Defensive Line

Good post. I thought Bo implemented multiple stations when he got here. OL play has definitely gotten much better than last 2 seasons.

I remember reading at the beginning of the season - I think it was just two years ago, maybe three - that Garrison said they'd started using multiple stations at the start of fall practice. Really think that has helped.

Would explain our quality depth last season.

Yeah, numbers doesn't always mean depth. But the kind of depth you're referring to, 88, is probably more often called 'geez we're stacked, you guys.'

And there's a difference between being able to list a string of names, and having guys who are currently projected to contribute or who are regarded as having lots of potential. Sometimes those names are just guys who have spent years in the program but have struggled through injuries or lack of progression. It's definitely easier to be optimistic when we're talking about new entries. But numbers are better than not and promise is better than 'hope these players turn it around.'

Let's not forget that just having numbers is really important for practicing, which is especially important in the off-season. Having guys that can just get plugged in and will play at a high level is of course much better, but still need bodies at every position to run multiple stations at practice and not completely wear out the players.

The bolded is definitely true. We actually didn't run multiple stations - at least not very often - until two years ago,iirc. I know, I'm boring you with more stories of how the coaching staff changes things to try to get better but that is huge. Especially on the lines, I've said since then that I thought our offensive line play - which had generally been below average the previous 10 years - would get a lot better due in large part to getting more reps. I think we've seen that over the last couple years. And now, even after losing five seniors, we still appear to be at least eight deep on the line which is really nice.

Novice question, but can someone explain to me what is meant by running multiple stations? I think I've got an idea, but it would be awesome if someone could clarify.

Thanks.

Novice question, but can someone explain to me what is meant by running multiple stations? I think I've got an idea, but it would be awesome if someone could clarify.

Basically having two - or more - groups of offense vs. defense going at basically the same time. It could be having two groups going on different fields or having one group run a play then, while that group is huddling and calling the next play, another group runs a play. Basically trying to get more reps for more players and have more people practicing at the same time when you're doing full offense and defense together.

Basically having two - or more - groups of offense vs. defense going at basically the same time. It could be having two groups going on different fields or having one group run a play then, while that group is huddling and calling the next play, another group runs a play. Basically trying to get more reps for more players and have more people practicing at the same time when you're doing full offense and defense together.

This was a big talking point when Pelini came back and increased the size of the walk-ons. Cally cut the reps considerably by reducing roster numbers. I thought this was done, or at least the intention was to do it from the beginning. Then again, it probably takes a few years to get the numbers back in line to be able to. Especially when not long ago we were looking to walk-ons to anchor a very thin OL.

This was a big talking point when Pelini came back and increased the size of the walk-ons. Cally cut the reps considerably by reducing roster numbers. I thought this was done, or at least the intention was to do it from the beginning. Then again, it probably takes a few years to get the numbers back in line to be able to. Especially when not long ago we were looking to walk-ons to anchor a very thin OL.

Thanks for the clarification guys. I appreciate it.

Brian Christopherson@HuskerExtraBC 9m

Bo loves Maliek Collins' potential. He was careful in how he put it, but said the DT's attributes remind some of Glenn Dorsey. #Huskers

:koolaid2:

Bo Pelini had high praise for sophomore defensive tackle Maliek Collins. Pelini compared Collins to a young Glenn Dorsey. “He’s got all the tools,” Pelini said. “I had Glenn Dorsey from when he was a young pup, and he’s got that ability. He’s got great feet and great agility. That’s high praise, but he reminds me in some ways of what Dorsey did. I think he has that kind of upside if he continues on that progress.”

http://bit.ly/1kJJJZQ