***2016 Recruiting***

Updated. 18 seniors currently on scholarship so we're set to have 63 return next year (before any further attrition). That's 22 open spots plus likely the three over-signees for 25 right now.

Domann could also play Safety and Augustus - who is listed at LB - is apparently being recruited for a Nickel spot but I think we're still looking for one more LB.

Priority:
OT - We're in really good shape at OG but are in dire need of tackles
DT - Bledsoe could end up at DT but other than that we don't seem to have a lot of interest right now.
DE - Hopefully Fant doesn't get crazy. Wonder what's going on with McDaniel.
WR - We've lost several this off-season so, while not an immediate need, it's moving up the list.

-----------------------------------------

My guess at the number for each position. Commits are capitalized in red - others are targets.

QB - 2 - TERRY WILSON, PATRICK O'BRIEN
RB - 1 - APHONSO THOMAS
WR - 2-3 - Roddrick Bryant, CJ Riley, Clyde Leflore-Chriss, Steven Smothers, Diondre Overton, Chase Lucas
TE - 2 - JACK STOLL, Ryan Becker
OT - 2-3 - Matt Farniok, Tremayne Anchrum, Alaric Jackson
OG/C - 2-3 - BRYAN BROKOP, JOHN RARIDON, BOE WILSON

DT - 2-3 - Amani Bledsoe
DE - 2-3 - BEN STILLE, Noah Fant, Mykelle McDaniel
LB - 3-5 - WILLIAM JOHNSON (JUCO), QUAYSHON ALEXANDER, GREG SIMMONS, JOJO DOMANN, Pernell Jefferson, Ja'Quain Blakely, Isaiah Simmons, Jaleel Laguins
CB - 2-3 - DICAPRIO BOOTLE, Lorenzo Burns

S - 2-3 - MARQUEL DISMUKE, Eric Burrell, Nehemiah Augustus(N)

Edited by Mavric
Updated
  • Fire 1

This staff has mentioned their desire to recruit Nebraska better (than the previous staff). With that said, I have been wondering why we offered Dicaprio Bootle and not Josh Manchigiah from Papio So. I want to make a point to say right now that I am not outright objecting to Bootle's recruitment, rather I am interesting in knowing why we are going to Florida for a prospect with athleticism that needs major development when we have one in our backyard.

Dicaprio Bootle --- 5'11", 175 lb, 4.38 sec/40 yd

Josh Manchigiah --- 6'0", 190 lb, 4.46 sec/40yd

Watching Hudl for Bootle vs Manchigiah, I would say both have great speed and good athleticism. However, neither are elite cover corners, at the moment. If I had to pick, Manchigiah actually looks to have better tackling form and cover skills (watch at 1:11 for textbook press coverage leading to a ball deflection).

This staff has mentioned their desire to recruit Nebraska better (than the previous staff). With that said, I have been wondering why we offered Dicaprio Bootle and not Josh Manchigiah from Papio So. I want to make a point to say right now that I am not outright objecting to Bootle's recruitment, rather I am interesting in knowing why we are going to Florida for a prospect with athleticism that needs major development when we have one in our backyard.

Watching Hudl for Bootle vs Manchigiah, I would say both have great speed and good athleticism. However, neither are elite cover corners, at the moment. If I had to pick, Manchigiah actually looks to have better tackling form and cover skills (watch at 1:11 for textbook press coverage leading to a ball deflection).

I'm sure they faced equal WR talent in the film you watched right?

• Fire 2

While I totally agree with Sam for our need for a quality DE, as we've really struggled to recruit the position over the last few seasons, Iowa's DE commits weren't exactly heavily recruited.

If Nebraska strikes out on both McDaniel and Bledsoe, we can scramble and find similar DEs that Iowa currently has committed just like we've done the last few years.

But isn't that what Sam is saying? I read it like we shouldn't make fun of Iowa's commits because if we miss the desired targets, we are just like them.

Did you watch their films? It has less to do with who they are playing and more to do with how they play as individuals. Still, to respond to your comment specifically, I would say the passing attack of Bellevue West would put any secondary on their heels, and Manchigiah held his own, highlights from last season's regular season game and play-off game (his defensive highlights start at 1:45).

Did you watch their films? It has less to do with who they are playing and more to do with how they play as individuals. Still, to respond to your comment specifically, I would say the passing attack of Bellevue West would put any secondary on their heels, and Manchigiah held his own, highlights from last season's regular season game and play-off game (his defensive highlights start at 1:45).

Maybe it came down to the fact it's way more fun to say Bootle than Manchigiah

I'm not an expert and I don't know anything, but I read that Bootle goes up against 4 and 5 star receiving talent in practice. That doesn't exist anywhere here.

While I totally agree with Sam for our need for a quality DE, as we've really struggled to recruit the position over the last few seasons, Iowa's DE commits weren't exactly heavily recruited.

If Nebraska strikes out on both McDaniel and Bledsoe, we can scramble and find similar DEs that Iowa currently has committed just like we've done the last few years.

But isn't that what Sam is saying? I read it like we shouldn't make fun of Iowa's commits because if we miss the desired targets, we are just like them.

I took it as Nebraska would like to be in their position with their DEs. I'm saying that their recruits are low caliber, and Nebraska should be able to easily recruit a few of players at that level with limited time at the end of the recruiting process.

I'm not an expert and I don't know anything, but I read that Bootle goes up against 4 and 5 star receiving talent in practice. That doesn't exist anywhere here.

If you read the same article I did, the phrase was "top notch". According to Rivals, his HS has a three-star 2016 WR and a four-star and a three-star 2017 WR. So that's pretty good but not quite like you said.

If you read the same article I did, the phrase was "top notch". According to Rivals, his HS has a three-star 2016 WR and a four-star and a three-star 2017 WR. So that's pretty good but not quite like you said.

Yes, however still adds to his point, Bootle practices against 3 better WRs everyday then the state of Nebraska has to offer any CB in this state 1-2 times per year.

Yes, however still adds to his point, Bootle practices against 3 better WRs everyday then the state of Nebraska has to offer any CB in this state 1-2 times per year.

Yep. I agree. He has more opportunity. Doesn't necessarily mean he's a better prospect.

I don't know either way on this one. I liked Manchigiah but he didn't turn out to be as fast as I though he was a year ago. He was low 11s in the 100 at state this year so even though the 40 times *might* be close, Bootle would seem to be significantly faster.

Yep. I agree. He has more opportunity. Doesn't necessarily mean he's a better prospect.

I don't know either way on this one. I liked Manchigiah but he didn't turn out to be as fast as I though he was a year ago. He was low 11s in the 100 at state this year so even though the 40 times *might* be close, Bootle would seem to be significantly faster.

Agreed, I'm interested to see the interest each receives from other programs in coming months.