2014 Huskers - biggest question marks?

8-1 record with him. Sure he has had his faults, and solely his faults on some of his issues, you your negating all the issues he has had against him. A team who, in the snap of a finger, had to adjust or try to adjust to his timing, counts and voice. These are things the fans don't realize are vital. When a team practices with one guy, that being Martinez, they become one with how he runs things. From his calls at the line, to the timing of his throws. Adjusting to a new voice is not easy as well. Pulling Armstrong during times he was hot, and even when he was struggling didn't really help him improve like we would have wanted mentally. Not to mention, how many different lineman were we playing throughout the year? These guys aren't as efficient at the line as your starters, which doesn't fair well statistically for a QB, and even a RB.

If you could seriously say that this kid hasn't shown, most of the time, that he can be a quality QB, your just lying to yourself. Did he make a lot of mistakes? Yes. Are any of them fixable? Every single one can be.

Not to pile on because LOMS and AngryHusker covered most of my points but it seems like the main argument people have for supporting TA is his "record" last year. As LOMS pointed out, I think a good argument can be made that we had that good of a record in spite of TA instead of because of him.

Which games do you really think he played well and helped us win?

I'd say South Dakota St., Illinois, Michigan and Georgia would all be game you could say Armstrong was a huge part of our success. #4wins.......

Seriously though, why can't we just say that we have insufficient evidence to judge him positively or negatively. In all truth, those of us that like him are judging him based off his potential, his skillset, and little bits and pieces of what we saw him do well last year. The people that arent so sure about him are basing their opinion off the exact same things.....bits and pieces.

Fact is, he the starting QB for the 2014 Nebraska Cornhuskers......for now. I'm excited about that and not a thing anyone else says would change my stance on that. Is that okay?

I'd say South Dakota St., Illinois, Michigan and Georgia would all be game you could say Armstrong was a huge part of our success. #4wins.......

Seriously though, why can't we just say that we have insufficient evidence to judge him positively or negatively. In all truth, those of us that like him are judging him based off his potential, his skillset, and little bits and pieces of what we saw him to well last year. The people that arent so sure about him are basing their opinion off the exact same things.

Fact is, he the starting QB for the 2014 Nebraska Cornhuskers......for now. I'm excited about that and not a thing anyone else says would change my stance on that. Is that okay?

Totally okay, and I think he has good potential too.

I have no problem with the optimistic outlook going forward with Tommy, only the idea that he has already proven himself to be reliable. I don't see that at all. He's shown glimpses and he's given at least some reasons to think he can become a really good one, but if we're going to talk about what he has proven on the field, looking at all of it, I'm not sure how anyone can say that he has proven to be anything more than decent at best and an occasional liability at worst.

• Fire 1

Seriously though, why can't we just say that we have insufficient evidence to judge him positively or negatively. In all truth, those of us that like him are judging him based off his potential, his skillset, and little bits and pieces of what we saw him do well last year. The people that arent so sure about him are basing their opinion off the exact same things.....bits and pieces.

I can agree with this in general. I think he was below average last year but was put into a tough spot by having to play earlier than expected and possibly not having an offense that really highlighted his talents. Also, there was a possible nagging injury that slowed his development. There is plenty of room for improvement and he has to potential to be very good. But he's not there yet. Thus, the quarterback spot would be a question mark at this point.

Seriously though, why can't we just say that we have insufficient evidence to judge him positively or negatively. In all truth, those of us that like him are judging him based off his potential, his skillset, and little bits and pieces of what we saw him to well last year. The people that arent so sure about him are basing their opinion off the exact same things.

I have no problem with the optimistic outlook going forward with Tommy, only the idea that he has already proven himself to be reliable. I don't see that at all. He's shown glimpses and he's given at least some reasons to think he can become a really good one, but if we're going to talk about what he has proven on the field, looking at all of it, I'm not sure how anyone can say that he has proven to be anything more than decent at best and an occasional liability at worst.

Here's where I and a few others may disagree. It's quite wrong what youre saying there IMO. I say when he was at his best, he showed he was actually spectacular. I'll give you the occasional liability.....he showed that too. You should also acknowledge, like I said the other day when I looked back at some old games, that when Tommy and this offense were rolling, they moved better than we've seen in a long time. Very fun to watch. Now, I guess you might not think so and that's fine.....we just disagree, that's all. That final scoring play against Michigan, or that throw against Georgia, 99 yards from our own endzone...well I expect more things like that in the future, and I expect less of the mistakes you probably have come to mind when you think of Tommy. He won't be in the same tough situation he was put in last season. He's got experience and some time with his teammates and coaches under his belt.

Concerns

CB: We lose more at this position group than any other. So it’ll be Josh Mitchell and who?

DL: Does VV have the stamina to be our every down guy? How much depth do we have here?

DE: Who steps up opposite Gregory? Fricken Avery Moss. We could really use him now.

FG: Is Bondi going to earn that scholie? He’s got a big leg, but how accurate?

Some Questions, but Okay

OL: I’m vaguely concerned. But only because we lost so many starters. Still have lots of guys with experience. Hope they come together as a unit.

LB: A lot of young talent. I guess we'll be okay. What's the deal with Banderas? Is he gone?

RB: We’re good here. AA is proven. And two or three guys behind him could step up if need be.

WR: I think we’re okay here. Kenny Bell was underutilized last season. He’ll step up. Jamal Turner is back. And one of the young guys will replace Q at Z.

QB: Am I the only guy on this board not worried here? Tommy has a year under his belt. And I thought he looked fairly poised during the last several games. He's had a full offseason to work on things. Now, we just need to reduce the turnovers.

Here's where I and a few others may disagree. It's quite wrong what youre saying there IMO. I say when he was at his best, he showed he was actually spectacular. I'll give you the occasional liability.....he showed that too. You should also acknowledge, like I said the other day when I looked back at some old games, that when Tommy and this offense were rolling, they moved better than we've seen in a long time. Very fun to watch. Now, I guess you might not think so and that's fine.....we just disagree, that's all. That final scoring play against Michigan, or that throw against Georgia, 99 yards from our own endzone...well I expect more things like that in the future, and I expect less of the mistakes you probably have come to mind when you think of Tommy. He won't be in the same tough situation he was put in last season. He's got experience and some time with his teammates and coaches under his belt.

I guess I remember things differently. The offense rarely rolled after TMs injury, regardless of who was behind center, except when playing Illinois or Purdue. Tommy pretty much single handedly lost the MSU game. He almost cost us a safety against Georgia just prior to the 99 yard td, and frankly, if he doesn't learn how and when to put air under a pass and when to put the ball on a rope, he'll never have a better than 1 to 1 td/int ratio. And that final Td against Michigan, he so badly botched that option play that it ended up being a pass to Ameer.

At this point, unless he gets the turnover problem solved and makes big plays, he is worse than an occasional liability. He's barely serviceable. Does he have potential, yes, but he was a long way to go.

I looked up TA's numbers and compared them to TM's freshman year a couple of months ago. I don't remember the exact stats, but I do remember they were fairly comparable in terms of completion percentage and TD/INT ratio. IIRC, TM's TD/INT ratio was a bit better, but, he also played in more games.

At times, TA was very good, but he was also a liability more than on occasion. Far more, in my opinion. He made some pretty bad plays and didn't throw particularly well. That said, he was put in a very tough spot, as we all know. He was redshirt freshman asked to step in for a four year starter. And then, the best linemen on our team suffers a season ending injury, something I don't think people give anywhere near the attention it deserves. That was an All-American in Long that went down. Combine that with the other injuries along the o-line and I'm amazed we made it to nine wins.

All things considered, I think he played in the C+ to B- range. I agree with much of what 74Hunter said. He has potential like any player, but he's got a long ways to go after last season.

And, as I've said many times in the past, I think the most important thing we need from a QB right now is ball security. I'll sacrifice a some playmaking ability if it means we'll turn the ball over less at that position.

• Fire 1

I really thought at times the playcalling didnt do Tommy any favors either. It seemed like we went on these runs of pass-happiness and cutesy and wondered if Beck forgot that it was a freshman and not his 4th year guy out there. i dont grade the playcalling bad last year, but situationally at times is was pretty atrocious considering our personnel.

Just to be clear, saying I think Tommy will be great, doesn't mean I think Tommy already is great.

I've said I think he has the potential to be damn good. I've said he has the talent and skills to be one of the best we've seen at Nebraska in a long time IMO. He did more bad things than he did good last year. I simply attribute many of those mistakes due to mental error. Meaning he is not really experienced and familiar with reading and playing against Big Ten defenses, or the speed of a division 1 defense. He also had some miscommunications with his own teammates. Those are things practice can take care of. Film study, practice, and a good coach in his ear.

I fully expect him to get those mental things picked up and his decision making improved. The physical aspect of his game, his execution of the option, his pocket presence, his level of command and comfort, and his mechanics are all there IMO. His attitude and leadership are all there. I'm excited for his future and I'm glad he's on our side.

Still, I repeat......I think greatness is ahead of him, not behind him. He has hardly been given a fair shot at proving himself yet. This year is his shot.

Just to be clear, saying I think Tommy will be great, doesn't mean I think Tommy already is great.

I've said I think he has the potential to be damn good. I've said he has the talent and skills to be one of the best we've seen at Nebraska in a long time IMO. He did more bad things than he did good last year. I simply attribute many of those mistakes due to mental error. Meaning he is not really experienced and familiar with reading and playing against Big Ten defenses, or the speed of a division 1 defense. He also had some miscommunications with his own teammates. Those are things practice can take care of. Film study, practice, and a good coach in his ear.

I fully expect him to get those mental things picked up and his decision making improved. The physical aspect of his game, his execution of the option, his pocket presence, his level of command and comfort, and his mechanics are all there IMO. His attitude and leadership are all there. I'm excited for his future and I'm glad he's on our side.

Still, I repeat......I think greatness is ahead of him, not behind him. He has hardly been given a fair shot at proving himself yet. This year is his shot.

with the running game behind him, he doesn't need to force the ball and make dumb mistakes...

with the running game behind him, he doesn't need to force the ball and make dumb mistakes...

Absolutely, but the question is, will he step up when we do need him? Kind of like the Georgia and Michigan games. Abdullah can do it all, but almost every game will have moments when Armstrong needs to make something happen. I have faith that he will be that guy.

Absolutely, but the question is, will he step up when we do need him? Kind of like the Georgia and Michigan games. Abdullah can do it all, but almost every game will have moments when Armstrong needs to make something happen. I have faith that he will be that guy.

If we want to be serious contenders next season he'll need to take a big step up even from those two games:

Michigan - 11/19 (57.9%) - 139 yards - 1 TD - 0 INT

Georgia - 6/14 (42.9%) - 163 yards - 2 TD - 1 INT

Now I realize stats don't tell the entire story. Not bashing on him for those performances at all - just saying there's still tons of room for growth. We won those games by reverting almost to a 2009-esque offensive approach with slow, ball control offense centered around our runningback. He did well at what he was asked of, but the coaches will ask more from him next season. Or at least I hope so.