**Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Thread**

I know nothing bout soccer but from what I am reading this was going to be the easiest game of the first three. USMNT is going to have to do something really special to get out of the group.

Thankfully, Portugal got piss-pounded by Germany. It is possible we tie Portugal, lose by three to Germany, and still advance.

Yeah, as easy as it gets in the 'Group of Death'. Ghana had knocked us out of the last two World Cups, and they're quite a tough team as we saw yesterday. Still going to be tough, especially if we're going to be without Altidore. We set up that corner well, but it looked like we were getting dominated up and down the field. Maybe just playing defensively and trying to protect the lead, but the amount of constant pressure we were facing was absurd.

For anyone who caught the Brazil-Mexico game, that was some really impressive footballing from Mexico. And a serious virtuoso performance from the Mexican goalkeeper. You don't need to have a lot of scores to make for a compelling game.

No, even if Donovan and Altidore played the same position he has to be replaced by someone already on the 23 man roster. I believe the rule is that you can replace an injured player prior to 24 hours before your first match, but not after.

Altidore was a big loss but hopefully either Wondo or Johannsson can fill that spot. Neither of which are the same type of player as Altidore so tactics are going to have to change somewhat and that's partly why Johannsson looked so bad yesterday. The other reason is that Michael Bradley played like sh#t. Just awful. He's widely considered the most talented player on the team but had he had a rough day.

Portugal is missing their best central defender because of jackassery and two other starters are out with injury. Things are lining up well for the US to move on to the next stage but they've still got work to do.

I know nothing bout soccer but from what I am reading this was going to be the easiest game of the first three. USMNT is going to have to do something really special to get out of the group.

Going in this was supposed to be the easiest, but Portugal may be a weaker team at this point. Nevertheless, just a tie against Portugal puts at about 60% chance of advancement. It won't be easy, but it'll be an easier feat than beating Ghana.

...... Portugal is missing their best central defender because of jackassery and two other starters are out with injury. Things are lining up well for the US to move on to the next stage but they've still got work to do.

Retaliation I suppose. German player is a master flopper. Typical soccer players.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/16/silly-pepe-headbutts-thomas-muller-and-receives-a-straight-red-card-4763956/

How about Spain, they are now down 2-0 to Chile. Chile has never beaten Spain. If Spain loses they have a tiny chance of advancing I believe.

Spain is eliminated with a loss, Holland and Chile will be at six points with one game left. If Spain loses to Australia some how they will almost certainly finish last place of the entire tournament with their horrible goal difference.