Football Coaches Get Extensions

Mavric

Jesus, status quo. Why change anything? Everything is perfect.

The decision was already made to keep them for this year, which I think made this the logical and necessary next step...an extension for assistants isn't necessarily cementing everything as perfect.

Unless we see a seven win season or Bo decides he wants to leave I were a betting man I would have bet SE has been given notice he has a year to prove he is AD worthy. I'm also guessing we may have a new Chancellor before fall if certain directives aren't met and as of now there is an ego betting he can't be replaced.

I would agree with all of the things you said.

Special Teams has been horrid, as for the punt returning.

Punt returns have been horrid. Special teams hasn't.

Kickoff team has been fine.

Kickoff coverage team has been fine.

Punt team has been fine in coverage, less-than-ideal in punting.

Field goal team has been money.

Isn't that what I just said? "As for punt returning" Punt returning is part of special teams right? Never said anything outside of that category lol.

I've been as unhappy with our special teams (punt return) play as anyone but it is a little shortsighted to blame the decision to not try to block kicks or muffing catches on the unit coach. It has to be 100% Bo for the strategy/philosophy on ST and players have to catch the ball. Els surely isn't coaching them to muff it. Not saying he is totally blameless but there is lots of the equation he is not solely responsible for.

The grief that Ross Els catches is so god damn mind-boggling, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. That angst towars Cotton, Papuchis, Beck, and even Kascinski I can understand. But Els positions (LB's and recruiting) has been the most consistently improving aside from WR's in my mind.

nah. check that. He's in charge of special teams. I'll go run head first into a wall now.

I'm interested in knowing what coach Kaz has done to be on this list?

I read a claim that Ron Brown was actually in charge of punt returns and that ST duties are actually divided among a number of coaches. First time I've heard that; anyone verify?

Pretty sure that is correct. I think with Els having the Recruiting Coordinator spot the divided up the different Special Teams units between other coaches, even though Else is still ST Coord. I think Brown had Punt Return.

Eichorst wanted to "align all the assistants' end dates," according to a spokeswoman.

NU coaches' annual base salaries (last year's salary in parentheses):

-- Tim Beck $700,000 ($700,000)

-- John Papuchis $310,000 ($310,000)

-- Ron Brown $254,800 ($254,800)

-- Barney Cotton $254,800 ($254,800)

-- Ross Els $238,900 ($230,000)

-- Rick Kaczenski $225,000 ($208,900)

-- Rich Fisher $200,000 ($200,000)

-- John Garrison $245,000 ($245,000)

LJS Article

Can't believe fisher is the lowest paid, he is one of the best! Wonder why this is? I thought he would have gotten a bump

I've been as unhappy with our special teams (punt return) play as anyone but it is a little shortsighted to blame the decision to not try to block kicks or muffing catches on the unit coach. It has to be 100% Bo for the strategy/philosophy on ST and players have to catch the ball. Els surely isn't coaching them to muff it. Not saying he is totally blameless but there is lots of the equation he is not solely responsible for.

It's not just that they don't try to block punts. They don't make the punter hurry and they don't block for a return either. Our returner needs to get more consistent at fielding the punt but that would probably happen if half the other team wasn't surrounding him as it's being caught.

I agree that it's likely Bo's philosophy because there's pretty much no other reason that such abysmal results would be the norm all season long.

The grief that Ross Els catches is so god damn mind-boggling, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. That angst towars Cotton, Papuchis, Beck, and even Kascinski I can understand. But Els positions (LB's and recruiting) has been the most consistently improving aside from WR's in my mind.

nah. check that. He's in charge of special teams. I'll go run head first into a wall now.

I'm interested in knowing what coach Kaz has done to be on this list?

So am I, but he's caught greif nonetheless. But I do understand, because the Dline was rather atrocious at times in 2012 and 2013. Not that the talent/experience levels were of his doings, but nonetheless.........

It basically falls into my whole line of thought of "what the bajeebus?"