The unofficial stranded on a deserted island music survey

Beatles

Bob Seger

U2

Rolling Stones

London Symphony Orchestra

"All Along The Watchtower", Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, etc.

"Spirit In The Sky", Norman Greenbaum, Kentucky Headhunters

"Blinded by the Light", Manfred Mann, Bruce Springstein

"Piece of my heart", Janis Joplin, Beverley Knight & about ten other artists

"Amazing Grace" (hijacked from JJ -- good idea!)

Blues

• Fire 2

Beatles

Bob Seger

U2

Rolling Stones

Blues

I could easily inhabit NUance island. Thumbs up.

Beatles

Bob Seger

U2

Rolling Stones

Blues

I could easily inhabit NUance island. Thumbs up.

Come on over! The bourbon flows freely, served by topless native women. :lol:

• Plus1 1

JJ: I've never heard of the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. If you want to get to heaven is a pretty decent song.

Now you've got me curious..... If you've never heard of Ozark Mountain Daredevils, how are you familiar with the song "If you want to get to heaven"? I'm not aware of anyone else covering it that would be well known.

As far as Clutch song recommendations, some of my favorites are;

Electric Worry

The Regulator

Cypress Grove

Tight Like That

It's a little harder sound than I usually go for but I like these guys.

Big News 1 & 2

Spacegrass

Burning Beard

Cypress Grove

and my favorite "What would a Wookie do"

Reading back through this thread now and listening to some of these songs on youtube.

walks: What is Kvelertak? Any recommendations? Your five songs were... interesting. Didn't listen to Hotel California - 1,000 times already is probably enough. The others aren't my cup of tea. Funny how we all have such disparate taste in music, though. It's interesting that the same ear that digs something like Opeth also gets into Hotel California. Another good example of why trying to stereotype someone based off the bits and pieces you see of them online is a really bad idea.

Kvelertak, if the mom and dad were punk and black metal and classic rock was the crazy uncle. The vocals are harsh for most (black metal style), but musically just kicks ass. They've got three guitar players, and put on one of the best live shows ever.

Opeth is probably the most technically proficient bands on the planet. They can write and play a 13 minute song, and it doesn't feel like a 13 minute song. They incorporate a lot of jazz, blues and classical influences. Blackwater park is their magnum opus, but you might enjoy the last album they did, as it's the least heavy, but still good...

This is just a demonstration of the greatness of this band (some flat out sick guitar work)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YOH9pdkWdA

• Fire 1

... Opeth is probably the most technically proficient bands on the planet. They can write and play a 13 minute song, and it doesn't feel like a 13 minute song. They incorporate a lot of jazz, blues and classical influences. Blackwater park is their magnum opus, but you might enjoy the last album they did, as it's the least heavy, but still good...

This is just a demonstration of the greatness of this band (some flat out sick guitar work)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YOH9pdkWdA

My Son and I are flying to Denver and roadtripping it through Nebraska in a couple of months..Trying to think of some new (to us) music for the trip...This song sounds great, but I'm a little afraid it might put me in a trance or something while driving...Are they all this ...uh...hypnotizing?

Reading back through this thread now and listening to some of these songs on youtube.

HUSKER 37: Cheater! :D Props for Tool, AiC, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd & The Beatles. I can dig all of those. Not sure I could name a Slipknot song - any recommendations? Also, kudos on Little Wing. Love that song; used to sing it to the wife when we were dating (back when I had a half decent singing voice) on long car rides. Also a tip of the cap for Say Hello to Heaven. I can listen to Chris Cornell any day.

Which version of Little Wing did to try to scare your wife with? I don't think I ever payed attention to the lyrics until I heard Sting's version...Then I re-discovered Hendrix and it became my favourite song... even before I heard SRV do it posthumously..that one made me tear up more than once..

Did you ever see Chris Cornell Live on MSN?

This one may have gotten too much airplay, But it's usually the one I think of when I'm wanting to hear lipsnot..er..slipknot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRJ7VyqP9MQ

Slipknot and AIC are the two main examples of fav. groups of mine that my 13 year old Son "Stole" from me. At first, I thought he was just trying to pretend to like the same stuff I did to get on my good side...But soon, he was downloading or collecting everything by these two he could get his hands on...And now tells me each members' biography, song meaning..names of the songs..Why I probably like each song..etc..

My Son and I are flying to Denver and roadtripping it through Nebraska in a couple of months..Trying to think of some new (to us) music for the trip...This song sounds great, but I'm a little afraid it might put me in a trance or something while driving...Are they all this ...uh...hypnotizing?

This is "the" Opeth song that got me hooked. There's some death growl vocals, but the music, is amazing, and some of the riffs, just f*cking heavy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9yRdllW6YA

and at 1:45, the hammer drops...

and then again starting at 3:30...

• Fire 1

The original questions would be impossible for me to answer because I get sick and tired of listening to the same music over and over. If I only have 5 groups to listen to, I will be committing suicide within a couple months.

There are some interesting groups and songs listed here. Might have to check out some of them.