Nebraska in the eyes of another

I would put a good amount of our struggles on Tim Beck and his playcalling. I believe he recently said in his interview on Corn Nation that Taylor would often audible out of the play and into something that allowed him to showcase his QB abilities. This obviously didn't help matters, but there have been countless times where Beck and his playcalling has put our defense in bad spots and his substitutions cost us games.

Um, no.

CN: What percentage of plays are audibled to another play after the play is put in?

TB: Percentage wise? If we run 80 plays a game, maybe 10 to 12, so whatever that would be out of 80. Our quarterback has reign to be able to do those things. Some I call for at the line, some are automatic things like, "If they line up like this, I want you to do this" type deal. It's part of the game plan.

CN: They're "built in" kind of audibles.

TB: Sometimes there are, sometimes there aren't. Again, different tempos we have sometimes - we do different things to see how people line up first and so on. And then there's built in audibles. There's a lot that goes in to it.

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/6/29/5844500/nebraska-football-offensive-coordinator-tim-beck-interview

Unless you consider around 5 quarterback called audibles a game often since Beck calls some and others are predetermined.

I would put a good amount of our struggles on Tim Beck and his playcalling. I believe he recently said in his interview on Corn Nation that Taylor would often audible out of the play and into something that allowed him to showcase his QB abilities. This obviously didn't help matters, but there have been countless times where Beck and his playcalling has put our defense in bad spots and his substitutions cost us games.

Um, no.

CN: What percentage of plays are audibled to another play after the play is put in?

TB: Percentage wise? If we run 80 plays a game, maybe 10 to 12, so whatever that would be out of 80. Our quarterback has reign to be able to do those things. Some I call for at the line, some are automatic things like, "If they line up like this, I want you to do this" type deal. It's part of the game plan.

TB: Sometimes there are, sometimes there aren't. Again, different tempos we have sometimes - we do different things to see how people line up first and so on. And then there's built in audibles. There's a lot that goes in to it.

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/6/29/5844500/nebraska-football-offensive-coordinator-tim-beck-interview

Unless you consider around 5 quarterback called audibles a game often since Beck calls some and others are predetermined.

Yeah, it didn't sound right when I first typed it, hence the change.

Um, no.

Yeah, it didn't sound right when I first typed it, hence the change.

If I remember right, I thought Taylor called A LOT of audibles at the line. Unless he was just changing line protection nonstop.

I dont understand why optimism has to meet such harsh negativity. Im all for being realistic. But the lengths some posters go to make someone feel stupid for expressing excitement is baffling.

If you are part of the group that believes fans who think we can win it all every year are foolish, then you don't get to celebrate with the fools when we defy the odds and make it happen.

You can have your doubts, but when you belittle others for having high hopes, you become a dbag.

Is there a lot of harshness and belittling in this thread? Where?

The realists/pessimists should express their outlook without being jerks about it. But the optimists can also express their views without having some sort of weird persecution complex about it.

It's a discussion board, if you have an opinion, be prepared to support it. But at the end of it all, we are fans who want the same thing. I would hope that the optimists can share a celebratory beer with the pessimists when they are wrong, just as the pessimists can share a beer to drown your sorrows when the optimists are wrong.

I dont understand why optimism has to meet such harsh negativity. Im all for being realistic. But the lengths some posters go to make someone feel stupid for expressing excitement is baffling.

If you are part of the group that believes fans who think we can win it all every year are foolish, then you don't get to celebrate with the fools when we defy the odds and make it happen.

You can have your doubts, but when you belittle others for having high hopes, you become a dbag.

Is there a lot of harshness and belittling in this thread? Where?

The realists/pessimists should express their outlook without being jerks about it. But the optimists can also express their views without having some sort of weird persecution complex about it.

It's a discussion board, if you have an opinion, be prepared to support it. But at the end of it all, we are fans who want the same thing. I would hope that the optimists can share a celebratory beer with the pessimists when they are wrong, just as the pessimists can share a beer to drown your sorrows when the optimists are wrong.

What is that thing we all want?

WAIT I KNOW WHAT IT IS!!!

the-national-championship-trophy-picture

Honest question: Bo is safe or becomes a threshold for hot seat coach? (again)

Disregard Bo's off the field rants and embarrassing antics ......

4: Nebraska's losses every year under Bo Pelini.

How could it be any other number? Sure, Ameer Abdullah is the nation's leading returning rusher from a year ago at 130.0 yards per game, but that's boring compared to Bo Pelini's remarkable streak of six consecutive seasons with exactly four losses. To lose exactly four games in each of his six seasons at Nebraska seems borderline impossible in the volatile modern college football landscape. And Pelini has done it every way imaginable. He went 6-1 down the stretch and nearly beat national runner-up Texas in the Big 12 title game in 2009. He won the last four and six of seven in his first year in '08 as well. He lost the final two games of the year in '12 in ugly fashion and three out of the last four in '10. He methodically alternated wins and losses down the stretch in both '11 and '13. Most teams in the nation would take nine or 10 wins every season. But expectations in Lincoln have been of the national championship variety for decades, so the relationship between Pelini and his fan base will once again be one of the most fascinating to watch in the nation. Especially, if the Huskers finish third in the division with an 8-4 record this fall.

LINK: AthlonSports Article

NU fans ran out of patience or "wait until next season" :dunno

Trying to compare what used to be to now is somewhat foolish. The game and everything about it has changed so much. Take OU and Bob Stoops for example. They pretty much owned the Big 12 for so long, but now they are losing out to the Baylor's, KSU's, etc. even though they have the same commander and recruit very well. Mack Brown is what he is, but wow did he fall out of favor fast. With Mack, you knew what you were going to get with a really talented group and some mediocre coaching. In the past five years, this just wasn't enough and Mack found himself losing almost as much as he won. So much emphasis has gone into winning that NC coaches are ousted within two years of winning it all. College football is speeding towards being in parallel with the NFL. This era is something totally new and different from those in the past.

Is Bo stubborn? Yes, but so are most coaches. Do we try to do too much at times? Yes we do, but so do most coaches. TO came out firing in the bowl game at the end of the 1994 season with an extremely rusty QB who hadn't played in months. Frazier threw an INT, and it appeared the game was going to get away from us. TO tried to do too much at times as well. It was the stubbornness of going back with the grind it out offense that got us there that helped us prevail. I'm not the greatest Boliever out there, and I do get very frustrated at times. However, I do believe he has as good if not better shot at winning it all that all the rest of the B1G coaches except for Urban Meyer.

I think your assessment is good. I also think Bo has surrounded hinmself with assistants that had more aptitude than experience. Bo also was not an experienced head coach. They are still learning against some coaching staffs that are more seasoned. Experience is not always the best predictor- remember Callahan's Defensive Coordiantor- but smarts and experience will eventually make a great coach if he also has people skills. I hope last year was the hump year for our staff. Bo needs to have a break out season this year for the team, recruiting, and himself.

I completely expect a win in Camp Randall. Thats been our kryptonite since entering the Big Ten, playing Wisconsin. Even on our own field it was too damn close, anywhere else has been embarassing. Beating Wiscy at home would be a giant step over the barrier.

I completely expect a win in Camp Randall. Thats been our kryptonite since entering the Big Ten, playing Wisconsin. Even on our own field it was too damn close, anywhere else has been embarassing. Beating Wiscy at home would be a giant step over the barrier.

We will win because I will be there!
  • Fire 1

We will win because I will be there!

I wont be there, so basically were a 90% lock to win it.

Nebraska in the eyes of others...

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1408119.html

...incoming "national perception"

Now, Nebraska is trying to work its way through a world with stronger recruiting on a national scale, and with a brand name that doesn't mean now what it did ten years ago

...and "offensive identify" thread derail...

especially considering they don't rely on a specific offensive style that requires just a few key parts to work behind the cultivated linemen.

• Fire 1

Ill admit, last year I was convinced that 4 losses was impossible. But the injury bug bit an Bo lost his sh#t a couple tjmes and TaDaa, 4 losses. I just dont see any way we have that same problem again this year. And lets face it, even three less turnovers on the year would be a massive improvement and probaby an extra win.

Oh god, don't jinx it. My fear is that we won't have the exact same problems as last year, there will be some new ones. And some fans will be quick to excuse said problems as another anomaly...

2009: wellllll, the games were close and we had no offense. So 4 losses is okay.

2010: wellllll, the refs and Beebe were out to get us because of leaving the conference. So 4 losses is okay.

2011: wellllll, we are in a new conference and have to prepare for a bunch of unfamiliar opponents. So 4 losses is okay.

2012: wellllll, we got blown out a few times, but the defense was slow and we had all those comebacks. The defense will be younger and faster next year. So 4 losses is okay.

2013: wellllll, the defense was young so what do you expect, plus we had a lot of injuries. So 4 losses is okay.

2014: ?????

That's not to say these excuses were bunk, most of them were legitimate hurdles that were tough to overcome. But at some point, we gotta bust through these challenges, no matter what they are, and get over the hump. Even if the excuses are legitimate, is still leads to diminished enthusiasm.

ilt.gif

• Fire 1