***2016 Recruiting***

Not the Huskers but ...

That is dirty. Absolutely awful.

Most teams do this nowadays.

We're no different.

Don't need your unintelligent, uninformed opinion in here.

You're going to have to explain how Nebraska having 17 seniors and being projected to take up to 23 recruits is any different.

All teams have walk-ons they can take scholarships from year-to-year, all teams have transfers, most big name schools have Juniors who declare early. Now that the B1G lets you oversign by 3, it's going to happen a lot more.

I find it hilarious that when Michigan or a team in the SEC does it, it's because it's "dirty" or something. When Nebraska does it, we're the good guys who just naturally have kids transfer.

I agree, but please do not use the SEC as they over recruit by double digits.

He doesn't want your facts, and it's not worth arguing with him. Don't worry about what he's saying. :)

They do the exact same thing. They have transfers and walk-ons to manage scholarships.

The primary difference is that teams like Alabama and LSU also send numerous underclassmen every year to the NFL, something we don't have to worry about. Thus, they can take even more recruits per class than we can. If Nebraska had an exodus of 5 underclassmen, we'd be able to take 25 or more this year. But Nebraska typically only sends a Junior to the NFL every few seasons, so our recruiting numbers aren't as high as big programs from the SEC.

But beyond that, continue to believe that we're the good guys and the other teams that always recruit better than us are the bad guys. Damn them and their rule breaking! Who cares if they send 5 or 6 underclassmen to the NFL, they're clearly cheating!! GAH!

If you want facts, here are facts. 16 seniors leaving. NO ONE IS LEAVING TO THE NFL DRAFT. They have four underclassman who were thought might declare early. All of them announced they will be staying. Michigan is still on plenty of top players, and many analysts think they could have 4-5 high profile players pick them either on NSD or in the next 3 weeks. That would put them at 27-28 commitments.

27-28 commitments, with 16 spots. Either the lowest rated of those 27-28 will be asked to move on two weeks from signing day, or there will be players asked to leave the team. I don't care what you say, Michigan's "status quo" is not losing over 10% (11/85) every year in transfers. That's not normal, and you arguing it is is asinine.

Hey, facts. But, like I said, not going to argue with you. Congrats, you won the internet message board argument. Let's celebrate.

I used the SEC as an example to explain the valid point SouthLincoln Husker made regarding the SEC, which doesn't apply to Michigan.

The B1G allows you to over-sign by 3, throw in transfers (you remember how Johnny Staton did after we told him he was no longer on the football team, but would honor the scholarship?) and it's conceivable that you can get to the mid 20s, or higher, once you factor in any non-contributing underclassmen you can take off scholarship who have already graduated, just like Nebraska does, plus injured players who can no longer play. I'd wager they have a few recruits who will enroll early, which allows you to have fun with numbers (legally) in order to abide by B1G and NCAA scholarship rules.

Give it up if you really think Michigan is behaving any differently than we are. Nebraska has room for 17, we're going to take 23 or possibly more. There isn't a difference.

wasnt he just left off the 105 man roster at the beginning of fall camp?

From what I understand, he was told he was no longer on the football team. But, the University would honor his scholarship if he wanted to stay at Nebraska.

Not the Huskers but ...

That is dirty. Absolutely awful.

Most teams do this nowadays.

We're no different.

Don't need your unintelligent, uninformed opinion in here.

You're going to have to explain how Nebraska having 17 seniors and being projected to take up to 23 recruits is any different.

All teams have walk-ons they can take scholarships from year-to-year, all teams have transfers, most big name schools have Juniors who declare early. Now that the B1G lets you oversign by 3, it's going to happen a lot more.

I find it hilarious that when Michigan or a team in the SEC does it, it's because it's "dirty" or something. When Nebraska does it, we're the good guys who just naturally have kids transfer.

I agree, but please do not use the SEC as they over recruit by double digits.

He doesn't want your facts, and it's not worth arguing with him. Don't worry about what he's saying. :)

They do the exact same thing. They have transfers and walk-ons to manage scholarships.

The primary difference is that teams like Alabama and LSU also send numerous underclassmen every year to the NFL, something we don't have to worry about. Thus, they can take even more recruits per class than we can. If Nebraska had an exodus of 5 underclassmen, we'd be able to take 25 or more this year. But Nebraska typically only sends a Junior to the NFL every few seasons, so our recruiting numbers aren't as high as big programs from the SEC.

But beyond that, continue to believe that we're the good guys and the other teams that always recruit better than us are the bad guys. Damn them and their rule breaking! Who cares if they send 5 or 6 underclassmen to the NFL, they're clearly cheating!! GAH!

If you want facts, here are facts. 16 seniors leaving. NO ONE IS LEAVING TO THE NFL DRAFT. They have four underclassman who were thought might declare early. All of them announced they will be staying. Michigan is still on plenty of top players, and many analysts think they could have 4-5 high profile players pick them either on NSD or in the next 3 weeks. That would put them at 27-28 commitments.

27-28 commitments, with 16 spots. Either the lowest rated of those 27-28 will be asked to move on two weeks from signing day, or there will be players asked to leave the team. I don't care what you say, Michigan's "status quo" is not losing over 10% (11/85) every year in transfers. That's not normal, and you arguing it is is asinine.

Hey, facts. But, like I said, not going to argue with you. Congrats, you won the internet message board argument. Let's celebrate.

I used the SEC as an example to explain the valid point SouthLincoln Husker made regarding the SEC, which doesn't apply to Michigan.

The B1G allows you to over-sign by 3, throw in transfers (you remember how Johnny Staton did after we told him he was no longer on the football team, but would honor the scholarship?) and it's conceivable that you can get to the mid 20s, or higher, once you factor in any non-contributing underclassmen you can take off scholarship who have already graduated, just like Nebraska does, plus injured players who can no longer play. I'd wager they have a few recruits who will enroll early, which allows you to have fun with numbers (legally) in order to abide by B1G and NCAA scholarship rules.

Give it up if you really think Michigan is behaving any differently than we are. Nebraska has room for 17, we're going to take 23 or possibly more. There isn't a difference.

wasnt he just left off the 105 man roster at the beginning of fall camp?

From what I understand, he was told he was no longer on the football team. But, the University would honor his scholarship if he wanted to stay at Nebraska.

He was told he would be the 4th string QB and that if he was adamant on playing, he might want to look elsewhere. His scholarship still counted as a football scholarship.

OK....going into the last few weeks of recruiting. Here is what I was able to gather from various recruit's threads on their planned announcement schedule.

Watts National Signing day

Jackson Jan 28th

Farniok (probably) week of Jan 25-29

Sails visit weekend of 29-30 and announce after that.

Buttler ????

Fitzpatrick Feb 1st

Reese ???

I. Simmons ????

Who am I missing that we are hot after and possibly have an idea of their time table?

Reese is enrolling at Florida soon.

But not Stewart Reese, the OT we're after.

That's the one I'm talking about.

Warrior, you're thinking David Reese.

OK....going into the last few weeks of recruiting. Here is what I was able to gather from various recruit's threads on their planned announcement schedule.

Jackson Jan 28th

Buttler ????

Fitzpatrick Feb 1st

Reese ???

I. Simmons ????

Who am I missing that we are hot after and possibly have an idea of their time table?

Reese is enrolling at Florida soon.

But not Stewart Reese, the OT we're after.

That's the one I'm talking about.

Warrior, you're thinking David Reese.
Yup, my bad guys. Didn't think we were in serious contention for Stewart.

Jackson Jan 28th

Buttler ????

Fitzpatrick Feb 1st

Reese ???

I. Simmons ????

Simmons - NSD

Jackson Jan 28th

Buttler ????

Fitzpatrick Feb 1st

Reese ???

I. Simmons ????

Tramal Ivy

Royce Newman

Jackson Jan 28th

Buttler ????

Fitzpatrick Feb 1st

Reese ???

I. Simmons ????

Tramal Ivy

Royce Newman

Do you know when they plan to announce?

Jackson Jan 28th

Buttler ????

Fitzpatrick Feb 1st

Reese ???

I. Simmons ????

Simmons - NSD

Thanks...edited above.

Jackson Jan 28th

Buttler ????

Fitzpatrick Feb 1st

Reese ???

I. Simmons ????

Tramal Ivy

Royce Newman

Do you know when they plan to announce?

Ivy - decomitted from Ok St., could be any time.

Newman - soft Missouri commit, probably will not know until NSD.

I say this every year. I don't understand a player waiting till signing day. The only logical reason I can see is if he is waiting for a dream school to possibly have an opening on that day. If that doesn't happen, then he commits to his second favorite school. I guess another option is that the coaching staff actually knows he is going to commit but he wants to personally announce it on NSD.

If not, he stands the chance of losing his spot at his favorite school simply because he wanted to wait.

I say this every year. I don't understand a player waiting till signing day. The only logical reason I can see is if he is waiting for a dream school to possibly have an opening on that day. If that doesn't happen, then he commits to his second favorite school. I guess another option is that the coaching staff actually knows he is going to commit but he wants to personally announce it on NSD.

If not, he stands the chance of losing his spot at his favorite school simply because he wanted to wait.

Its getting to be about the show! I am curious if our staff is too soft with holding spots and letting recruits look elsewhere.

With all the coaching changes and variables that go into selecting a school I think you would be a fool to not wait until signing day. If I am a kid that commits early to a school it might cause some schools to not show as much interest, or to start recruiting other kids harder. Then, the coach at the school I committed to decides to leave and go someplace else then I might have robbed myself of some opportunities. I see no issue in a kid waiting until the last minute to make a decision that will have a serious impact on their life. I think it is could be viewed as selfish for us fans to want all kids have their minds made up early so the fans dont have to worry about losing out on some players.

People also "silently" commit to a school and then do the public announcement at a later time

With all the coaching changes and variables that go into selecting a school I think you would be a fool to not wait until signing day. If I am a kid that commits early to a school it might cause some schools to not show as much interest, or to start recruiting other kids harder. Then, the coach at the school I committed to decides to leave and go someplace else then I might have robbed myself of some opportunities. I see no issue in a kid waiting until the last minute to make a decision that will have a serious impact on their life. I think it is could be viewed as selfish for us fans to want all kids have their minds made up early so the fans dont have to worry about losing out on some players.

That's understandable to wait till the last few weeks. By that time, you pretty much have an idea on the coaching situation...etc. I'm talking about the kids who wait right up to that exact date.

If you literally do not tell the coachiing staff of the school you have been offered by that you intend to come there and wait until NSD, you are being very foolish in my view. You literally risk not having a scholarship at all. If I am a coach and I would like a given player to join my team and accept my scholarship offer, I would want a decision yes or no long before the last day. Obviously, you are building a class of recruits presumably to fit your needs. If a player refuses to commit, then it is really 'ify' as to whether he even wants to play for you. I think if you get many signees who announce on NSD, you are probably not doing a good job reruiting. You want talent but you also MUST have guys who want to play for you as well. It must be equally and mutually beneficial. Also, I believe a player should have a darn good idea where he is going to go to college long before Februay of the year he enrolls. He should have researched the degrees, hours, campus, costs, admission, etc. If he cares at all about education, the student should be choosing a school as much as he is choosing a team to play for.