Imani Cross...

Its hard to say for me concerning TA. It looks almost schizophrenic when hes gonna get carries in games. To me its a wash.

Ok so maybe like a percentage like this?

Aa 50% Cross 35% and the rest to QB and RB2's

I just want us dto have depth come week 11 12 and postseason. Were in a good position to do that AND put real talent on the field every down.

So....let's say again we have 430 carries over 13 games like last year. You want:

AA = 16

Cross = 11

Newby/Taylor = 5 = or.....2.5 per player.

Split this up by quarter and AA gets the ball on average 4 times per quarter.

Maybe I am bat sh#t crazy, but 4 carries a quarter is not enough in my opinion for AA. Unless of course that is 8, 3, and 5 with 0 in the 4th because we are kicking the snot out of the opponent.

• Fire 1

LOL....I remember being in a thread once where someone was asserting that Imani is put in way too many situations where he is ran outside instead of inside.

So, there are fans out there that claim he is ran too much outside and now I read there are fans who claim he is ran too much inside.

I call BS on that.

No one in their right mind would claim that in my opinion. I remember 1 run outside last year and we were backed up at the goaline and Beck ran a zone read. It was the worst call ever.

Those calls tell us nothing about Imani's ability to run they ball. In those cases, no one gets many yards. I think the coaches are misusing him.

Not sure if you're calling it the worst call ever because of the actual play or the personnel. If it's because of the personnel, then that pretty well undermines the argument that Cross should get more carries. If he can't run the staple of our offense over the last four years, that's not going to work out very well. If you think it's because of the play itself, that would be a classic case of judging the result as opposed to the decision. Easy to second-guess what happened. But Carter totally whiffed on his block. If he at least gets in the way slightly it's a 6-7 yards gain and a decent block is probably 10+ yards. Pretty tough to run any play if the key block at the point of attack is totally missed.

Its hard to say for me concerning TA. It looks almost schizophrenic when hes gonna get carries in games. To me its a wash.

Ok so maybe like a percentage like this?

Aa 50% Cross 35% and the rest to QB and RB2's

I just want us dto have depth come week 11 12 and postseason. Were in a good position to do that AND put real talent on the field every down.

So....let's say again we have 430 carries over 13 games like last year. You want:

AA = 16

Cross = 11

Newby/Taylor = 5 = or.....2.5 per player.

Split this up by quarter and AA gets the ball on average 4 times per quarter.

Maybe I am bat sh#t crazy, but 4 carries a quarter is not enough in my opinion for AA. Unless of course that is 8, 3, and 5 with 0 in the 4th because we are kicking the snot out of the opponent.

Honestly this is the problem with dividing time. I would love to see A double in serious heisman contention. But to do that he has to get a boatload of carries. If we do that we will lack experience next year or god forbid, he gets hurt and we force an unprepared backup into the role. This is the mental dillema Bo has to deal with daily. Prepare the youth or put it on the star. Gotta win games in the end though so Im ok with A double getting most the carries.

Really though our defense should be more well adjusted to get our offe se more reps anyway by shutting down the opposition.

I'm done here, I think we all know how hard it is for the coaches to manage the carries and we can't get everyone their "needed" amount. Here's to hoping that Ameer, Cross, Newby and Taylor push each other and make each other the best back they can! GBR!

Damn you and your common sense approach! This thread is for unproven opinions only, backed up by stats to prove your point while ignoring ones that don't.

:sarcasm

Gotta say that makes sense to me. Just like trying to get the ball to Bell, Quince, Turner, West, Carter etc...... Good luck. Great problem that we haveso many good guys to get the ball to its impossible to get equal touches.

Give Cross more Carries. Give the tight ends more catches. Get the fullbacks the ball. That covers it right?????

Still will be curious as to where these extra plays during a game will come from, or who people think should get less to get these positions addressed

No. No spiel needed. You saw the topic of the thread. It's not complicated. Cross more, Abdullah less. Maybe develop Newby a bit while we are at it. Not a complicated deal really. No, not because someone doesn't like Abduallah or thinks he's a bad guy. Don't try to turn this into some sort of "hate" thing like a lot of you clowns try to do with everything Martinez related. Nope, I'd say everyone loved Abduallah. The kids a beast and sounds like he does everything the right way. No, this could benefit Abdullah's future and the future of Nebraska football. Running back by committee, it's the new "in" thing. Let's make it an "N" thing.

Wasn't implying Abdullah less. Just use cross more. Also use him smarter.

Why run 4-5 plays up the gut then 2-3 pass plays?

I have really enjoyed reading this discussion. Lots of great points and some awesome statistics here. Glad to be a part of Husker Nation!

I know someone in the past disagreed with me on this, but Cross has more of a downhill running style and it's been fairly prevalent in his college career. That's not to say he doesn't have lateral quickness or agility, but, he's definitely a different type of runner than Abdullah. I think that's one reason he's been limited. It's conjecture, but, perhaps the coaches believe Cross isn't the player they want getting significant carries, or else he'd be in there getting them.

I also know a lot of fans want to see Abdullah get less carries, spread the ball around and keep him healthy. It's great to say that on paper, but application is difficult and depends on several factors. Plus, with how well Abdullah is playing, it's difficult to justify giving him the ball anything less than 20-25 times a game, whether that's running or catching. That's a third of your plays right there. Then, if you consider we throw the ball about 20 or more times a game (especially when we had Martinez), that's leaving anywhere from 5-15 plays (on average) to give carries to other backs, run reverses, designed QB runs, option, etc., etc., etc.

I'm sure many of us realize this but it's all important to keep in perspective.

It was me that disagreed last year...I argued that the coaches were the reason for this. It's obvious that in high school, he was an outside runner and they just haven't given him the chance to do that in college yet.

Anyways, he definitely is a diff. type of runner...I think they need to just let the guys run and see what they're best at. Limiting a running back to one type of run is stupid and predictable and let's opposing defenses know exactly what you're doing. Hopefully, the coaches pull their heads out this next year.

You keep saying this. Do you not think the coaches attend practice?

• Fire 1

It was me that disagreed last year...I argued that the coaches were the reason for this. It's obvious that in high school, he was an outside runner and they just haven't given him the chance to do that in college yet.

Anyways, he definitely is a diff. type of runner...I think they need to just let the guys run and see what they're best at. Limiting a running back to one type of run is stupid and predictable and let's opposing defenses know exactly what you're doing. Hopefully, the coaches pull their heads out this next year.

Well, I have to piggy back off what Mavric mentioned - at this point, I would like to think the coaches have a pretty good idea what the backs they have are good at. High school tape is fine and dandy, but a lot of high school athletes are just athletically better than their competition.

We hear this all the time with linemen, that they just physically overpowered people in high school and now need to improve their techniques. It applies to every other position, including running backs. Sometimes, a back is just good and the competition he is up against isn't. While Cross may have been able to hit the edge and show explosiveness outside in high school, he's now going up against the some of the best athletes in the country. That changes the dynamic. I'm not saying this is 100% applicable to Cross, but it's something to consider.

And it doesn't even matter if someone played in the best high school division in Texas, hypothetically speaking. A lot of those people they go up against will never make it in division one football.

The most logical point of view to maintain at this point in time is that the coaches have figured out what Cross does/doesn't do well and are using him accordingly, in conjunction with making sure the rest of the offense works effectively.

• Fire 1
Will need more carries next year. I think he 's capable and underused. I just don't think Ameer should take such a pounding all season long. Keep him fresh so that he can make big plays through later B1G games.

Discuss.....

Give Cross more Carries. Give the tight ends more catches. Get the fullbacks the ball. That covers it right?????

Still will be curious as to where these extra plays during a game will come from, or who people think should get less to get these positions addressed

No. No spiel needed. You saw the topic of the thread. It's not complicated. Cross more, Abdullah less. Maybe develop Newby a bit while we are at it. Not a complicated deal really. No, not because someone doesn't like Abduallah or thinks he's a bad guy. Don't try to turn this into some sort of "hate" thing like a lot of you clowns try to do with everything Martinez related. Nope, I'd say everyone loved Abduallah. The kids a beast and sounds like he does everything the right way. No, this could benefit Abdullah's future and the future of Nebraska football. Running back by committee, it's the new "in" thing. Let's make it an "N" thing.

I have really enjoyed reading this discussion. Lots of great points and some awesome statistics here. Glad to be a part of Husker Nation!

(Wasn't implying Abdullah less. Just use cross more. )

(I just don't think Ameer should take such a pounding all season long. Keep him fresh so that he can make big plays through later B1G games. )

Both of these sentences came from your own original post and then the post you just made. You're right, you didn't imply using Abdullah less, you flat out said it!

With that, its official, I'm in the f'ing twilight zone.

• Fire 1

Move Cross to FB. He'd still be the most experienced guy there. Run more power with him in as a 2 back set. Get him the ball in the flats. He would be a load to bring down in the open field. Let him get a few steps before he gets the ball. Have Brown get him to run more physical. He does not have the speed persay of a Todd Gurley or the bruiser from Bama, but if he would lower his shoulders, he would be devastating between the tackles and could easily help wearing down the DL as well as the LB's.

On another note, maybe his playing time or lack of is not a knock on his ability in the run game, but in pass pro......

We already have some solid guys at FB that we don't use why add another. Andy Janovich is a stud & he played in all 12 games last year with ZERO carries. Also CJ Zimmerer played in all 12 games & had ZERO carries. Not a lot of carries going their way these days.

I know someone in the past disagreed with me on this, but Cross has more of a downhill running style and it's been fairly prevalent in his college career. That's not to say he doesn't have lateral quickness or agility, but, he's definitely a different type of runner than Abdullah. I think that's one reason he's been limited. It's conjecture, but, perhaps the coaches believe Cross isn't the player they want getting significant carries, or else he'd be in there getting them.

I also know a lot of fans want to see Abdullah get less carries, spread the ball around and keep him healthy. It's great to say that on paper, but application is difficult and depends on several factors. Plus, with how well Abdullah is playing, it's difficult to justify giving him the ball anything less than 20-25 times a game, whether that's running or catching. That's a third of your plays right there. Then, if you consider we throw the ball about 20 or more times a game (especially when we had Martinez), that's leaving anywhere from 5-15 plays (on average) to give carries to other backs, run reverses, designed QB runs, option, etc., etc., etc.

I'm sure many of us realize this but it's all important to keep in perspective.

I find it interesting that you defend these coaches almost to a fault but when it comes to Cross you think they alone are to blame for his on field performance.

• Fire 1
Will need more carries next year. I think he 's capable and underused. I just don't think Ameer should take such a pounding all season long. Keep him fresh so that he can make big plays through later B1G games.

Discuss.....

(Wasn't implying Abdullah less. Just use cross more. )

(I just don't think Ameer should take such a pounding all season long. Keep him fresh so that he can make big plays through later B1G games. )

Both of these sentences came from your own original post and then the post you just made. You're right, you didn't imply using Abdullah less, you flat out said it!

With that, its official, I'm in the f'ing twilight zone.

Abdullah needs to get about 20-25 carries a game. If there are leftovers spread them out to the players that have earned them in practice. I would rather take away a few passes & make them carries for the RB & FB. I hate how the coaches think we need to be balanced pass to run. If a team can stop the run. Then run the ball till they adjust then attack with the pass.

(Abdullah needs to get about 20-25 carries a game.)

Honestly this is about the only way to make everyone happy. A Double needs the carries to make a serious statement amongst the nations top RB's. Cross and company need the carries, Cross for backup purposes while Newby and Taylor for future reasons. I honestly think we have a shot to give out more carries this season so it may work itself out. With a stingier defense we can get our offense back on the field sooner rather then spending half the quarter allowing the opposition to drive down the field every series.

Having so much talent among the skill positions is a good problem to have. We would all like to see everyone get more touches. That would be awesome if Abdullah ran for 2000 yards, Cross got 1000 as a back-up, Newby and Taylor still got about 5 carries each per game, and Bell, Turner, Westerkamp, and Moore each had about 70 receptions each. We also need to get the tight ends more catches and give the fullbacks some carries for nostalgia's sake. This doesn't even take into account the carries taken by the QB.

How can this happen? Defense gets a 3 and out each and every time, and the opposing offense never has the ball for more than a minute. Then the offense can run 100+ plays per game, and Beck can finally maximize the potential of all the talent on this team.

So basically, if this doesn't happen, Beck and Papuchis, and Bo, are all failures.