Fresno State Discussion

What we rolled out at the beginning of last season was a defense with next to no experience. Damon Benning has said more than once that the staff was not sure if they could stop anyone when last season kicked off. So the start of last year was more the defense being full of rookies playing their first real game, more than Wyoming being a good team. Much higher expectations from the defense this year. And Fresno is the 3rd game this year, and plays USC and Utah before hand. And Nebraska has two chumps prior. Anything other than expecting a solid win should be insulting.

Well we do want a little credit for scheduling both Miami and Fresno State in our non-con schedule.

Fresno State and Nebraska were rated roughly the same at year's end. Fresno State lost their QB, but the home stadium adds an edge. The Fresno State program has earned its respect. Other schools have avoided home/away agreements with Fresno because it's a trap game; always a potential for upset and not enough credit if you win. Especially if it's close. Fresno State on the road is a tougher task than Wyoming last year at home, and we know how that turned out.

So let's approach Fresno State for what it is; a potential trap game against a tricky offense on the road. It's ridiculous to settle on a number that represents the appropriate margin of victory. Let's watch the game and see how they play. If the Husker's play without passion, focus or fundamentals, or fail to make necessary in-game adjustments, I'm perfectly willing to put that on Bo Pelnii's shoulders. If they lose to Fresno State and beat Miami -- and a lot stranger things have happened -- what exactly does that mean?

But absent Bo biting the head off a kitten, I'm betting he remains coach for the entirety of the regular season. So let's also watch the entire season before making predictions just to match our personal agenda.

Very good post.......

In 2013, Fresno State (with Carr) barely won against Rutgers at Fresno CA, 52 to 51 (OT). Thus Knights are equal to Bulldogs?

Rutgers will be a 2nd or 3rd tiers according to many sources. BTN predictor placed 5th in B1G East standings.

The only thing, FSU crushed Wyoming at Laramie, 48 to 10. I looked up 2013 Coaches polls starting at four week mark thru the end (regular season), Bulldogs was higher ratings than our Huskers. Carr is critical or not? Either way, Huskers need to turn off turnovers machine ... if not, :(:bang:cry .

2013 FSU Stats: Total Offense - #3. Total Defense - #95. Turnover Ratio - #48. Individual Passing - Derek Carr - #1.

stadium-new.jpg

Bulldog Stadium. Semi-arid climate, 41,000 capacity, FieldTurf surface.

My point is not that we are bad or Bo is bad at his job. My point is that we as a group seem to demand less of this coach than others in the past. He has embarrassed us in many ways, by actions, comments. It is time for him to deliver what he has promised since day one.

Some of the media seem to think we have the top athletes in the division. If that is so, Jimmys and Joes win games, what is the problem? I will support him through this year, by attending games, donating money to the program/University. But if I see the same lack of preparation, poor roster management, lack of motivation, in game strategy changes that have been witnessed the last few years, I will be done. Do the job Bo. Quit talking about it. Do it.

• Fire 1

My point is not that we are bad or Bo is bad at his job. My point is that we as a group seem to demand less of this coach than others in the past. He has embarrassed us in many ways, by actions, comments. It is time for him to deliver what he has promised since day one.

Bingo. There isn't a coach in Nebraska's history that would have had a group of people framing a game against Fresno St as anything but an expected blowout.

• Fire 1

Bingo. There isn't a coach in Nebraska's history that would have had a group of people framing a game against Fresno St as anything but an expected blowout.

I agree with this. Bo has done his fair share of talking and now it is time to deliver. He also needs to quit thinking that the D might not be able to do it because they are young and just have them go out and do it. Confidence is everything especially on D.

So, you're saying Bo's the worst coach in Nebraska history?

That's pretty hyperbolic, even for you.

• Fire 1

No I'm saying Bo has some that expect nothing close to what the expectations were for other Nebraska coaches.

Some of the media seem to think we have the top athletes in the division. If that is so, Jimmys and Joes win games, what is the problem? I will support him through this year, by attending games, donating money to the program/University. But if I see the same lack of preparation, poor roster management, lack of motivation, in game strategy changes that have been witnessed the last few years, I will be done. Do the job Bo. Quit talking about it. Do it.

I suppose 4-losses was tolerable but myself, several embarrassing and lopsided losses especially prime time national TV :facepalm: . Could be right skersfan, "lack of preparation, poor roster management, lack of motivation, in game strategy changes". Plus Bo's red-faced antics, Leakgate episode and media cat fights.

Well better than Callaclown.

No I'm saying Bo has some that expect nothing close to what the expectations were for other Nebraska coaches.

I think that's a pretty naive statement too. I'd bet expectations before Devaney were fairly low, and even under Bill there was a lowered set of expectations compared to the previous 2 coaches. You're going to find a group like that all throughout the program's history.

It boils down to whether or not you think the minimum requirements have been met the last 6 years. But we've had this discussion a hundred times, so there's no sense in hashing it out again, because nobody is changing their minds until the season happens. I would think that topic would get boring, but apparently that's all some people can talk about. :dunno

I think that's a pretty naive statement too. I'd bet expectations before Devaney were fairly low, and even under Bill there was a lowered set of expectations compared to the previous 2 coaches. You're going to find a group like that all throughout the program's history.

It boils down to whether or not you think the minimum requirements have been met the last 6 years. But we've had this discussion a hundred times, so there's no sense in hashing it out again, because nobody is changing their minds until the season happens. I would think that topic would get boring, but apparently that's all some people can talk about. :dunno

kinda reaching there, maybe?

• Fire 1