PJ Smith talks about Wisconsin blowout

Bo sucks.

Discuss.

His coaching methods are such that a team that got through a run of constantly having to come back to win teams they were head and shoulders more talented then, got creamed in their out of conference schedule by a first year head coach, and blasted by Ohio st inexplicably thought they could half ass their way to a victory over a team they had to frantically come from behind to barely beat.

And he didn't notice that attitude taking form before the game.

Interesting. Note that PJ says over and over that it was not the coaches' fault. Benning talks about those same things happening to Osborne's team in 1992 (I assume he means the Iowa St. upset).

• Fire 2

There has not been a significant talent gap between us and many of our competitors the past few seasons. You want a talent gap.....Russell Wilson and Taylor Martinez....there's a talent gap. And yes, the talent gap is on Pelini, but that's been discussed ad nauseum.

To be fair, nobody really came close to Russell Wilson's talent in 2011. He's proven that he is a very special player.

• Fire 3

There has not been a significant talent gap between us and many of our competitors the past few seasons. You want a talent gap.....Russell Wilson and Taylor Martinez....there's a talent gap. And yes, the talent gap is on Pelini, but that's been discussed ad nauseum.

To be fair, nobody really came close to Russell Wilson's talent in 2011. He's proven that he is a very special player.

Exactly.

I think everyone is surprised at what a special played Wilson is.

Sorry if I'm not all pissed off that our QB didn't compare to a guy who was going to win the supper bowl a few years later.

• Fire 2
Bo sucks.

Discuss.

His coaching methods are such that a team that got through a run of constantly having to come back to win teams they were head and shoulders more talented then, got creamed in their out of conference schedule by a first year head coach, and blasted by Ohio st inexplicably thought they could half ass their way to a victory over a team they had to frantically come from behind to barely beat.

And he didn't notice that attitude taking form before the game.

Interesting. Note that PJ says over and over that it was not the coaches' fault. Benning talks about those same things happening to Osborne's team in 1992 (I assume he means the Iowa St. upset).

First, I agree with RedDenver, none of us have the insight that PJ or other players on the team have regarding that season, so if he says you can not put the team's mentality on the coaches, then you got to look at the players.

Second, while having to come from behind to win games can be nerve racking for an invested fan (assuming we all are just that), you got to give some credit to Bo and/or the players for that final 6 game run in the regular season of 2012. They lose to Ohio St (after already dropping a close game to UCLA), and Bo comes out in the post-game and lays down the challenge to the team, "Win out"! That was the only way they were going to make it to the conference championship that year, win out in the last 6 games, and that is what they did, in grand backs-to-the-wall, come-from-behind fashion. They proved that at the end of the day, they could get the job done. However, in my opinion, this led to their "we deserve this" attitude (not to mention Wisconsin finished 3rd in their division that year and many people were saying they don't deserve being in that championship) and the pre-game over-celebration and under-preparation/lack-of-focus.

My gawd quit acting like we came back and won the games. Hell the refs the other teams made every effort to give us the games. We were very lucky to win some of those games. Call it what it was, it had nothing to do with grit, overcoming in a few. We got breaks. Not saying the others didn't, but that season has never been awe inspiring for me. We should have lost three more games.

We saw more of it last year.

All this is in the past. It is time to stop worrying about what happened. Nothing is going to change.

We have a few months before we learn if things have changed.

And if I remember correctly I thought I heard at one time Russel had us on his list and virtually no one on this board wanted him here. He would be of no value.

We did not need him, got his stats in the ACC.

And if I remember correctly I thought I heard at one time Russel had us on his list and virtually no one on this board wanted him here. He would be of no value.

Russell Wilson pursued by Nebraska (I don't think that ever happened but there was a thread about it)

Russell Wilson visits Wisconsin

Wilson to Wiscy

I think the guy is good, but not great. He won't instantly make Wiscy better, nor is he better than Tolzien. He's going to have to learn new terminology and accustom himself to his teammates, scheme and tendencies at Wisconsin. I think he puts them in a better situation than they were after Tolzien graduated, but this isn't a major game-changing decision.

The thing is, his running ability is vastly overrated. Against ACC defenses weak against the run he only averaged 2.98 YPC. That's hardly impressive.

Take a true dual-threat guy like Josh Freeman from KSU for a comparator. Freeman ran for 3.8 YPC his senior year and threw for 3,000 yards and 20 TDs. All comparable or better stats than Wilson. But Freeman had been in a system he understood for three years, while Wilson is moving to a new offense (despite the feel-good quote in the paper). It's just not going to be that easy for him, I think.

i cant say that im even convinced that the guy will be the starter.

Lots of gems in those threads but they're excusable, hindsight being what it is. People that followed him closely could tell he would do well because he was taking over a team that had just won the conference and still had all of the pieces in places except QB - that and he was a smart two-sport athelete, an incredible one at that but you can't expect the casual or even more committed fan to know that stuff.

• Fire 4

My gawd quit acting like we came back and won the games. Hell the refs the other teams made every effort to give us the games. We were very lucky to win some of those games. Call it what it was, it had nothing to do with grit, overcoming in a few. We got breaks. Not saying the others didn't, but that season has never been awe inspiring for me. We should have lost three more games.

We saw more of it last year.

All this is in the past. It is time to stop worrying about what happened. Nothing is going to change.

We have a few months before we learn if things have changed.

For me, I give credit to the team for all of their wins and loses. Games can come down to a few big plays (which penalties or calls by the ref can fact in), if you keep it close. That 2012 team came from behind to win those games, or at the least hung in the game long enough to make the most of those opportunities.

I do agree with you that we should look at this 2014 team in a different light compared to the 2012 team, as there is so much player turnover, but I think for the purpose of this thread, it is good to look back and get some insight into that 2012 team.

What worries me most is that "we deserve/earn this" mentality (the lose to Minnesota last year is good example of that). Just because these players play for Nebraska, does not mean they own any glory from what the past Nebraska teams have earned. They get the benefits of playing at a historically blue blood program, but they have to earn their own accolades (something that only comes at the end of the season) and have that sense of determination and will to win for every game during the season.

All i can say is this. Read up on the lever-spill-lever and the over/under schemes and techniques. Then watch that game. And I guarantee you you will have no problem placing 90% of the blame for that catastrophy on Stafford and Whaley.

EZ elludued to this many times after the game and pointed out the exact same things you are saying. Bo has stated before that everyone needs to play within the system and when one person is out of it, it goes downhill.

How is it decided that several of Pelini's senior veterans playing outside of Pelini's system is no fault of Pelini's?

How is it not his responsibility to, ya' know, coach the team?

He can't make the plays for them. If you listen to PJ, he said it was all on the players, not the coaches. I'd say that everyone should listen to the podcast.

On a side note, DB and another coach mentioned that coaches win or lose close games, but players win or lose blowouts

Thought that was interesting.

• Fire 1