to me to be the definition of "tolerance". Seems like when the left preaches tolerance, they mean submission to their point of view.

• Fire 2

Sports are about the only thing worth watching on TV at this point, outside of The Walking Dead.

I would submit for your viewing pleasure:

Wilfred

Louie

The Soup (to keep aware of cultural awfulness like DD and to enjoy the lampooning thereof)

Daily Show (awareness and lampooning)

Colbert (buffoonery and LOTR geekiness)

Mythbusters

Anthony Bourdain

How It's Made

Downton Abbey (PBS)

From the BBC:

Doctor Who

Sherlock

+1. Colbert, daily show, mythbusters, the soup, and how it's made are all shows I watch. Almost the only shows I watch, ur I do like the amazing race and dirty jobs also.

• Fire 1

I used to watch Duck Dynasty, until I got a cheaper cable package. It's hard to really know a person from what we see of them on TV, but he seems like a pretty genuine guy. I don't begrudge him his opinions, but he did himself no favors in the way he expressed them. I don't think he's a hateful person, but his words in this interview seem harsh. As a Christian, I can see what he was trying to say, but it makes me cringe, especially what he said about pre-civil rights. You can't expect people not to want those kind of statements expounded upon. His opinion on homosexuality can't be a surprise to A&E, though.

HUFFPO : 'Duck Dynasty' Star Phil Robertson Claims Black People Were 'Happy' Pre-Civil Rights

http://www.huffingto..._n_4473474.html

---

This is a great example of "editorializing" that has morphed into "race-baiting".

The GC mag editor uses the term "Pre-Civil Rights Era" in the article to describe the time that this guy had grown up.

Phil never said "Black People Were 'Happy' Pre-Civil Rights"... he said they were happier "Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare".

But that isn't as juicy.

Now the NAACP has to join in on the action :

...Mr. Robertson claims that, from what he saw, African Americans were happier under Jim Crow.

--

This sort of thing disgusts me.