Fresno State Discussion

I expect to get sunburned, BBQ a lot, and drink in the rich nightlife of Fresno, or Madera and Clovis, if I get really nuts.

What bold flavorS do you expect to experience?

Not gonna limit my experience by nailin down a choice now, kimosabe.

As for big boy teams struggling with mid-majors, yeah, it happens. But let's not pretend like it's anywhere close to the norm. The vast majority of the time the mid-major teams get their faces smashed into a jelly. Which is why it's noteworthy when they don't.

that was what i was thinking. yeah, you can list a lot of mid-majors who challenged the big boys because you will always remember those games. still far more instances of them smashing the mid-major. very much an availability heuristic.

but also, none of those teams were happy about it, either. it was cause for major concern. so, yeah, it happens. but it does not make it better or excuse it.

Flat out. If Nebraska loses to Fresno State whethsr they go 7-5 or 11-1, it will majorly suck and likely be the catalyst for a down year and a coaching change.

Unfounded speculation

If we lose to Fresno its gonna be hard to win 2 out of 3 road challenges remaining. Not saying I would agree with a change, just gonna make one more likely.

I don't think this will be a difficult game, and I will be disappointed if we struggle.

That doesn't mean I'm going to call a team that went 11-2, was ranked #20 in BCS, and won their conference "bad" or "lower level in their conference." In fact, they a picked by the media to win their division, the opposite of lower level.

Flat out. If Nebraska loses to Fresno State whethsr they go 7-5 or 11-1, it will majorly suck and likely be the catalyst for a down year and a coaching change.

Unfounded speculation

i think we can all assume that almost 99% percent of what is posted on this board is unfounded speculation. which is just another way to say someone's opinion. so let's just all acknowledge that it is already implied. no need to point it out.

• Fire 1

Nebraska wins. If they don't, the time, the location and the opponent will all be cited as reasons.

But let's face it, these are the situations a good coach manages well. Bo needs to have the guys ready to play physically and mentally. There are ways to adjust them to the time and game atmosphere and keep get them focused. This will be a big game for us as we play Florida Atlantic and McNeese State in the two weeks leading up to this.

This game should be when we hit full stride in prep for Miami coming to town the following week.

Did Fresno swap from the pass happy offense they have been in the past and last season?

As far as I know they are still pass happy.
Puff puff pass happy! Sorry had to. My buddy went to school there and on a couple visits, well there's no other way to put this, we smoke a lot of weed!!!

My brother in laws little brother played there for 4 years. Played for them when they came to Huskerland last.

I'm reminded of people worrying about Southern Miss in 2012 because they were decent in 2011. Although, all the reasons they were decent in 2011 were no longer there in 2012.

More or less the same kind of situation here. I don't think they'll be as bad as Southern Miss was that year, but they certainly shouldn't be considered "a threat". If Nebraska shows up on time and acts like they want to play football that night, they win, by several scores.

Exactly. I have no idea why some here are framing this as a tough game.

They aren't framing it as a tough game, they are saying that it could be closer than it should, and it wouldn't be just because Nebraska sucks.

If it's not a tough game, and Nebraska doesn't suck, then why is it close in this scenario?

Who knows. Ask Nick Saban why they were only up by 7 in the 4th quarter at home to Colorado state last year, and needed 2 late TD's to make it look respectable.

It happens. Every. Single. Year.

I'm reminded of people worrying about Southern Miss in 2012 because they were decent in 2011. Although, all the reasons they were decent in 2011 were no longer there in 2012.

More or less the same kind of situation here. I don't think they'll be as bad as Southern Miss was that year, but they certainly shouldn't be considered "a threat". If Nebraska shows up on time and acts like they want to play football that night, they win, by several scores.

Exactly. I have no idea why some here are framing this as a tough game.

They aren't framing it as a tough game, they are saying that it could be closer than it should, and it wouldn't be just because Nebraska sucks.

If it's not a tough game, and Nebraska doesn't suck, then why is it close in this scenario?

Who knows. Ask Nick Saban why they were only up by 7 in the 4th quarter at home to Colorado state last year, and needed 2 late TD's to make it look respectable.

It happens. Every. Single. Year.

You just described a three score victory as close.

• Fire 2

I don't think this will be a difficult game, and I will be disappointed if we struggle.

That doesn't mean I'm going to call a team that went 11-2, was ranked #20 in BCS, and won their conference "bad" or "lower level in their conference." In fact, they a picked by the media to win their division, the opposite of lower level.

If the previous years performance and media projection for 2014 reveals a reasonable expectation for Fresno, I can only assume you aren't too thrilled with Nebraska's prospects this season.

• Fire 1

For the sake of accuracy, Alabama was up 17-6 starting in the 4th quarter (which is 11 points, not 7) and won 31-6. It was still considered a sputtering performance, and it does happen every year to the best of teams. It even often happens to NU, which in recent history has gone on to then show that they weren't one of those 'best of teams' after all.

I wouldn't recommend panic if Fresno gives us a close game. Though I think there is a consensus here that this should not be expected.

• Fire 2