***2016 Recruiting***

Thought I just heard Benning say he thinks Fant will wind up in the PAC12, and then mentioned 3 kids in 2 years headed to the PAC12, I'm assuming he's talking about Bubak, but Phillips the third? The math doesn't add up if he's referring to Phillips, figured he was mispeaking, but is there another local kid I can't think?

Sam has a new Big Fat Recruiting Update today. A lot in there, but here are updates on some 2016 regional prospect:

Fant: He visited Iowa again last weekend — the same weekend when the Hawkeyes had a strong run on commits. Iowa is one team that's been clear on where it wants Fant — tight end — and the Hawkeyes have the newest facilities on display. Iowa also has one of the nation's better university hospitals about ten feet from the football stadium. That'll matter to Fant, who wants to be a pre-med major. Fant has an offer from UCLA, but no offer yet from Oregon. I still feel like it's Nebraska and Iowa. Or perhaps Iowa and Nebraska. The Hawkeyes have done well here, but it's hard to project the stability of the coaching staff.

Aurora (Colorado) Regis tight end Jack Stoll: He's down to Nebraska and Texas and will announce his pick as soon as he decides. At Texas, Stoll's primary recruiter is Jeff Traylor, UT's first-year tight end coach who just joined the Longhorns after coaching at an East Texas high school. Stoll is an upside player. And he can block.

Sioux Falls (South Dakota) Washington offensive tackle Matt Farniok: Nebraska's top target at OT. He has an older brother at Oklahoma and had one at Iowa State. His younger brother camped at Nebraska, but Matt Farniok chose to attend the Rivals Five-Star Challenge. Michigan just offered last week and, yes, Michigan will be factor. Nebraska is, too, as is Stanford.

Colorado Springs (Colorado) Pine Creek linebacker JoJo Domann: Nebraska has recuited Domann very well, but he wants a Stanford offer, so he went to the Cardinal's camp last week. He also took a visit to California-Berkeley. Unless Stanford or Michigan offers, I'll take Domann to land at Nebraska. Given he prefers linebacker, it's hard to see Stanford offering a 6-foot-1, 210-pounder at that position. The Cardinal have bigger guys at 'backer. Michigan is likely transitioning to a 3-4, as well.

Olathe (Kansas) North safety Isaiah Simmons: Nebraska may pursue the 6-foot-3, 207-pound Simmons at linebacker, Scout reported in the spring, and NU remains near the top of Simmons' list. But Simmons was arguably the top overall prospect at Arkansas' camp over the weekend, he's a priority of new KU coach David Beaty, and Iowa is also in the mix.

Wichita (Kansas) East defensive end Xavier Kelly: NU's top target at defensive end is a two-sport star and he's made a world tour, of sorts, visiting a ton of major programs over the summer. He also made stops at Rivals' big camp and the Sound Mind and Body Camp near Detroit. Nebraska hasn't been one of his stops yet this summer, although Kelly was on campus for the Huskers' spring game. Kelly, who decommitted from Kansas State in March one month after committing there, has the frame and athleticism of Randy Gregory. Not a stretch. Not sure he has Gregory's accelerating speed or natural intelligence for the game, though.

Lee's Summit (Missouri) West offensive guard Boe Wilson: Visited Nebraska for the first Big Red Weekend. Indiana, Louisville, Kansas are in the mix. Wilson nearly committed to NU after his visit, but held off. Why? He could be waiting for a Missouri offer.

Eden Prairie (Minnesota) athlete JD Spielman: He visited during NU's spring practice and he has a Nebraska offer. He's more of a slot receiver than a running back at the college level, and other than a visit to Michigan early in the month, he hasn't had many recruiting updates. Spielman can afford to take his time — his dad is Minnesota Vikings general manager Rick Spielman — and probably will. He's a good player in the De'Mornay Pierson-El mold.

Lawrence (Kansas) defensive end Amani Bledsoe: Not much to report here. Bledsoe told Scout in early June that he wasn't taking visits in the summer, that he'd pick a few official visits in the fall, and go from there. Nebraska should be one of the official visits. Bledsoe still seems like a KU guy.

Kansas City (Missouri) Rockhurst athlete A.J. Taylor: He'll be announcing his decision Aug. 1. It's hard to say where Nebraska fits in, but the presumption that Taylor will automatically land at Missouri may be wrong; Rockhurst kids often think for themselves and land at a variety of schools. Iowa, Wisconsin and others are in the mix. At Wisconsin, Gilmore is handling the recruiting.

Always felt like CB is a spot to worry about. Davie is the only proven CB on the team and he's gone after this year. Cockrell, J rose, and charles (if he doesn't get a medical RS) leave too. That leaves chris jones as the only CB with starting experience. Haven't seen anything from mosley, lee, anderson, or boaz yet. My guess is the staff gets 3 CB's: 1 juco and 2 high school prospects

Kalu?

Always felt like CB is a spot to worry about. Davie is the only proven CB on the team and he's gone after this year. Cockrell, J rose, and charles (if he doesn't get a medical RS) leave too. That leaves chris jones as the only CB with starting experience. Haven't seen anything from mosley, lee, anderson, or boaz yet. My guess is the staff gets 3 CB's: 1 juco and 2 high school prospects

Kalu?

Isn't he a safety?

Kalu?

Isn't he a safety?

I think I like him at safety but he was working at corner this spring.

OT and DT are starting to concern me. CB would be too, if we didn't have so much young talent on board.

Still early, but WR has me a bit concerned. You'd think with two great QBs committed and a position coach that seems like a knowledgable and likeable guy we'd be getting more interest.
I almost included them, but I don't see WR as a big need this year after grabbing two studs last and positioning ourselves well for next year. That and I'm a huge fan of Coach Williams.

Both our past 2 commits (correct me if I'm wrong) attended BRW, and for being BRW attendees, have committed relatively quickly afterwards. Mentioning this because there was some doubt over whether or not BRW was a failure after no commits in the initial days following their conclusion (which coincided with the days the satellite camps tour was ongoing).