Bigger home field advantage: Husker football or Husker basketball?

NUance

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I give the football team the vote here for a couple of reasons. First, the sheer size of the stadium and the amount of people watching is more impactful IMHO than in a basketball arena. Second, the football team is a better team than the basketball team right now. And the success of a team correlates with whether it has a good home field advantage or not. Nebrasketball is still likely going to lose most of it's conference games and finish in the bottom quarter of the B1G, and like I said, I think that plays a factor.

That said, the PBA could eventually outdo Memorial Stadium. If Miles is able to do some really good things with the program, that arena fits a lot of people AND seats students the right way. The AD has their reasons for the way seating is set up in Memorial, but PBA does it better.

You have to really define this down a bit. There is no home site advantage if the home team is getting killed. And cheer as hard as you want, if the home team is getting killed, it would not make much difference.

If the stakes are high. The teams are evenly matched. And the contest is thrilling throughout with a red hot finish... would the crowd noise and intensity mess up the other team and there by lead to a victory?

I went with Memorial Stadium. 92,000+ screaming and cheering. That's pretty intense.

I think the PBA (with time and wins) will get much better than current.

Once the body of work (fans) get a clue as to how to make an impact on a game (See --> Phog Allen Fieldhouse) the Huskers will be all the tougher to beat at home!

I'm thinking basketball. Pinnacle Bank Arena rocks. Memorial stadium is more of a respectful, kindly atmosphere for visitors.

I agree with you on the Pinnacle rocks, but Memorial stadium has always been a respectful, kindly atmosphere. However Memorial stadium used to rock the same way from 66/67 thru the mid eighties, and a small stretch in the mid 90's. Now BB is on the rise from ashes, kinda like the FB team in the late to early 60's. BB hasn't been there yet so the fans are excited with the direction the team is headed. The FB fans are just the opposite, because we've been there, they expect them to maintain that status every yr. When things aren't going the way they expect, they sit on their hands and don't jump around like we used to. I blame most of this on two things. One the student section, the other are the old timers like myself that are just happy to watch them play, the passion of youth is gone. Personally, I don't like the we alums are given preferred seating by the amount of donations. It's a money thing, and usually money sits and chats, lays back and waits for something exciting to happen instead of getting off their old duffs and making some noise to pump up the team. I haven't heard a great GBR chant in over 20 yrs. The stadium used to be deafening with GBR and DEFENSE chants.

• Fire 1

Anyone else see Iowa come into Memorial Stadium and thrash us? The basketball equivalent for us would be if Penn State comes into The Bank and wins by like 30 this year, which would never happen. When we play in The Bank we've got a shot at anyone, regardless of how bad we might be.

I've also always been a believer that indoor venues, despite the lower capacity, give you much better noise advantage over outdoor venues.

I think that the Pinn, right now, MAYBE brings an edge over memorial. I love basketball probably more than the average Nebraskan (I liked husker hoops before it was cool, guys.) With our shiny new arena and our shiny new Tim Miles, people are coming in droves. Which is awesome (I guess, although being a hipster I liked it when less people showed up to games and I could sneak down to better seats after the first half). But the Bob wasn't a very intimidating house to come into, and the PBA (or the pinn, or the bank, or "what's that weird space ship by the trains daddy?") wouldn't be without the crowds. And I'm not super convinced the crowds will remain this high, although things are certainly looking up.

I still voted for Memorial because it's consistently sold out and consistently has lots of people. PBA is new and still swathed in mystery.