B1G West

Sparker

I think the deal is that under current NCAA rules a conference must have two divisions in order to play a championship game. It's why the Big 12 doesn't play one.

Not true. You need 12 or more teams. The Big 12 is trying to challenge this, which shows how much conference championships are motivated by money, not fairness. The Big 12 has the best system right now (10 teams, 9 conference games, each team plays each other once).

NCAA rule 17.9.5.2 © states “a conference championship game between division champions of a member conference of 12 or more institutions that is divided into two divisions (of six or more institutions each), each of which conducts round-robin, regular-season competition among the members of that division.”

Not true. You need 12 or more teams. The Big 12 is trying to challenge this, which shows how much conference championships are motivated by money, not fairness. The Big 12 has the best system right now (10 teams, 9 conference games, each team plays each other once).

No, no, no. You must not be listing to the Big XII's talking points. They are happy just how they are without their conference championship game. Just ask them. They'll tell you.

I really can't stand this new conference. Oh yes I know there are so many great things about it and academics and such. But... no. College football was built around the concept of conferences as small groups of schools within a close geographic proximity that played each other every year.

Now we play Michigan, what, every five years? And we're somehow in the same conference with teams in New Jersey and Maryland? Just a short 18 hour drive to catch the game.

Close geographic proximity has not been a huge concern for over 20 years. And never was for the PAC or ACC. Oregon to Arizona and Boston to Florida. Even Lincoln to Texas, or Boulder to Texas was not exactly a short trip.

The length of the trip to Columbus is about the same as our longest trip in the Texas conference.

I really can't stand this new conference. Oh yes I know there are so many great things about it and academics and such. But... no. College football was built around the concept of conferences as small groups of schools within a close geographic proximity that played each other every year.

Now we play Michigan, what, every five years? And we're somehow in the same conference with teams in New Jersey and Maryland? Just a short 18 hour drive to catch the game.

Close geographic proximity has not been a huge concern for over 20 years. And never was for the PAC or ACC. Oregon to Arizona and Boston to Florida. Even Lincoln to Texas, or Boulder to Texas was not exactly a short trip.

The length of the trip to Columbus is about the same as our longest trip in the Texas conference.

Youre correct. There was a deal done when we joined the conference. I wish I could find it. I went to Googlemaps and found the distances from Lincoln (I know that dont cover all fans or even most fans, but it was the central point I used) to all Big 12 cities and all Big 10 cities. On some years, the Big 10 traveling was even less total and average miles depending on the schedule. I should find it and redo it with Rutgers and Maryland in the conference. But all in all, the longer distances were not as drastic. It just seems so cuz we added a super long on to Happy valley, and lost our backyard games in Manhatten and Lawrence.

Florida Atlantic - W

McNeese State - W

Fresno State - W

Miami FL - W

Illinois - W

Michigan State - W

Northwestern - W

Rutgers - L

Purdue - W

Wisconsin - L

Minnesota - W

Iowa - L

9-3 overall 5-3 in conference, Rutgers is our annual loss to an unranked team.

We will lose to Fresno St or Miami, plus Michigan State and Wisconsin. We won't lose to Rutgers and we get revenge on Iowa. If we drop a "should-win" it will be Minnesota or Northwestern.

Florida Atlantic - W

McNeese State - W

Fresno State - W

Miami FL - W

Illinois - W

Michigan State - W

Northwestern - W

Rutgers - L

Purdue - W

Wisconsin - L

Minnesota - W

Iowa - L

We will lose to Fresno St or Miami, plus Michigan State and Wisconsin. We won't lose to Rutgers and we get revenge on Iowa. If we drop a "should-win" it will be Minnesota or Northwestern.

i don't think we will lose to Frenso....Derek Carr for one thing is gone...

Florida Atlantic - W

McNeese State - W

Fresno State - W

Miami FL - W

Illinois - W

Michigan State - W

Northwestern - W

Rutgers - L

Purdue - W

Wisconsin - L

Minnesota - W

Iowa - L

I'm dumb and don't keep up with things but who is MSU losing? See you guys picking that as a win and Wisconsin or Rutgers as a loss kind of puzzles me. I'm of the thinking that:

1. East Lansing can prove to be just as inhospitable as Camp Randall in many ways.

2. Dantonio is one of the best coaches in the country and probably the best, or tied for the best, in the league.

3. If they bring back half as many guys as UW brings back they'll still be tough...what I mean is, I'd be more apt to mark MSU as a loss than UW.

4. You have a bye before UW but not before MSU. More to make me think you'll do better against the Badgers than against the Spartans.

All of that is without me knowing what talent they're losing so feel free to pick that apart.

Maybe I can see where you're coming from:

1. You all have played them every year now so the coaches should be familiar with them.

2. Beat them there in '12.

3. Last matchup, while a blowout, would probably have been much closer w/o the turnovers so if those are under control this one may go better.

4. Illinois game the week before should be light.

Still though if I'm a Nebraska fan and I have to pick one game next year as a probable loss it's MSU, not UW which I feel is a toss up looking at it right now. Most of your tougher games (Iowa, UW) at their very worst are tosses not losses...just too early to tell.

Huskerboard's most hated poster

brick-lol.gif

Please, I'd earned that position and put it in my sig before that guy even joined. I see Foppa is viewing this thread and I'm sure he can offer his standard critique of me that will confirm my throne and my accompanying titles of most pathetic, biggest attention w***e and worst troll. The trifecta of hate. Also in the running for the '13-14 Peoples' Banishment Choice award...at least three posters have called for it in just the past month.

Hedley who?

If Tommy Armstrong wins the QB battle...we'll go 9-4. If Johnny Stanton wins the QB battle, we'll go 9-4. If Tim Beck gets abducted by aliens and Tommy Lee becomes the OC...we win 10 games. (Just because I'm pretty sure he can aim drumsticks at opponents' eyes fairly well even through a facemask)

Seriously, who knows? Offseason. S.O.S. How good did everything look until this past season when half the team turned into a pool of tapioca pudding?

Huskerboard's most hated poster

brick-lol.gif

Please, I'd earned that position and put it in my sig before that guy even joined. I see Foppa is viewing this thread and I'm sure he can offer his standard critique of me that will confirm my throne and my accompanying titles of most pathetic, biggest attention w***e and worst troll. The trifecta of hate. Also in the running for the '13-14 Peoples' Banishment Choice award...at least three posters have called for it in just the past month.

Hedley who?

oh-i-just-realized-i-hate-you.gif

• Fire 1