On 9/17/2017 at 10:18 AM, Stu said:

People who stop in doorways.  People who stop in the middle of the hallway or sidewalk where everyone else is walking, instead of stepping aside.  I'll often run into them on purpose and say "Oh, you stopped right in the middle!"  TAKE THE HINT!

We went to Vegas this weekend. I was about ready to start shoving people into traffic :lol:

On 9/17/2017 at 10:18 AM, Stu said:

Drivers who don't check their blind spots, don't use blinkers, just bad driving in general.  

I said something about how bad the drivers are in California when we were visiting family this summer. I was told "we don't need them (blinkers). It's just how we drive"  :o

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

For some reason people have a huge ego about driving, like going fast takes a lot of skill or something, and anyone who passes would show them up.

I live in a town of 9,000. On the two lane road when you leave town, the right lane has to merge pretty quickly after the last stoplight.... I never let anybody in.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a couple more pet peeves and both have to do with Mexican food restaurants.

1- If you're going to call something steak, use friggin steak. Just because it's beef doesn't make it steak. Stew meat or pot roast are NOT steak.  Here's your choices for "steak"; sirloin, top loin, top butt, rump, ribeye, Delmonico, strip, T-bone, porterhouse, loin, tenderloin, fillet, flat iron, skirt, flank, tri-tip, hanger steak, and possibly some chuck steaks. It needs to be tender and flavorful. If it's from the round, shank, brisket or neck, it's not steak, it's just beef.

2- Could ya'll get on the same page with Carne Asada? I've had so many completely different things called Carne Asada. Usually it's okay but I want to know what the hell I'm being served and I would like for there to be some semblance of consistency from one place to the other. Carne means flesh/meat/beef, this is usually the case but Asada means roast/broiled/grilled....this is where the problem begins. There's a pretty big difference between roasted and grilled and some places seem to think Asada means marinated. Marinating it is fine but IMO it should be a cut of meat worth eating and then prepared accordingly. Don't marinate some stew meat and then roast it and call it Carne Asada, call it what it is, a warmed up sh#tty cut of soaked beef.

:rantThere I feel better now.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

I've got a couple more pet peeves and both have to do with Mexican food restaurants.

1- If you're going to call something steak, use friggin steak. Just because it's beef doesn't make it steak. Stew meat or pot roast are NOT steak.  Here's your choices for "steak"; sirloin, top loin, top butt, rump, ribeye, Delmonico, strip, T-bone, porterhouse, loin, tenderloin, fillet, flat iron, skirt, flank, tri-tip, hanger steak, and possibly some chuck steaks. It needs to be tender and flavorful. If it's from the round, shank, brisket or neck, it's not steak, it's just beef.

2- Could ya'll get on the same page with Carne Asada? I've had so many completely different things called Carne Asada. Usually it's okay but I want to know what the hell I'm being served and I would like for there to be some semblance of consistency from one place to the other. Carne means flesh/meat/beef, this is usually the case but Asada means roast/broiled/grilled....this is where the problem begins. There's a pretty big difference between roasted and grilled and some places seem to think Asada means marinated. Marinating it is fine but IMO it should be a cut of meat worth eating and then prepared accordingly. Don't marinate some stew meat and then roast it and call it Carne Asada, call it what it is, a warmed up sh#tty cut of soaked beef.

:rantThere I feel better now.

Ummm, a steak is just a slice of a roast. Rump steaks are literally just a cut up rump roast, for example.

10 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Ummm, a steak is just a slice of a roast. Rump steaks are literally just a cut up rump roast, for example.

I understand that. I was trying to be as all inclusive as I could be in listing steak options. Part of the problem is in the preparation though. You roast a rump roast but if you slice off a slab of it and call it steak then you better grill the damn thing.  I've had some pretty damn good rump steak but I'd never consider roasting, boiling or stewing it and then calling it steak.

To be specific, there's this place in town that has pretty good Mexican food and breakfast burritos. On Fridays one of their BB choices is steak & potato. I really like them BUT they don't use steak, they use what I would call pot roast meat. Probably just some cheap meat scraped off the foreshank or something like that. I just want truth in advertising, call it beef & potato and I'm good. But, if they made the dang thing with actual steak, they would be nirvana, they wouldn't be able to keep up with demand.

Just now, El Diaco said:

I understand that. I was trying to be as all inclusive as I could be in listing steak options. Part of the problem is in the preparation though. You roast a rump roast but if you slice off a slab of it and call it steak then you better grill the damn thing.  I've had some pretty damn good rump steak but I'd never consider roasting, boiling or stewing it and then calling it steak.

To be specific, there's this place in town that has pretty good Mexican food and breakfast burritos. On Fridays one of their BB choices is steak & potato. I really like them BUT they don't use steak, they use what I would call pot roast meat. Probably just some cheap meat scraped off the foreshank or something like that. I just want truth in advertising, call it beef & potato and I'm good. But, if they made the dang thing with actual steak, they would be nirvana, they wouldn't be able to keep up with demand.

I was mostly just messing with you, but "pot roast" as NOT steak followed by "top butt, rump" and "chuck" steaks made me chuckle.

43 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I was mostly just messing with you, but "pot roast" as NOT steak followed by "top butt, rump" and "chuck" steaks made me chuckle.

Yeah, I figured you was messin' with me a bit. And I normally wouldn't classify those as "steak" but I was trying to give them as much leeway as possible. Those burritos are pretty good as is but would be awesome with even the modest upgrade to some top butt or a flat iron chuck steak. I take my meat pretty serious, thus the pet peeve and I thought some might find it kind of funny that I am so picky about it. It really does bug me that they call their pot roast meat, steak.