TE Jared Bubak [Signed GIA - Arizona State]

Mavric

So Riley didn't lay out their plan for him? Come be a TE at Nebraska? The impression I get is they didn't really want him and him not going to any of the camps didn't give the staff a good chance to get a look of him. Can't tell if this is a loss or not, but good luck to him and let's go get somebody better.

I looked at the kids tape. He played qb, rb and te. He can catch, has speed and elusiveness, and is smart. He is a very good player, but it appears from the tape that he has limited blocking experience (largely because of his roles on offense). I think that in asu he will focus on catching and making plays, and here he will need to block effectively (and would need at least a year to develop enough blocking skills to be on the field). With that, I can understand why he's looking at Asu. His current skill set is more suited for what they are offering (assuming they actually put him in that position). But I would still love him to come to NU. He can play.

Hey, he's grown up in a very Christian household his whole life. This is rebellion. I mean, the temptations in Tempe!? Yes please!! Football in Tempe? Not so much. I think the kid is looking to get away from the 'rents and is looking to sow some oats.

• Fire 1

https://twitter.com/ESPN_BigTen/status/615596705040347137

That Riley lost a pledge in June for the Class of 2016 is no cause for alarm and every bit as normal as adding a prospect. Six have committed to the Huskers this month. That Bubak grew up a few miles from Memorial Stadium classifies this setback as unusual.

What happened here? The Huskers can’t comment, of course. Bubak told the Omaha World-Herald that while Riley and his coaches scrambled in December and January to secure the 2015 class, the tight end -- rated as the No. 1 prospect this year in Nebraska -- looked around as a safety measure.
He visited ASU and felt a better fit. The Huskers, by all accounts, continued to pursue Bubak, but their edge had disappeared. And though Bubak has yet to announce his plans, the Sun Devils appear in good position to get him next February.
For Nebraska, it’s a reminder that even the top local players -- once all but a lock to stay home if offered a scholarship -- remain a challenge in recruiting. Sixteen years without a conference championship ensures that nothing comes as easily as a generation ago.

Do you think this is a done deal or just part of the recruiting saga?

I dont know

I know the Buback family

Chris is head of FCA- done some camps with him

But Ive never talked to him about his sons college choice

LC often times plays kids out of position to max out their team

I dont know enough about him to say he is a great player or not

What I hear from Jareds words is maybe he didnt feel wanted- like they really felt he was the right fit, That maybe NU was just honoring the commitment of the previous coaching staff.

JMO- have no inside info at all.

I can't imagine he'd decommit now and change his mind later. Anything can happen with 17/18 year olds but I would think he and his family would have made pretty sure that's what they wanted to do before announcing it.

That's why this has been in the works for a couple months. They were thinking about changing but wanted to make absolutely sure before they said anything.

I dont know

I know the Buback family

What I hear from Jareds words is maybe he didnt feel wanted- like they really felt he was the right fit, That maybe NU was just honoring the commitment of the previous coaching staff.

I was thinking the same. I read somewhere that the staff told him they would honor the previous staff's offer. If that's what they said (and how they said it, as opposed to we want you to come/we're excited with the prospect of you coming), I can understand. Also, you would think if the staff did really want him, they would taking action to try to get him back and I haven't heard anything to suggest they have (but that of course doesn't mean they haven't - I just haven't heard anything).

Of course this is just speculation. But hey, it's a message board.

I dont know

I know the Buback family

I was thinking the same. I read somewhere that the staff told him they would honor the previous staff's offer. If that's what they said (and how they said it, as opposed to we want you to come/we're excited with the prospect of you coming), I can understand. Also, you would think if the staff did really want him, they would taking action to try to get him back and I haven't heard anything to suggest they have (but that of course doesn't mean they haven't - I just haven't heard anything).

Of course this is just speculation. But hey, it's a message board.

I havent spoke to Chris in over a year

However I do know from what Ive read that Jared wasnt contacted until 6 weeks after the hire

That doesnt give me a good feeling if Im Jared

Would have done the same thing he did- put feelers out, cant blame him for that

He hasnt blocked much

That isnt a great fit for a TE in a Pro Style offense

MUCH less of a problem for the type of Spread that Rich Rod runs and how ASU uses Tight Ends- lots of flexed out- much less of a blocker- H back

The more I read about this situation, the more I believe it is best for both parties to part ways. A TE at NU better be able to block. Pro style or spread offense, whatever. It is time to move on. I never was excited about his commitment, and if he wasn't contacted for six weeks by the incoming coaching staff, they may not have been overly excited as well. JMPO.