Huskers viewing Hboard

All he's saying is that this negative criticism doesn't play a factor at all (or if it does, it's negligible) in the outcome of games.

I would also say this is an assumption that can't be proven or disproven. Every single week we see plenty of college teams come out and struggle with, or lose to, inferior opponents. Many times there is no good explanation for why it happens, it just does. Did the coaches suddenly forget how to properly coach on that week? Probably not. So who is to say that doesn't play a role for some players or teams?

I think dismissing it out of hand is rather naive.

All he's saying is that this negative criticism doesn't play a factor at all (or if it does, it's negligible) in the outcome of games.

I would also say this is an assumption that can't be proven or disproven. Every single week we see plenty of college teams come out and struggle with, or lose to, inferior opponents. Many times there is no good explanation for why it happens, it just does. Did the coaches suddenly forget how to properly coach on that week? Probably not. So who is to say that doesn't play a role for some players or teams?

I think dismissing it out of hand is rather naive.

Never dismissed it; if it is part of the equation it goes along with numerous other factors, some of which are inherently more important (like not throwing picks) whatever contribution negative criticism uniquely adds is very small.

How disappointed do you think Husker players must be with this thread? If I'm a Husker player visiting HB this is probably the first thread I click...then anything I'd see about myself or friends...but this thread is so boring. We should give them the entertainment and outrage they came here expecting to read:

We know everything about football. What a team needs to do to win...why someone had a bad game...what's going on at home and within the offices. Our tweets are pure truth and the only people that don't have insider sources here are the insiders themselves. We know it all and our judgement is infallible.

There.

Never dismissed it; if it is part of the equation it goes along with numerous other factors, some of which are inherently more important (like not throwing picks) whatever contribution negative criticism uniquely adds is very small.

Except what you are doing is dismissing it as "very small" or, in other words, negligible. That's dismissing it. The problem is, you're far over simplifying the human psyche, especially at that age.

Edit - And we're not just talking about normal negative criticism here, let's be clear. This is stuff like people ripping into Bell on a personal level because he dropped some balls during a game or two. Dismissing that showing up on a person's Twitter account as having no chance at making a significant impact on a person's subconscious is what is naive.

Except what you are doing is dismissing it as "very small" or, in other words, negligible. That's dismissing it. The problem is, you're far over simplifying the human psyche, especially at that age.

Edit - And we're not just talking about normal negative criticism here, let's be clear. This is stuff like people ripping into Bell on a personal level because he dropped some balls during a game or two. Dismissing that showing up on a person's Twitter account as having no chance at making a significant impact on a person's subconscious is what is naive.

To the bold: Believe me. I know I'm not.

I'm 21 years old as well. I'm not talking from a perspective of someone who is 40, I'm talking from a perspective of someone the same age as the people we're talking about. I wouldn't like the over-the-top criticism that our players and all players receive. I think it's dumb, which is why I'm posting that it's dumb and unnecessary. But there should come a point when you realize that those people who go over the top just don't matter. Reducing their importance reduces any effect they can have over you. KB shouldn't care that @HUSKAS4EVA thinks he's stupid. KB should care when @HuskersDaBest3OH3 tells him tough game, stay focused or great game, you're awesome.

Kenny Bell never dropped a pass because somebody thought he was stupid. Kenny Bell might not have practiced hard because he may have been too focused on social media and not focused enough on practice. Or Kenny Bell may have dropped a pass because he is human, and things don't always go right.

We're going to have to agree to disagree, but I just can't see any situation where over the top negativism from anonymous people has a significant effect on a player's performance.

They're all kids. And the sooner they realize that none of this sh#t matters, the better off they will be. For Christs sake, Sipple still hasn't figured it out so I understand when kids take these things too seriously. It doesn't matter.

If you have to look for outside sources to find positive fuel, motivation towards your goals, then you're missing something. It goes both ways. If you allow negativity from outside sources, especially people you don't even know, to truly affect your life, then you're missing something.

Be your own source of fuel. Find reasons in your own life to be up. Don't look for reasons to be down. I'm no expert but God as my witness, if you had a clue about all the things that could have me down right now, you would just trust me. There are days when I have to find things to be excited about. And I do.

Any players reading this should know that most hb fans become frustrated because we care so darn much about this team and do something stupid like voicing our expediant opinion only when we are on the wrong side of the outcome. Even then, the few remaining others would still find something to complain about if we won every game. Text on the internet is just that and should carry no weight in day-to-day affairs.

The husker fan base is more tame than most.. all fan bases have these boards and all of them say positive and negative things.... dont take it offensively.. that is part of the game.

Well there is that one Bamy site where you cannot say ANYTHING bad about Bamy/players/Bear Bryant or else you get immediately banned.

Ohhhhhh... which one?! I have never been banned before! LOL

That would be the infamous tidefans.com.

Some of their rules:

infractions.png

strikes.png

LSU fans were banned following Bama's 2011 6-9 OT loss to the Tigers and are still banned some 26 months later.

eGUwwBR.jpg

But it's not as if fans of other teams are really allowed either. It's the largest sunshine pump I've seen on the internet.

I find it interesting how message boards can in some ways reflect the general culture...or stereotyped culture...of a school's fans. Bama's largest board is huge, crazy and isolationist. LSU's largest board has devolved into a hugely successful arena for throw downs between fans from across the SEC while Kansas State's is just one gigantic vulgar troll board.

whats the name of this LSU one?

I never said it doesn't bother them. Hell, I'm sure it would bother me. The point is it comes with the territory. Same with being a politician - answering to the media and the people you represent is part of being a public figure. Division one athletes and pro athletes are public figures in many ways and representatives of their respective organizations. A lot of players love attention when things are going great and shun from it when things are sour. That's human nature, but it's also human nature to call them out on their bull****.

Which brings me back to my original point that ridiculous stuff from the fan base has to be ignored. It may have some affect on the outcomes of games, and it may not. I'm not going to argue that one way or the other. If you want to see crazy, passionate, but absolutely INSANE fans, go look at Alabama. A lot of those fans are certifiably crazy, and they illustrate it after a loss. But, a team like Alabama has shown it can bounce back and win big games regardless of outside criticism, and that's how it needs to be done.

Look at a guy like RGIII, too. He was loving the limelight, the sponsorship deals, being called one of the greatest rookie QB's ever, etc. Then, stuff got bad and all of a sudden he's calling out fans and media on Twitter for bashing him. Was some of it unwarranted? Sure. But, like I've said, it comes with the territory. If you love the attention when things are going well, don't come complaining to us when things are going bad. I'm mostly speaking in generalities here BTW.

• Fire 3