How close was a coaching change?

Nobody here thinks they have any impact on whether or not Bo is retained. At least I hope not.

What's foolish is debating on whether or not the administration wants to fire Bo at the end of the 2013 season less than 50 days before the 2014 season.

Bo's on the hot seat every year. So are 90% of the coaches out there.

Regardless if it did or not, he's still here. Speculating about the support or lack there of changes nothing at this point. We have a fresh season ahead of us. New QB, promising young Defense, a maintainable schedule, and not an overwhelming amount of expectations. I like our chances this year.

the bold, underlined, red font: bo's crowning achievement.

• Fire 3

Regardless if it did or not, he's still here. Speculating about the support or lack there of changes nothing at this point. We have a fresh season ahead of us. New QB, promising young Defense, a maintainable schedule, and not an overwhelming amount of expectations. I like our chances this year.

So you guys should be thrilled if he can't meet those low expectations, he will get fired and you guys can celebrate.

Edit: You guys are unreal. All I meant was we have a new QB for the first time in 4 years. We have a Defense that was learning on the fly last year. We return one of the most promising RB's in the country. The season is hard to predict even for the experts. On one hand we consistently win 9-10 and lose 4. On the other hand the schedule could be helpful or hurtful depending how the team develops over the season. Most years you can look at our team and schedule and get a good idea what to expect. There are alot of intangibles this year we haven't had for a long time.

But yes, take what I said as a Bo f'ing sucks and hasn't accomplished sh#t.

So you guys should be thrilled if he can't meet those low expectations, he will get fired and you guys can celebrate.

Edit: You guys are unreal. All I meant was we have a new QB for the first time in 4 years. We have a Defense that was learning on the fly last year. We return one of the most promising RB's in the country. The season is hard to predict even for the experts. On one hand we consistently win 9-10 and lose 4. On the other hand the schedule could be helpful or hurtful depending how the team develops over the season. Most years you can look at our team and schedule and get a good idea what to expect. There are alot of intangibles this year we haven't had for a long time.

tumblr_inline_mil7x92dOQ1qz4rgp.gif

whoops. i do not care if bo stays or goes. i just want the program to succeed and be national relevant. i know it is important to some that bo succeeds, but i care more about the program.

sounds like we should have pretty high expectations. our new qb started a majority of the games last year (and went 7-1). we have a young, seemingly talented, defense with a year of experience. a top rb (with great backups) and a top ten nfl prospect at de. also, our schedule is extremely manageable.

every year has a lot of intangibles, that's why we watch. but what will it take for us to be allowed high expectations if not this year?

yeah, that is exactly what everyone is saying and is not in the least bit melodramatic.

but back to the point; how lowered expectations could ever seem like a good thing is beyond me, though.

Taylor Martinez was our QB for 4 years. Last year Tommy Armstrong stepped up in an unexpected role. He did an admirable job given the circumstances but played poorly at times. Now he officially takes the reigns. This is an intangible.

how lowered expectations could ever seem like a good thing is beyond me, though. In the past this team has come up short when the expectations were high. Perhaps with the lowered spotlight heading into the year they can focus on shining.

I could care less who the coach is, I want him to succeed. I happen to like Bo as our coach, most don't want him here anymore. Fine. If he sucks this year, he's gone. That's the point. He didn't get fired during or after 2013. If he loses 4 or more games this year he is probably gone. If he is gone after this year we get to start the whole rebuilding process over, yippee......

Either way I couldn't give a damn less how close was to being fired. For whatever reason he is still here for this season and I think he and his staff are prepared to make the most of it. I'm ready for this season, I'm ready for a big year. And that year is going to happen under Bo. If that doesn't happen, who knows what next year holds in store for us.

If the team needs low expectations to succeed, it's a fait accompli that they will eventually fail, as success will lead to expectations. Especially within the season if they start fast.

And I'm not one who thinks it's going to take a massive rebuilding project to resurrect the program in an event where Bo is gone. Much like it shouldn't have needed one when he took over in 08, evidenced by his early success.

Either way, for a guy who's tired of talking about this topic, you were the one who brought it up. The op was a simple fun question, in rumorville mind you, about how close we maybe came to seeing a new coach at Nebraska. You were the one who interjected and wanted to shift it to a Boliever/Boleaver argument.

• Fire 7

I have followed this team for years and years. I have always expected them to do well, to be competitive with the top teams in the nation.

I honestly no longer have those expectations. I expect 9=4, nothing more, nothing less. It is the level of the program. I have no real idea of what to expect this year. Some feel we have a great young QB, others want the 2nd stringer to start. I want a good Oline that can protect him. I am not sure we have that, but it may be better than what was on the field the last 4 years.

I could care less about last year, it is over, nothing can change it. We have Bo for better or worse, or more realistically 9=4. I know he has support by the boosters, but that support is dwindling. A Boyear he stays, more than 4 losses he is gone. I would love to see him succeed, as I want Nebraska to succeed. We truly need to start being a player in the NC hunt. If we are not this year, I do not ever see us returning to or even being close to what the 90's provided. Time to $hit or get off the pot.

• Fire 3

We can't we expect more than 9-4. I expect to win a national title every year. Now that won't happen obviously but that is MY expectation of the team, and it SHOULD be the expectation of each and every player, coach, and administrative member, if it is not then they should be gone. If we don't win a national title the season as a whole isn't necessarily a failure but that expectation wasn't reached. Regardless we should expect to win something every year.

Just after Leak Gate thing, I was convinced Bo was fired on the spot with no questions asked. And I believe the same week for UCLA embarrassing loss and fueled by Tommy Frazier comments.... right?

Yes, VERY VERY close imo.

"F**k you, fans. F**k all of you.' F**k 'em. What a bunch of f**king fair-weather f**king—they can all kiss my a** out the f**king door."

Short of a losing season, last year was pretty much the perfect storm and Bo survived.

It will take 6-6 or worse to ensure his departure. I am simply not convinced he would be released after posting a winning record in any single season.

Multiple 8-4 or 7-5 seasons... maybe, but even then I have my doubts.

And Nebraska won't have a losing record this year. With the right breaks, and health, Nebraska could very well win the conference title this year. Worse case, the team ends up 9-3..10-3 after a bowl win.

Let's not forget, it may not have been a CCG or BCS bowl, but anytime that you can beat a quality SEC team in a bowl, that's a good thing. (albeit an banged up one...so were we, don't want to get into that debate, not my point)... It's not necessarily what NU should strive for, but none the less I love beating SEC teams!!! I know everyone keeps saying 1 more year, 1 more year...I get that. Personally I like Coach Bo, but more so, I like that last few classes we have put together and I really want to see what Bo can do with the talent coming up the pipe. I think it's exciting times to be a Husker fan and I hope to see good things in our future. GBR!!!

• Fire 2

Thought for sure he was gone after Iowa. They didn't fire him. Credit to Bo, he did about as good of a job as possible through the bowl season and into the offseason improving his image. Now, baring a complete disaster, I think it's pretty clear with his retention where the bar has been set. I honestly think he could survive 8-5 or a 7-6 type of season now. If the product on the field last season, coupled with the Pelini on the sideline and in the media was not enough...then 7-6 on it's own probably wouldn't' be enough either.

Face it, Bo is here for the long haul now. That was made clear in December.

• Fire 1