Offense... run the dang diamond formation more

tmfr15

Thinking about Auburn's offensive success and watching them run the diamond formation. The announcers in the Auburn-Mizzou game were talking about how great that look was and how difficult it was to stop.

Why are we not using that more? Cross, Abdualla and Newby should have all been in on a ton of plays last year.

Am I crazy?

It could be any number of reasons. For one, I see it run a lot by mobile quarterbacks, though I have seen more traditional QB's run it too. But, with RKIII in, I imagine it's not something we were going to use much. And TA may have not felt comfortable running plays out of that formation yet. Plus, against MSU, we ran it early in the game, TA/Newby had a bad pitch exchange and we turned the ball over.

This is purely speculative but I would bet we tried not to put too much on TA's plate and that's why we didn't see it much this year. If TM had stayed healthy, we may have seen it more.

The reason the diamond is deadly is because it's a really dramatic change of pace. The more we use it the less effective it is.

Could we use it more than we do? Probably. Beck loves going to it only between the 40-25 yard lines and take big shots with it. Should we use it as a base 'feature' of our offense? I don't think so.

Thinking about Auburn's offensive success and watching them run the diamond formation. The announcers in the Auburn-Mizzou game were talking about how great that look was and how difficult it was to stop.

Why are we not using that more? Cross, Abdualla and Newby should have all been in on a ton of plays last year.

Am I crazy?

not sure why Beck doesn't go there more often. :dunno

The reason the diamond is deadly is because it's a really dramatic change of pace. The more we use it the less effective it is. Could we use it more than we do? Probably. Beck loves going to it between the 40-25 yard lines and take big shots with it. Should we use it as a base 'feature' of our offense? I don't think so.

This!!! Can we pin this at the top of the board, and direct people to it when they start this topic!

Use it as our base offense, you can do so many things with it. Like Auburn and Stanford have shown this year, you don't need many formations to be successful, line up, shift a guy and run the play. Sweeps, screens, draws, deep play action pass, triple option would provide plenty of looks for the defense.

Sounds like a different version of Tom's offense. QB in shotgun instead of under center.

• Fire 1

Asking Beck to run the ball??

head-exploding-o.gif

My thoughts exactly... then you will have people bring up the run/pass ratio, but that stat doesn't show the types of running plays he calls.

"Lets run Abdullah up the gut! Damn he didn't go anywhere. Maybe if we try that exact play/formation again, we will fool the defense. Shucks, it still didn't work. Now my favorite part... PASSSSSS!!!"

or my favorite thing about Beck (total sarcasm), is him making our QB's play in a position they are not strong at doing. IE Taylor being strictly a pocket passer (Minnesota game), and RKIII running a zone read option (Iowa game). I still chuckle and sometimes get embarrassed that we had to actually witness such a thing. How about we stop forcing our QB's to play your system, and base a system strictly off your QB? Then, recruit QB's who fit that same system???

• Fire 2