Who wins 2016 Presidency?

Point taken - Ok more moderate on foreign policy alone.

More hawkish (pre-Iraq lies, Afghanistan debacle) = more moderate to you?

I'm saying the dems of the 80s may have been more hawkish - more willing to stand for defense spending, etc. I normally think of 'hawkish' as going towards the conservative direction. But that may not be a fair label as HHH and LBJ were both very liberal for their time but were also considered hawks. But that was in the middle of the cold war also. So that may not be a very applicable measurement. I think after reading your post and a couple of the others, the Dems have not moved as far as I thought to the left - they were already there. Perhaps a better way of expressing my thoughts might be partisan - the Dems worked with Reagan (until Iran/contra) a lot better than what they did wt GWB (outside of the response to 9/11 and passing some educational and prescription drug legislation). So in retrospect, I would have to agree, that as a whole, the repubs have probably moved more than the dems towards the extremes. Is it justified (the movement to the right)? If it is just for rhetoric and it never translate into action that makes our gov't more efficient while serving the citizens, then no it would not be justified. Some issues transcend the liberal/conservative tag line also. I think the NSA issues and the patriot act are 2 examples. I see traditional liberals and traditional conservatives who are both opposed to the NSA/patriot act overreaches.

It goes back just a little farther into the Clinton years really. I mean we had impeachment proceedings over oral sex. And most of the gridlock you can tie right into Newt Gingrich led Contract With America, where the GOP effectively merged itself with Christian conservatives, injecting the fanaticism and fervor into politics that was not that heavily represented at the time. The GOP lost its statesmen, and they were replaced by ideologues. Bush V Gore only added fuel to the fire. I really don't think the Dems were ever that upset over Kerry.

It wasn't impeachment over oral sex. It was impeachment over perjury and obstruction of justice.

Yes, because somewhere a guy lying about getting a BJ ended up being 'obstruction of justice' and if oral sex was to count as 'sex' "Obstructing justice" where no crime had been committed. It was a witch hunt, plain and simple, they couldnt find anything to get him with over whitewater, so it was this. A total embarrassment of the entire nation.

Completely agree with you. I always felt that he should have never been questioned about it because while cheating on your wife is morally reprehensible, it's not illegal.

I didn't mean to write my response to your post to be argumentative. You just never know who actually knows why he was impeached. I have heard many people say that they thought that was why.

And I would counsel you to stop identifying with any of these parties, register Independent, truly research the candidates, and vote for the ones who actually want to fix things.

Have done this past 2 elections! This is the most informative post in this thread IMO! +1

I have been a registered Republican for almost 20 years and I have only voted for one GOP candidate in any election ever. #sleepercell.

That's interesting Carlfense. I sure would rather have a leader who will stick to their guns rather then Make a bunch of BS promises that they have no intention to keep...well I would say the majority of the promises anyway.

Wow did I misread that. I think I need a nap!! I guess I would have to say it all depends on what we are compromising. I know it is in general but You voted for a person because of their views I would think anyway and I personally would like for them to at least back that up, unless they are dead wrong than they need to know when to admit it.

I sure would rather have a leader who will stick to their guns rather then Make a bunch of BS promises that they have no intention to keep...well I would say the majority of the promises anyway.

. . . unless that leader is Obama?

I do agree with Big Red Buster though that if we are unable again to get a president who is willing to compromise and reach across the isle to help my kids future then our future is going to get really bad, probably worse then we have ever had.

• Fire 1

Ok Ok you got me there. I personally am one for a person to stick to their guns when it comes to most policies, because otherwise you are not getting the same as what you voted for. Willing to compromise or reach across the isle can still be viewed as sticking to their guns as well. Most candidates promise that they will reach across the isle for the betterment of the American people, but often don't. I am very conservative, but that doesn't mean that I don't know that in order for our country to work there has to be compromise.

Ok Ok you got me there. I personally am one for a person to stick to their guns when it comes to most policies, because otherwise you are not getting the same as what you voted for. Willing to compromise or reach across the isle can still be viewed as sticking to their guns as well. Most candidates promise that they will reach across the isle for the betterment of the American people, but often don't. I am very conservative, but that doesn't mean that I don't know that in order for our country to work there has to be compromise.

From reading this thread and others it appears to me that when it's your guy you want him to stand firm but when it's the opposition then the other guy should compromise.

From reading this thread and others it appears to me that when it's your guy you want him to stand firm but when it's the opposition then the other guy should compromise.

Right. Compromise means that you do what I want you to do.

This is why we've seen the rise of hostage taking strategies instead of responsible governance.

• Fire 1

Isn't that what everyone wants? :P

Honestly I've become so disillusioned with politics in general I don't think I care anymore. Maybe I'll end up paying attention again and vote, but probably not.

I remember at one point thinking Rubio would be an reasonably decent candidate, but his anti-science convictions gross me out.

Same here.

I was so against Obama and all this in '08, and then again just less than a couple years ago. But my thoughts have changed pretty drastically over the past year and half. I'm not saying Obama is the greatest ever, but he sure the hell hasnt been bad either. Bottom line. I look in the mirror and ask "Is your life better or worse than in 2008?". It's frankly about the same. I couldntve asked for more or less. Hence, I dont really give a damn anymore. Just put someone in there that isnt gonna complete burn the house down.

Agree. People don't realize that Obama more or less took a sinking ship and kept us afloat all the while having to deal with the GOP led house who criticize and block pretty much everything the President tries to pass.

I believe in the end Hilary will run and I will vote for her.