The unofficial stranded on a deserted island music survey

This thread is great, but very very difficult to think of a good answer. I've seriously been thinking about it all week. You're in my head, JJ.

5 bands:

Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Anthrax, Incubus

5 songs:

Billie Jean (MJ of course, but Chris Cornell had a good soulful version)

I'm Not Okay (My Chemical Romance)

99 Luftbaloons (the English and German versions, plus Goldfinger did a rocking cover)

Just Like Heaven (the Cure, but again a good Goldfinger cover)

Livin' On a Prayer

Genre:

Reggae (never really listened to that much, but it sounds like a good idea being on an island)

This was really difficult!

• Fire 1

This is "the" Opeth song that got me hooked.

For me it was The Drapery Falls.

It was basically the only song that played in my car for a whole summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M93QRkSCWoU

Okay, Harvest got played a lot too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjZurVqdZq0

My favorite album of theirs is Still Life, probably followed by Damnation. Although, yes, Blackwater Park is a masterpiece. Hard to argue with any of their stuff, really.

• Fire 1

My Son and I are flying to Denver and roadtripping it through Nebraska in a couple of months..Trying to think of some new (to us) music for the trip...This song sounds great, but I'm a little afraid it might put me in a trance or something while driving...Are they all this ...uh...hypnotizing?

This is "the" Opeth song that got me hooked. There's some death growl vocals, but the music, is amazing, and some of the riffs, just f*cking heavy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9yRdllW6YA

and at 1:45, the hammer drops...

and then again starting at 3:30...

What's the name of it? Seems to be gone now

What's the name of it? Seems to be gone now

Blackwater Park

Musically, I'm liking these guys..I,m almost positive I heard this song on the radio a couple of weeks ago while dropping off my Son to his mom's...

We wer both getting in to it a little, but neither of us could stop laughing when the guy started gargling..

Reading back through this thread now and listening to some of these songs on youtube.

HUSKER 37: Cheater! :D Props for Tool, AiC, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd & The Beatles. I can dig all of those. Not sure I could name a Slipknot song - any recommendations? Also, kudos on Little Wing. Love that song; used to sing it to the wife when we were dating (back when I had a half decent singing voice) on long car rides. Also a tip of the cap for Say Hello to Heaven. I can listen to Chris Cornell any day.

Which version of Little Wing did to try to scare your wife with?

Sting's version. We're Police fans, and we like some of Sting's early solo work. Also in my singing repertoire: I Burn For You from the Brimstone & Treacle soundtrack, Moon Over Bourbon Street from Dream of the Blue Turtles, and a personal favorite that my audience doesn't seem to know the meaning of, U2's Running to Stand Still.

• 2 years later...

1- Five groups or musicians.

The Beatles

Arcade Fire

Interpol

The Decemberists

Smashing Pumpkins

2- Five other songs.

Coldplay - Viva La Vida

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

Jimi Hendrix - Castles in the Sand

Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye

Cher - Turn Back Time

3- One genre, except these 5 (Rock, Country, Alternative, Hip Hop/Rap, & Pop) cannot be chosen.

Please pick your 5 & 5 before adding the genre. Imagine that you might not get your genre...

Jazz

This is fun! I needed to take a break from all the debating. I have a feeling I'm out of my element - no hard rock here:

1- Five groups or musicians.

Counting Crows

Colin Hay (yes that guy from Men at Work)

The Eagles

Willie Nelson

Pearl Jam

Picked folks I like that have huge libraries and a mix of music and tempos. Island life can be tough, no telling what I'd be in the mood for. But essentially I like songs that tell stories and nothing that makes me clench my jaw when I'm listening to it. Chris Stapleton would be on here at #6 as well as Jack Johnson.

2- Five other songs. You get any and all versions of these songs.

Jane Says - Janes Addiction

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - I heard an acoustic version by George Harrison that was amazing and have never been able to find it

Got To Give It Up - Marvin Gay- this one always gets me happy and moving, can't explain it.

What I Got - Sublime

These Days - Jackson Brown

3- One genre,

Blues no doubt about it.

Considering I made my original list over 2 years ago, I figured it would've changed by now. It really hasn't changed hardly at all. I do think now, especially since Clutch put out their Psychic Warfare album, I would have to substitute Clutch for Rush (no for Zeppelin no for Rush.....) This ain't easy. Okay, I have a cheater's solution. I'll take half of Rush's catalog and half of Clutch's and call it good.

Still don't think I'll change my songs or genre. 5-5-1 is extremely limiting but that's what makes it interesting. If you didn't have to cut out stuff you liked, it would be easy.

***SNIP***

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - I heard an acoustic version by George Harrison that was amazing and have never been able to find it[/size]

***SNIP***

I wonder if this might be it. When the Love album was being created, an acoustic version of the song was the underlying basis for the song in the video - in fact, you can hear the acoustic version to begin the song, and it is under the added strings.