**Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Thread**

So uh, who do we want to win tomorrow? I'm thinking Germany since it's unlikely we beat them. Then Ghana couldn't get ahead of us outright if we lose to Portugal. Then Portugal and the USA would have 3 pts each. 'Course, then we'd need Ghana to beat Portugal or for both final games to be ties and hope we have the tiebreaker (goals scored, I'm assuming).

Instead of thinking about this more I'm just gonna hope we beat Portugal.

Yea, I wants us to be in a position where it won't matter if we beat Germany or not that we will be in regardless.

Yeah, I think we want Germany to win. If we lose to or draw Portugal, we'd be sitting at 3-4 points, or 1 W (+ 1 T), and we'd be wanting Ghana (presumably at 0) to beat Portugal and send us through. Would not want to be in a must win position against Germany...

But a lot can happen with ties and whatnot, so we'll see how the dust settles after Sunday. Would be especially interesting if Ghana manages to tie or beat Germany.

In summary, it's far better if Germany runs away with the group since the US, with one already, is a strong contender for 2nd place. If Germany gets thrown into the mix with everyone else tomorrow, it becomes a hairier proposition for us.

Via ESPN Stats & Information: All possible scenarios for USA in World Cup:

Win vs Portugal
· Advance to Round of 16
Draw vs Portugal
· Advance with win/draw vs Germany
· Advance with loss to Germany AND Ghana/Portugal draw.
· Advance with loss to Germany AND IF U.S. holds tiebreaker over Ghana/Portugal winner.
Lose vs Portugal
· Advance with win vs Germany
· Advance with draw vs Germany AND Portugal/Ghana draw AND IF U.S. holds tiebreaker over Portugal
· Advance with draw vs Germany AND Ghana win over Portugal AND IF U.S. holds tiebreaker with Ghana

• Fire 1

Via ESPN Stats & Information: All possible scenarios for USA in World Cup:

Win vs Portugal

· Advance to Round of 16

Draw vs Portugal

· Advance with win/draw vs Germany

· Advance with loss to Germany AND Ghana/Portugal draw.

· Advance with loss to Germany AND IF U.S. holds tiebreaker over Ghana/Portugal winner.

The 1st tiebreaker is goal differential and, assuming we tie, our GD will be 1 and Portugal's GD will be -4. I feel pretty good about that. I doubt Portugal will beat Ghana by more than 2 (and probably not that), so we'd have to lose to Germany by less than 3.

But let's just win :D

I'm working though, so that'll probably decrease our chances of winning. They need my support and I won't be able to give it.

This world cup has been pretty brutal. Dempsey's nose is broken, as we can all see, from taking a shin guard to the face.

nosed.gif

Germany's Thomas Müller went in for a header at the end of stoppage time vs Ghana and collided with a Ghana player's shoulder. Here's how he ended up:

tumblr_n7jtlhfQkR1qboytzo2_250.gif

Uruguay's Alvaro Pereira took a knee straight to his head and was knocked unconscious, sparking serious discussion about concussion protocol.

e6ilo2.gif

And on a lighter note, I watched another game where a defender stuck his head in and took a hard shot (ball) right to his head, knocking him over. Not sure it's really a lighter note, but at least he just seemed faze. Still, he was maybe three yards away and that ball was kicked pretty hard.

Haven't been this excited for a sporting event since Nebrasketball in the NCAA tourney.

Excited? You're kidding me right? Equal to ice curling.

I tortured for the first ten minutes via ESPN3 (US vs POR). Right off the bat, FIFA need to install instant replay. I watched Portugal mohawk guy pretend a fake injury on facial intense pain. In reality, never touched the guy. If caught via instant replay then red card. Flopping skills all the time.

68 days to REAL football kickoff time