Fresno State Discussion

Should we steamroll Fresno? Absolutely.

Will we? Probably.

Should we panic if we only are up by 10 or so points in the 4th and tack a late TD on to pad the score? No way.

I wouldn't panic even if we only win by 10-14 points, depending on how the game was played.

We see it annually where great teams can struggle with a mid major. It happens, every single year.

i agree with this. not uncommon to struggle with an early non-con. all that matters is that we win. we could even have a good season if we lost, but a loss would be very disappointing.

• Fire 1

Will we? Probably.

Should we panic if we only are up by 10 or so points in the 4th and tack a late TD on to pad the score? No way.

I wouldn't panic even if we only win by 10-14 points, depending on how the game was played.

We see it annually where great teams can struggle with a mid major. It happens, every single year.

i agree with this. not uncommon to struggle with an early non-con. all that matters is that we win. we could even have a good season if we lost, but a loss would be very disappointing.
I think this is what is getting lost in translation. Polo has been saying that we should steam roll them simply because "they're a mid-major" and "we're Nebraska." Well, shouldn't Michigan have steam rolled Akron because they're Michigan, and shouldn't Ohio St steam roll Toledo because they're THE Ohio State University. I don't think anyone is trying to soften the blow, they are saying that the brand means jack crap on the field nowadays. Hell, it might actually be going in the opposite direction. Instead of Nebraska, Alabama, USC, Ohio St, and Michigan striking fear in the smaller schools, the smaller schools are acting like it's their Super Bowl, like David defeating Goliath.

I think this is what is getting lost in translation. Polo has been saying that we should steam roll them simply because "they're a mid-major" and "we're Nebraska." Well, shouldn't Michigan have steam rolled Akron because they're Michigan, and shouldn't Ohio St steam roll Toledo because they're THE Ohio State University. I don't think anyone is trying to soften the blow, they are saying that the brand means jack crap on the field nowadays. Hell, it might actually be going in the opposite direction. Instead of Nebraska, Alabama, USC, Ohio St, and Michigan striking fear in the smaller schools, the smaller schools are acting like it's their Super Bowl, like David defeating Goliath.

just to be clear, we should roll them. and it has nothing to do with brand or name. just that if we do not, it may not be reason to panic, but i might. and michigan and osu should have rolled those teams. and michigan, apparently, should have panicked, because they did not have a good season.

if neb. lost to fresno, it would be terribly disappointing and possible a portent for the future. or, maybe they recover and win the conference.

but we should beat them. because of a lot of reasons. i hope we can all agree on that.

just to be clear, we should roll them. and it has nothing to do with brand or name. just that if we do not, it may not be reason to panic, but i might. and michigan and osu should have rolled those teams. and michigan, apparently, should have panicked, because they did not have a good season.

if neb. lost to fresno, it would be terribly disappointing and possible a portent for the future. or, maybe they recover and win the conference.

but we should beat them. because of a lot of reasons. i hope we can all agree on that.

Agreed, we should beat Fresno (and fairly handily), but it won't be just because "we're Nebraska" and the outcome won't necessarily induce how the season will be. Whether we win 7 or 35, we still have the same opportunity to go 12-0 or 11-1.

Will we? Probably.

That's is not what I'm saying at all. I'm simply saying we do not get to have buckets of optimism about our key players like our RB's our defense and our coaching staff finally "getting it" and still have it be ok for a struggle against Fresno.

As for your Michigan argument, they get plenty of mockery here, as does their coach for those struggles.

Just to throw my two cents in......just curious, are we framing the Fresno St. game as a possible loss to somehow dampen the insane reaction Huskerboard, and Nebraska fans in general, would have if we somehow manged to lose that game?

I would ask the converse:

Are those who are insisting that all Nebraska has to do is show up and they'll roll Fresno State setting themselves up so they will still have something to complain about should Nebraska not win as far as they claim we should?

i would ask the inverse:

are those who are insisting that fresno is good because they are picked to win their conference setting themselves up so when we roll fresno they can act like it is a bigger win than it really is?

Over the last few years, teams that have lost one or fewer MWC conference game have beaten 10-2 Northern Illinois, played USC to three points, played Michigan State to four points, beaten Washington, beaten Georgia by 14, beaten Arizona State by 32, beaten Oregon State, and beaten Wisconsin. So I think being projected as a top MWC team is a lot more reason to consider someone a threat than it is to dismiss them because of their conference.

• Fire 2

Just to throw my two cents in......just curious, are we framing the Fresno St. game as a possible loss to somehow dampen the insane reaction Huskerboard, and Nebraska fans in general, would have if we somehow manged to lose that game?

Are those who are insisting that all Nebraska has to do is show up and they'll roll Fresno State setting themselves up so they will still have something to complain about should Nebraska not win as far as they claim we should?

Whoa! I'm not going all Wyoming 2013 here. We have to play to win, we cant just show up.

I'm personally not setting anything up to have something to complain about. I don't like to complain about this team. But if they lose that Fresno game, hell yes I'll complain. Nebraska should not struggle with them this year.

You weren't the one to say that. But it's been said.

Will we? Probably.

You guys have restored my hope in rational discussion.

Will we? Probably.

That's is not what I'm saying at all. I'm simply saying we do not get to have buckets of optimism about our key players like our RB's our defense and our coaching staff finally "getting it" and still have it be ok for a struggle against Fresno.

Actually you have said that. Repeatedly. You denials when you're called doesn't change that fact.

Will we? Probably.

Actually you have said that. Repeatedly. You denials when you're called doesn't change that fact.

This may stun you, but I do not care about being "called". If/when Nebraska doesn't beat Fresno on the same level as Utah or USC, or god forbid loses, this board won't care either.

• Fire 1

I'm reminded of people worrying about Southern Miss in 2012 because they were decent in 2011. Although, all the reasons they were decent in 2011 were no longer there in 2012.

More or less the same kind of situation here. I don't think they'll be as bad as Southern Miss was that year, but they certainly shouldn't be considered "a threat". If Nebraska shows up on time and acts like they want to play football that night, they win, by several scores.

• Fire 1

I'm reminded of people worrying about Southern Miss in 2012 because they were decent in 2011. Although, all the reasons they were decent in 2011 were no longer there in 2012.

More or less the same kind of situation here. I don't think they'll be as bad as Southern Miss was that year, but they certainly shouldn't be considered "a threat". If Nebraska shows up on time and acts like they want to play football that night, they win, by several scores.

Exactly. I have no idea why some here are framing this as a tough game.

As for big boy teams struggling with mid-majors, yeah, it happens. But let's not pretend like it's anywhere close to the norm. The vast majority of the time the mid-major teams get their faces smashed into a jelly. Which is why it's noteworthy when they don't.

i would ask the inverse:

are those who are insisting that fresno is good because they are picked to win their conference setting themselves up so when we roll fresno they can act like it is a bigger win than it really is?

Over the last few years, teams that have lost one or fewer MWC conference game have beaten 10-2 Northern Illinois, played USC to three points, played Michigan State to four points, beaten Washington, beaten Georgia by 14, beaten Arizona State by 32, beaten Oregon State, and beaten Wisconsin. So I think being projected as a top MWC team is a lot more reason to consider someone a threat than it is to dismiss them because of their conference.

So? The Mastermind from Boise is now in Washington. Utah is in the Pac12, and TCU is in the Big12. Utah State is probably the best team in the MWC with their star QB coming back off injury. And for these lower tier conferences, losing a long term starting QB is typically devastating to the following season. Fresno was winning games in shootouts last year vs better or equal talent. Take away the QB who was drafted in the second round, and expect that scoring total to drop dramatically against better teams.

People really need to look at real info before making picks for games, and previous season record means next to nothing.

• Fire 1