Strong to TexASS

coop

I don't see why race even needs to be mentioned with respect to this hire or any other hire

Anyway I don't think this is the best get for Texas. We'll see though. Curious to see if he'll bring Shawn Watson with him...wouldn't that be the ultimate redemption for him haha. Let go at Nebraska, end up at TEXAS.

talked to a buddy of mine today that played for him at ole miss. he said he was no bullsh#t, took no crap from nobody and you did what he told you to do. said he was physically intimidating an you didn't dare disappoint . he thinks the hire is a great and thinks Texas could really go on a run..as in NC's.... he also brought up the point that has been made in this thread as a huge positive...

Red McCombs bashes Texas hire

"I think the whole thing is a bit sideways," McCombs said of the selection process during an interview with ESPN 1250 San Antonio. "I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

"But I don't believe [he belongs at] what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at UT-Austin. I don't think it adds up."

McCombs, the former owner of the San Antonio Spurs, Denver Nuggets and Minnesota Vikings and co-founder of Clear Channel Communications, said on "The Blitz with Dat Nguyen and Jason Minnix" that he was stunned to learn Strong was the choice to replace Mack Brown.

He publicly lobbied last week for Texas to hire former NFL coach and ESPN analyst Jon Gruden.

"I think it is a kick in the face," McCombs said. "Beyond the fact of what actually happened. We have boosters that have a lot of knowledge about the game. When we decided to go get Mack -- from the time we decided to go get Mack to about 30 hours later to have a press conference here and it was done -- we had a lot of input before we went after him.

Red McCombs bashes Texas hire

"I think the whole thing is a bit sideways," McCombs said of the selection process during an interview with ESPN 1250 San Antonio. "I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

"But I don't believe [he belongs at] what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at UT-Austin. I don't think it adds up."

McCombs, the former owner of the San Antonio Spurs, Denver Nuggets and Minnesota Vikings and co-founder of Clear Channel Communications, said on "The Blitz with Dat Nguyen and Jason Minnix" that he was stunned to learn Strong was the choice to replace Mack Brown.

He publicly lobbied last week for Texas to hire former NFL coach and ESPN analyst Jon Gruden.

"I think it is a kick in the face," McCombs said. "Beyond the fact of what actually happened. We have boosters that have a lot of knowledge about the game. When we decided to go get Mack -- from the time we decided to go get Mack to about 30 hours later to have a press conference here and it was done -- we had a lot of input before we went after him.

Strong is all that was left for Texas........which will probably still be better than Mack Daddy!

Strong does not have the ability or desire to rub elbows with the media and boosters. That could be his downfall at Texas.

Yeah. And it's a particular requirement of that job. More so than nearly any other HC job in the nation.

Should be interesting to watch.

Red McCombs told the San Antonio Express-News (http://bit.ly/1hAuRxV ) he had phoned Strong to apologize and promised Strong his ''total support.'' Strong told him that an apology was unnecessary, he said.

''He wanted my help and my support. I told him I'd be happy to do it,'' McCombs said.

McCombs has donated millions to Texas, and his name is on one side of the football stadium.

Backing off his doosh stance. :lol:

Red McCombs told the San Antonio Express-News (http://bit.ly/1hAuRxV ) he had phoned Strong to apologize and promised Strong his ''total support.'' Strong told him that an apology was unnecessary, he said.

''He wanted my help and my support. I told him I'd be happy to do it,'' McCombs said.

McCombs has donated millions to Texas, and his name is on one side of the football stadium.

I'm sure he does.