Spring Practice Dumpster Fire

Mavric

So has anyone visited stupidgifs.com yet

I'd plus 1 this, but apparently when you run out, you run out for the "day". Which on huskerboard appears to be 43 hours.

You think you should just automatically get more +1's every day without making significant changes?

#Entitled

Goddamn it that's two posts now! This is horrible.

Armstrong will start day 1 - not Stanton, not Turner....Armstrong. We will also win a conference championship with him by the time he is done (haven't won one since 99' mind you). Will our defense be better than when Martinez was here? Yes, which helps.

I agree with King about leadership and just a different mentality about the team. Tommy is the closest guy that resembles what Frazier brought to this team. A guy who had swagger about him that people rallied around and leadership. Taylor didn't have those qualities.

Tommy does need to work on his medium passing game which was evident when I watched his HS game film. He also does put too much air sometimes on the ball. To say he doesn't have a cannon is comical though. Regardless, Taylor did some great things for us, but it is time to move on. I cannot wait to see what Tommy does going forward because I have been excited about him since day 1.

If we win a CCG with whomever is QB, it will be more about having a good defense, actually catching punts and making a decent return and ball security by EVERYONE on the team, not just at one position. These are things we've been lacking for the 4 previous years.

Fwiw, I'll back the king on his claim about Quincy from last year, i remember him saying pretty much exactly what the king claims. Problem is that it doesn't hold much water when Q was putting balls on the turf regardless of who was throwing them, and his numbers were worse after the first 4 games.

• Fire 1

Can we shut the f#*k up about Martinez? We all know he played his heart out, and was warrior. But we have a QB battle going on right now that's a little more imporatn than how many fumbles Martinez had in his career.

I think Tommy starts the first couple of games, but by the time Miami comes around we see Stanton used more and more.

Thank you!!!!!

Cross back up to 230 lbs after trimming down to 219 last spring. Says that's where he wants to be.

LJS Article

3rd down back all the way. Not a lot of people talked about it, but Cross's carries would instantly go up if Nebraskas offense just gets themselves into more manageable 3rd down situations. 3rd and 1-3 yards equals instant carries for Cross, especially at that weight, you would think. That would instantly settle the Huskerboard dispute on splitting carries between these guys.

I'm pretty sure the concept of "3rd down back" isn't something seen very often anymore. Too easy to key on for defenses. At least thats my thought process on it. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm 26 years old and coached for 4 years. I know that I still have a long ways to go in the football knowledge department in terms of scheme. Always learning. I just think that there are easier ways to get 3 yards than to ram your head against a wall. :dunno

Thats just my philosophy though.

I'm sure Stanford has something to say about that...

Edit: Also, I was sitting in on the RB's session at the coaches clinic listening to Coach Brown talk about drills and scheme and all that jazz. There was one specific clip he showed us, it was Cross, and he was talking about how Cross has a tendency to run too tall. His pad level needs to get lower. In the clip he got "should have scored a TD" but instead looked like he was crowd surfing in a group of guys. Maybe this has a part in Cross not getting carries. Rather than his weight.

Did you enjoy the coaches clinic? There were grumblings other places that it was half assed and not worth people's time. I am curious to actually hear a real critique of it.

Cross back up to 230 lbs after trimming down to 219 last spring. Says that's where he wants to be.

LJS Article

3rd down back all the way. Not a lot of people talked about it, but Cross's carries would instantly go up if Nebraskas offense just gets themselves into more manageable 3rd down situations. 3rd and 1-3 yards equals instant carries for Cross, especially at that weight, you would think. That would instantly settle the Huskerboard dispute on splitting carries between these guys.

I'm pretty sure the concept of "3rd down back" isn't something seen very often anymore. Too easy to key on for defenses. At least thats my thought process on it. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm 26 years old and coached for 4 years. I know that I still have a long ways to go in the football knowledge department in terms of scheme. Always learning. I just think that there are easier ways to get 3 yards than to ram your head against a wall. :dunno

Thats just my philosophy though.

I'm sure Stanford has something to say about that...

Edit: Also, I was sitting in on the RB's session at the coaches clinic listening to Coach Brown talk about drills and scheme and all that jazz. There was one specific clip he showed us, it was Cross, and he was talking about how Cross has a tendency to run too tall. His pad level needs to get lower. In the clip he got "should have scored a TD" but instead looked like he was crowd surfing in a group of guys. Maybe this has a part in Cross not getting carries. Rather than his weight.

Yuuuup! Been saying this for a long time. Cross is a man-child and could be nearly unstoppable in short yardage situations, but he doesn't run that way.

There were grumblings other places that it was half assed and not worth people's time. I

I'm shocked that you would have heard that.

Yes and I decided to ask someone's opinion who was actually there. I feel I could probably form an opinion with such information. Kind of a kooky thing I do.

Did you enjoy the coaches clinic? There were grumblings other places that it was half assed and not worth people's time. I am curious to actually hear a real critique of it.

Polo, I enjoyed it, It was my first time going, normally I had scheduling conflicts with it. Thursday night was really good, which was a lot of position specific stuff. I was only able to see Coach Els for LB's on defense and then Coach Brown for RB's on offense. Els admitted that he was doing the same presentation from the year before. Exactly the same. The drills he showed to us on film weren't even current players. Compton, Whaley, etc...

Coach Brown on the other hand had current film and game clips also used some from previous season. I really took away a lot from that man, but anyone who knows Coach Brown, knows he is going to give his best effort and whatever he does.

Strength and Conditioning I liked, I think we have a good group of guys that run that specific part of the program. As for Friday, I wasn't impressed with the Offense session schematically at all. It was hard for me to focus because I kept getting annoyed with the fuzziness coming through the speakers...made it hard to concentrate. The high school coaches they brought in were good I thought, really more so for younger coaches like myself. Then Ed Orgeron, wow, I REALLY want him to come on staff in some capacity. I think this guy really knows his stuff. I just don't think he wants to be an assistant anymore. Dude really wants another crack at a head job and he deserves it. He identified what he did wrong at Ole Miss and how/what he would change and what they did change at USC.

Good camp. We didn't stay for Saturday because we had to get back home. I had nothing prior to compare it too so I can't give too accurate of an assessment/critique.

Edit: Also it was stated through out the camp about how Nebraska has the best in mind for these kids and that comes from Orgeron, he said Nebraska is such a "process program" its about the kids and not about winning and losing, etc. For whatever reason this spoke to me, because in amateur sports, it really is just about the kids and turning them into respectable/professional people.

• Fire 4
There were grumblings other places that it was half assed and not worth people's time. I

I'm shocked that you would have heard that.

Yes and I decided to ask someone's opinion who was actually there. I feel I could probably form an opinion with such information. Kind of a kooky thing I do.

Sounds like my influence is rubbing off on you. There's hope for you yet, young Jedi.

Edit: Also it was stated through out the camp about how Nebraska has the best in mind for these kids and that comes from Orgeron, he said Nebraska is such a "process program" its about the kids and not about winning and losing, etc. For whatever reason this spoke to me, because in amateur sports, it really is just about the kids and turning them into respectable/professional people.

unfortunately for most top notch programs it IS ALL ABOUT WINNING!. Alabama, Florida, USC, they turn out highly recruited kids for the NFL....consistently.

unfortunately for most top notch programs it IS ALL ABOUT WINNING!. Alabama, Florida, USC, they turn out highly recruited kids for the NFL....consistently.

I don't think that turning kids into NFL ballers should be the end all be all approach. Orgeron even spoke about this. The average NFL career is how many years? Then what are those kids suppose to do? Are they going to contribute to society or are they going to be a detriment? This is why I had the one and done rule in the NBA. Life goes on after professional sports. This is why college is important. Pelini teaches these kids about LIFE. Its not just football all the time. I respect Bo for that and wouldn't trade him for 100 national championships if these are the relationships he's building here. Its not a one or the other thing, I am just saying I wouldn't trade Bo Pelini, who does things the right way, for someone like Butch Davis who can win, but gets there cheating...(that was the best example I could think of)

Edit: I think that this is why we see kids transfer out, because they don't want to go through the process of doing the work. They want a spot given to them. Not 100% why, but definitely some.