Farniok (probably) week of Jan 25-29 .9055

Sails visit weekend of 29-30 and announce after that. .8653

Fitzpatrick Feb 1stI. .9069

Simmons NSD .8913

Watts NSD .8618

Ivey ???? .8622

Newman ???? .8896

Reese ??? .8669

Average player rating of those ten is .8867.

That's higher than our average rating right now and we have a decent rating already. I think it reasonably possible to get 5 out of ten. So, let's assume we get 5 players that are the average in the group. Add 5 players at .8867 to our already rating of .8702 and we have 20 pretty good players. Actually, it would be .8743 which is pretty dang good compared to what it was in 2005 when everything thought we had a fantastic recruiting class. It only had an average player rating of .8523. Mix a few last minute players in and we still have a pretty decent class and we probably will still have a better rating than the 2005 number 5 class in the nation.

Edited to add data.

I don't think it's apples to apples when comparing it from that long ago. Our current class would be #13 in the 2005 class

Butler. Jan 20th .8650

Jackson Jan 28th .9524

Simmons NSD .8913

Watts NSD .8618

Ivey ???? .8622

Newman ???? .8896

Reese ??? .8669

That's higher than our average rating right now and we have a decent rating already. I think it reasonably possible to get 5 out of ten. So, let's assume we get 5 players that are the average in the group. Add 5 players at .8867 to our already rating of .8702 and we have 20 pretty good players. Actually, it would be .8743 which is pretty dang good compared to what it was in 2005 when everything thought we had a fantastic recruiting class. It only had an average player rating of .8523. Mix a few last minute players in and we still have a pretty decent class and we probably will still have a better rating than the 2005 number 5 class in the nation.

Edited to add data.

I don't think it's apples to apples when comparing it from that long ago. Our current class would be #13 in the 2005 class

Disregard the #13. I was looking at last years total... Still don't think it's as simple as looking back at 2005 and comparing numbers

Butler. Jan 20th .8650

Jackson Jan 28th .9524

Simmons NSD .8913

Watts NSD .8618

Ivey ???? .8622

Newman ???? .8896

Reese ??? .8669

Edited to add data.

True.....the longer you get away from a data point, the less it is relative.

However, people still point to that 2005 class and shake their fists claiming there isn't any reason why we shouldn't be pulling in top 10 classes.

Well....my point when looking at that is that the 2005 class was greatly helped out by simply having 31 players. That alone will move a class up the rankings.

So, I started looking at average player ratings to see how good of players the "experts" think we are getting.

My findings make me believe (at least as it pertains to looking at the 2005 class and many since then) we are getting some pretty good players on average.

I hope the coaches have some good contingency plans in place because I have zero confidence in these near-signing day announcements

Not sure why.

We will not get all of them. But, we should get some of them. Just not sure who.

What if they only land 2 of those 10 or so guys you listed. That would leave quite a few spots open wouldn't it? And that's assuming no decommits.

Why do you have such a pessimistic view that we are only going to land 2 out of 10?

My impression from memory is that we typically dont do that great with these last second announcements. Plus a lot are far from sure things.

Jared Mayden decommitted from Oregon. He has Nebraska listed, could we at least TRY to just get this guy. Just show some sort of effort to go after some of these highly ranked recruits?

Are you saying this staff hasn't worked hard to go after highly rated recruits?

Previous staff didn't... this staff has done better. Not sure how much Boneyard has hung around the recruitment forum.

Jared Mayden decommitted from Oregon. He has Nebraska listed, could we at least TRY to just get this guy. Just show some sort of effort to go after some of these highly ranked recruits?

Previous staff didn't... this staff has done better. Not sure how much Boneyard has hung around the recruitment forum.

The facts would disagree with this

Was commenting more on the "perception". That was a bad rap the last staff got.

The previous staff really picked it up the last couple years of their tenure IMO. Initially they struggled.....

I think that this staff is at least a level or two above the previous staff based on year one. Of course it is hard to predict.....Banker and Hughes are a concern. They seem like decent coaches so far with respect to development, but poor to average recruiters. This is only based on year one with the recruiting class still incomplete. I'm watching recruiting closely. Hoping for a top 25 class!

Perception is an interesting thing.

If you look at my latest post in the Comparing Recruiting Classes, you can make a case that Pelini was recruiting better players than Callahan. And it would be a pretty strong argument.

I'm not sure I understand your "perception" comment. Either they did or didn't. Perception by the fans doesn't mean squat.....if that's what you mean.

This is either gonna be one of the worst/best end to a recruiting cycle we've seen in a long time.

Kind of what I was thinking. We are definitely in on some pretty good targets. If we snag a few, it will make a pretty good class. If we miss on most, we'll be scrambling pretty hard.

This is either gonna be one of the worst/best end to a recruiting cycle we've seen in a long time.

Kind of what I was thinking. We are definitely in on some pretty good targets. If we snag a few, it will make a pretty good class. If we miss on most, we'll be scrambling pretty hard.

Not sure I agree.

We are not going to miss out on all of our top targets remaining. It's just a matter of how many we get.

I don't see our average player rating getting below what we have had the last few years.

While I would love improvement from that, those classes weren't bad when compared to other years.

I will say that I expect a real roller coaster ride the next few weeks though on this board.