Spring Practice Dumpster Fire

Mavric

Edit: Also it was stated through out the camp about how Nebraska has the best in mind for these kids and that comes from Orgeron, he said Nebraska is such a "process program" its about the kids and not about winning and losing, etc. For whatever reason this spoke to me, because in amateur sports, it really is just about the kids and turning them into respectable/professional people.

unfortunately for most top notch programs it IS ALL ABOUT WINNING!. Alabama, Florida, USC, they turn out highly recruited kids for the NFL....consistently.

I don't think that turning kids into NFL ballers should be the end all be all approach. Orgeron even spoke about this. The average NFL career is how many years? Then what are those kids suppose to do? Are they going to contribute to society or are they going to be a detriment? This is why I had the one and done rule in the NBA. Life goes on after professional sports. This is why college is important. Pelini teaches these kids about LIFE. Its not just football all the time. I respect Bo for that and wouldn't trade him for 100 national championships if these are the relationships he's building here. Its not a one or the other thing, I am just saying I wouldn't trade Bo Pelini, who does things the right way, for someone like Butch Davis who can win, but gets there cheating...(that was the best example I could think of)

Edit: I think that this is why we see kids transfer out, because they don't want to go through the process of doing the work. They want a spot given to them. Not 100% why, but definitely some.

From 1996 through about 2010 I only missed maybe 3 coaches clinics. It really didn't matter who the head man was from TO to Pelini the clinic was set up and run the same. The food was even always the same. So you didn't get a whole lot of variety. Two years in a row the same HC from Midland Lee HS in Texas spoke and he gave the exact same speech both times.

The clinic used to be later into spring ball. It used to be the week before the spring game, so we always got to watch a scrimmage. The best part of the clinic was the drill sessions the coaches would do with the players. That was helpful.

Clinics are nice but a lot of rah, rah stuff. If you can get 1-2 good things from what you here that you can use consider that a successful clinic. For it was mostly a day out of school to have a little fun, learn a little something and see what the team looked like.

• Fire 1
Cross back up to 230 lbs after trimming down to 219 last spring. Says that's where he wants to be.

LJS Article

3rd down back all the way. Not a lot of people talked about it, but Cross's carries would instantly go up if Nebraskas offense just gets themselves into more manageable 3rd down situations. 3rd and 1-3 yards equals instant carries for Cross, especially at that weight, you would think. That would instantly settle the Huskerboard dispute on splitting carries between these guys.

I'm pretty sure the concept of "3rd down back" isn't something seen very often anymore. Too easy to key on for defenses. At least thats my thought process on it. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm 26 years old and coached for 4 years. I know that I still have a long ways to go in the football knowledge department in terms of scheme. Always learning. I just think that there are easier ways to get 3 yards than to ram your head against a wall. :dunno

Thats just my philosophy though.

I'm sure Stanford has something to say about that...

Edit: Also, I was sitting in on the RB's session at the coaches clinic listening to Coach Brown talk about drills and scheme and all that jazz. There was one specific clip he showed us, it was Cross, and he was talking about how Cross has a tendency to run too tall. His pad level needs to get lower. In the clip he got "should have scored a TD" but instead looked like he was crowd surfing in a group of guys. Maybe this has a part in Cross not getting carries. Rather than his weight.

I agree completely. There are other ways, better.....maybe. Either way, as predictable as it may be, predictability can be utilized in our favor. For instance, a guy like Cross, a great combo of size and athleticism, can get that grinder first down or you can fake to him and dump it back to him five yards down field. Hes still a threat in open space IMO. Or as far as your Stanford comment, I think you are alluding to our use of the TE, or at least I hope so because I've been saying this for a long time now. I love how Stanford uses their TE's sometimes in twin sets. They play action to short TE routes beautifully. Their offense is probably my favorite to watch, and like you say, that five yard out route to a TE can be just as easy as that handoff to the RB, yet its almost indefensible if the TE sells his block and releases quickly. It's simple, but technical. I hope Nebraska works on it.

I wasn't alluding to the TE's but I will allow you to think that I was. :P As that part of their offense works amazing for them. I was actually referring to their power play which is like "ramming your head into a wall" on 3rd and short. Which ever works. You made me sound smart, I like it when people do that for me! Haha!

I wasn't alluding to the TE's but I will allow you to think that I was. :P As that part of their offense works amazing for them. I was actually referring to their power play which is like "ramming your head into a wall" on 3rd and short. Which ever works. You made me sound smart, I like it when people do that for me! Haha!

Haha! Works for me man.

Edit: I'm used to going on long rants that are based on something nobody ever said in the first place. LOL

Cornerback Jonathan Rose didn’t practice Wednesday because of what Pelini called “a class issue.” Boaz Joseph got reps with the first team in Rose’s place at cornerback.

Sounds like it was a scheduling conflict as opposed to a grade issue (just for clarification).

Ya I almost posted a rant about grade issues or something like that but then realized it was probably more something like class/lab at that time.

Steven M. Sipple@HuskerExtraSip 5m

Let's just say Alex Lewis' motor runs hot. He's going to play through the whistle, at least.

Steven M. Sipple@HuskerExtraSip 1m

Think about Lewis and senior Jake Cotton on the left side of the #Huskers offensive line. I personally like that thought. Tons of fire.

So......we can expect another incident down the road?

Steven M. Sipple@HuskerExtraSip 5m

Let's just say Alex Lewis' motor runs hot. He's going to play through the whistle, at least.

Steven M. Sipple@HuskerExtraSip 1m

Think about Lewis and senior Jake Cotton on the left side of the #Huskers offensive line. I personally like that thought. Tons of fire.

So......we can expect another incident down the road?

Why would you even say this?

You really want to open that can of worms? How many turnovers did Taylor have as a freshman, sophomore, junior? Huh? I'm scared of what kind of decision maker he was if Tommy made "a lot". Taylor made a f#*k ton then. But, wait, Taylor was fast and he turned games around - Oh really? Taylor's frosh yr was a 70 QB rating, then it was 60 as a soph, then 70 again as a jr then 45 as a sr. Tommy Armstrong pretty much just had a similar year to T-Magic as a soph, but he was a frosh. Oh and not to mention, Taylor knew he was the #1 guy and it was his team. Tommy didn't know until after the season started.

And the next QB being either Armstrong or Stanton, whoever wins the job, will at least win a conference championship.

So much wrong in one post.

Martinez QB Rating:

2010: 138.8

2011: 126.5 - Coincided with the move to the B1G and still recovering from his injury

2012: 141.6

2013: 140.0

TA was 124.3

Interceptions:

2010: 7 on 196 attempts

2011: 8 on 288 attempts

2012: 12 on 368 attempts

2013: 2 on 110 attempts

TA had 8 INTs on 131 attempts.

Completion percentage:

2010: 59.2

2011: 56.2

2012: 62.0

2013: 62.7

TA had a 52% completion percentage

Taylor was a special player, if he had a decent defense backing him up we easily win the 2012 CCG, and would have had a chance to play for a natty (it was defensive failures that cost us games over the past 4 years and not the offense unless we are talking about games Taylor didn't play in like the loss to Iowa and Mich St).

If Armstrong wins anything it will be because of the much improved defense.

Edited to add completion percentage, I knew I forgot something.

I didn't even read any of that because I was using QBR, not rating. I think that's pretty evident if you look further than what you want to see.

Furthermore, why don't you try posting Taylor's total fumbles as well? And how many drives that f'd up? Might've not been a turnover, but it certainly f'd us numerous times.

You don't find it odd how much support Tommy got from the team as opposed to Taylor?

I didn't say Taylor was bad nor did I say Tommy was better, I just said we will win more games WITH WHOEVER THE NEXT QB is - because team chemistry is pretty damn important and so is leadership.

Oh and there is a fun story about Taylor overriding too many plays and getting us into worse positions.

I don't care if you don't like Taylor, but this is pure speculation. Until players start coming out and saying they didn't like him, then why bring this up? This was beat to death a couple years ago when the line was blocking poorly. Until players come forward and say Taylor wasn't a leader, or a bad influence in the locker room, or a poor teammate, don't bring it up. It's pointless. Why was Martinez even brought up in this forum? He's spent his four years of eligibility, and this thread pertains to next years roster.

see the 2:40 mark