B1G West

Sparker

Well, now there is some down time and I know this has been discussed but since we have an idea of which players will be returning/starting next season, how do you all think we look in the B1G West?

Personally, it reminds me a lot of the B12 North, a weak division that most seasons we will have a "should win" mentality about. Not saying Wisconsin is a cupcake at all, and Minnesota/Iowa/Northwestern have given us fits since joining, but how do you see it going? What percentage do you expect to see the Huskers winning the west?

Coin flip. 50/50. Our true identity remains to be seen. Defensively we are growing, but will we take the next step. Offense, with Ameer coming back we have a constant, but there are also so many questions. We honestly can't say for certain who will be taking the snaps come start of the season. There are, in my opinion, just as many bright spots as there are questions that need to be answered.

Nebraska 40

Wisconsin 30

Iowa 20

Others 10

photo-10385.png

Ha ha! What's up with the Puffalo avatar, Bucky? :lol:

/ edit1: And Landlordy too! Is this some new pony/funny guy thing? LULZ

/ edit2: Penalty for campaigning. Ha HA! (in Nelson Muntz voice)

I really can't stand this new conference. Oh yes I know there are so many great things about it and academics and such. But... no. College football was built around the concept of conferences as small groups of schools within a close geographic proximity that played each other every year.

Now we play Michigan, what, every five years? And we're somehow in the same conference with teams in New Jersey and Maryland? Just a short 18 hour drive to catch the game.

• Fire 3

I really can't stand this new conference. Oh yes I know there are so many great things about it and academics and such. But... no. College football was built around the concept of conferences as small groups of schools within a close geographic proximity that played each other every year.

Now we play Michigan, what, every five years? And we're somehow in the same conference with teams in New Jersey and Maryland? Just a short 18 hour drive to catch the game.

Close geographic proximity has not been a huge concern for over 20 years. And never was for the PAC or ACC. Oregon to Arizona and Boston to Florida. Even Lincoln to Texas, or Boulder to Texas was not exactly a short trip.

We do get to play Ohio State 6 of our first 9 years. The only year we do not play either Michigan or Ohio State is next year.

2014 Conference Schedule

- 09.27 - vs. Illinois (1-7)

- 10.04 - @ Michigan State (8-0)

BYE

- 10.18 - @ Northwestern (1-7)

- 10.25 - vs. Rutgers (0-0)

- 11.01 - vs. Purdue (0-8)

BYE

- 11.15 - @ Wisconsin (6-2)

- 11.22 - vs. Minnesota (4-4)

- 11.28 - @ Iowa (5-3)

I think the schedule really sets up nicely for Nebraska next season.

Illinois serves as our conference warm-up game.

Sparty provides our first, and perhaps biggest, challenge of the season. In East Lansing against the reigning conference champs WITHOUT Taylor Martinez? Woof.

After a BYE we travel to Evanston for the easiest of our 4 road games. I'm sure Northwestern will be ready for payback after the Westerkatch.

Hi Rutgers. Bye Rutgers. Have a nice trip back to New Jersey.

Hi Purdue. Bye Purdue. Have a nice trip back to West Lafayette.

After another much needed BYE week, we must go back to Madison. It will be huge for the future rivalry to not get stomped again. It could decide the division after all.

The Gophers comes to town and I'm hoping for a dominant effort after what they did to us last season. Can't lose to Minnesota at home.

And we wrap it up in that barren wasteland otherwise known as Iowa City. I'm just hoping it's not as cold and windy this time around. Never know what to expect on Black Friday.