How close was a coaching change?

I see its signifigance. But its being used as a cop out. We are entering year 4 of the Big Ten, this happened in year one and it was immaturely brought to light almost a season ago. Yeah last year was a rocky road but this is a new year.

Had we won out division and the conference, almost nobody would even remember the tape.

Have you ever said anything in a situation where your emotions were running high in a room to people you thought you trusted? Ultimately being glad there was no "hot mic" in your situation. Yea. Me too.

Get over it. Some people just want to have a reason to complain. If you were seriously bothered by his remarks given the situation, you may need to build some thicker skin. Or, find something meaningful to be bothered by.

Bo has said/done things in situations where his emotions are running high that he regrets....oh, about a dozen times over the course of his 6 years here. But we'll just keep brushing them off as meaningless...and talk about him "getting better at controlling it".

Yes, we will, because you should have more things to worry about in your life than what the Nebraska football coach is emotional about. Other coaches may not do it, but at Nebraska they might. Fans need to ball up and own some of the blame for being spineless bastards...excuse my language. LETS TALK FOOTBALL, not emotions.

I just can't believe that people care this much about these instances.

This

The only ones it bothered are the chickensh#t supposed fans that actually did leave early. I didnt, hence, I thought the comments were hilarious. People just cant handle brute honest truth anymore.

#directhit

How dare you tell it like it is! +1

Yes, we will, because you should have more things to worry about in your life than what the Nebraska football coach is emotional about. Other coaches may not do it, but at Nebraska they might. Fans need to ball up and own some of the blame for being spineless bastards...excuse my language. LETS TALK FOOTBALL, not emotions.

Ok,

70-31

63-38

41-21

Blown out on Senior Day

Loss at Minnesota to prove a point to Martinez

--I mean, it's not this gigantic stretch to create this hot seat.

Ok,

70-31

63-38

41-21

Blown out on Senior Day

Loss at Minnesota to prove a point to Martinez

--I mean, it's not this gigantic stretch to create this hot seat.

It is unless you're selling advertising space.

Had we won out division and the conference, almost nobody would even remember the tape.

that is a pretty facile statement. i mean, yeah, if bo did something more memorable and preferably good, we would not care about a leaked audio where bo wanted to leave the school and have the fans kiss his ass at his farewell. but he did not, so it is memorable. one of the more memorable points last season, but not the most negative.

that is a pretty facile statement. i mean, yeah, if bo did something more memorable and preferably good, we would not care about a leaked audio where bo wanted to leave the school and have the fans kiss his ass at his farewell. but he did not, so it is memorable. one of the more memorable points last season, but not the most negative.

Its hardly facile. Had last year been more meaningful alot of people opinion of the tape would be changed from "Fire Him" to "He was under alot of stress..."

Its hardly facile. Had last year been more meaningful alot of people opinion of the tape would be changed from "Fire Him" to "He was under alot of stress..."

If last year had been more meaningful he wouldn't have been doing the things he did. He wouldn't have said "they can fire me if they want to fire me" after an embarrassing loss - because he wouldn't have been in a fire-able position because the losses never happened. Heck, if he hadn't given up 38 unanswered to UCLA the tape may after never come out (since someone obviously had an agenda). So yeah, the opinion changes, but so do Bo's actions. We can't evaluate him on hypotheticals, only on the reality that played itself out.

• Fire 1

The only ones it bothered are the chickensh#t supposed fans that actually did leave early. I didnt, hence, I thought the comments were hilarious. People just cant handle brute honest truth anymore.

#directhit

How dare you tell it like it is! +1

Yup. There was a river of fans leaving at half time and early in the third. I know because I was late getting back from halftime and had to fight through the current on the viaduct to get back to the stadium. Bo was directly asked about the fans leaving and responded honestly in what was supposed to be an off the record conversation. Painting it as some attack on all NU fans has always been ridiculous.

As for the original point of this thread, I agree that he came damn close to getting fired, and that some key regents/boosters stepped in and stopped Eichorst from doing it. If Eichorst wasn't planning on firing Bo, he's even worse at his job than I already thought, as Bo (and the team) sure seemed to think he was gone.

I think Bo has a bit more breathing room now, but a poor season (less than 8 wins) would probably still finish his stay here. Not sure 8 wins will be safe either.

Luckily for those of us that like Bo, I think he'll clear that hurdle. I think we'll surprise a lot of people this year (10-11 wins) if we can avoid being stricken by too many more injuries. It's too bad that our hardest games are away, but I like our talent level for the most part.

If last year had been more meaningful he wouldn't have been doing the things he did. He wouldn't have said "they can fire me if they want to fire me" after an embarrassing loss - because he wouldn't have been in a fire-able position because the losses never happened. Heck, if he hadn't given up 38 unanswered to UCLA the tape may after never come out (since someone obviously had an agenda). So yeah, the opinion changes, but so do Bo's actions. We can't evaluate him on hypotheticals, only on the reality that played itself out.

Doesnt change the fact the audio was released to do harm to his reputation. You can say over and over how this loss caused this or this loss caused that. Fact of the matter is the person who leaked the audio is a coward. Losses happen, that doesnt give anyone the right to try and get someone fired over something that happened over a year after the fact in a private moment.

Bo is responsible for his actions yes. But he got setup and screwed by someone buying their time.

It might have been as simple as Westerkamp not making that catch and Bo's hat connecting. I guess we'll never know.

in a private moment.

I question how private a moment can really be when you're at a job function, in official capacity, talking shop with colleagues into a live microphone.

People act like somebody bugged his house or something.

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Obviously this wasnt an FBI conspiracy. But it was a cowardly act done out of spite when our coach was vulnerable. No matter how you want to look at it, the act wasnt justified.

Were the words Bo said hurtful towards a fanbase? Absolutely. But I dont think it was nearly as bad as it was made out to be. Picture this. We hold UCLA off and win a solid game. Likely tape isnt released until the next loss. But lets say it did. The backlash from the fans and media wouldnt have been nearly as angry because of a feel good win.

Granted we lost that game and then got kicked in the gonads after it with the tape surfacing. Again, Bo is responsible for his actions. Still the tape did nothing to help anybody except some asshat feel better for five minutes after a loss.