BIG10 Media Days Bo Pelini

-The strength on D and the RBs coming back, running game be the strength? -"No, not necessarily. Need to establish running game to be a championship. You gotta be able to run the football. You have to have balance. We always talk about wanting to have balance, we've been a 60/40 run/pass team, want to get as close as 50/50. Gotta be able to execute at every phase of the game." -Bo

Darth_vader_no.gif

Agreed. I'd be happier to see it go the other direction. If you CAN successfully run the ball, why worry about an equal balance.

Holy sh#t you mean we wont have to listen to Shatel and Dirk and the rest of the media piss and moan all camp that they don't get to watch so they cant tell a story? Well that sucks it made for good reading.

Perhaps many readers are too surface level to take much away from what's written and talked about, but, I thought the Husker coverage was markedly improved thanks to practices being open. You'd probably throw a few complaints around yourself if people doing your job in other parts of the country had benefits (like watching team practices) you didn't.

Anyways, I know that there's a hodgepodge of national and local reporters at B1G media days, and they only allow a few questions for all the dozens of reporters sitting there. But, I wish we could've skipped the Maryland question and allowed Bo to offer some insight into the practice changes. I look forward to Nyatawa's piece.

• Fire 1

You'd probably throw a few complaints around yourself if people doing your job in other parts of the country had benefits (like watching team practices) you didn't.

With all due respect, no matter how many issues the folks in this profession have regarding the perks they are given by the University, their personal gripes have no business intruding into their coverage of this team. "The other kids get to" isn't a good excuse to openly gripe about the access they're given when they're not owed any access at all.

• Fire 2

Good work Chaddyboxer, thanks for all the effort you put into this. I listened to Bo a bit today on the radio and I just wanted to point out that he really said a lot of good things today. Things I've been hoping to hear from him for a long time. I'm just impressed and wanted to acknowledge the fact that I think he is evolving and I'm excited about it.

• Fire 2

You'd probably throw a few complaints around yourself if people doing your job in other parts of the country had benefits (like watching team practices) you didn't.

With all due respect, no matter how many issues the folks in this profession have regarding the perks they are given by the University, their personal gripes have no business intruding into their coverage of this team. "The other kids get to" isn't a good excuse to openly gripe about the access they're given when they're not owed any access at all.

It's nothing more than a frustration shared by members of a collective profession, much like any other job in the world. Their occasional gripes haven't intruded on a thing in my opinion, so I guess that's where we'll agree to disagree.

-The strength on D and the RBs coming back, running game be the strength? -"No, not necessarily. Need to establish running game to be a championship. You gotta be able to run the football. You have to have balance. We always talk about wanting to have balance, we've been a 60/40 run/pass team, want to get as close as 50/50. Gotta be able to execute at every phase of the game." -Bo

Darth_vader_no.gif

Agreed. I'd be happier to see it go the other direction. If you CAN successfully run the ball, why worry about an equal balance.

I am hoping, as I have for the past 6 years, that Bo is actually very good at the art of misdirection. i.e. vanilla in non-conference games because we are "keeping it a secret" until conference play or not showing our explosive O as we are waiting to unleash the beast in conference and then this comment posted above. I would like to think this is to confuse the opposing teams and we will come out in 2 back sets, power all the way and throw 10-12 times a game while relying on a revised punt return team )Bo finally realized punts can be returned) and leads the nation in return yards and TD's. Sadly, we will probably come out and sling the damn ball 30-35 times a game and then Beck will comment "I tried to much", "tried to hard to be balanced", "tried to force some plays", "went to conservative" etc......

I am hoping for something different and I really think the D can be the strength and really shut folks down.

Hoping that we run the ball dan the throat and do not try to be balanced because we "want to be". Do what works i.e. AA

• Fire 1

Darth_vader_no.gif

I am hoping, as I have for the past 6 years, that Bo is actually very good at the art of misdirection. i.e. vanilla in non-conference games because we are "keeping it a secret" until conference play or not showing our explosive O as we are waiting to unleash the beast in conference and then this comment posted above. I would like to think this is to confuse the opposing teams and we will come out in 2 back sets, power all the way and throw 10-12 times a game while relying on a revised punt return team )Bo finally realized punts can be returned) and leads the nation in return yards and TD's. Sadly, we will probably come out and sling the damn ball 30-35 times a game and then Beck will comment "I tried to much", "tried to hard to be balanced", "tried to force some plays", "went to conservative" etc......

I am hoping for something different and I really think the D can be the strength and really shut folks down.

Hoping that we run the ball dan the throat and do not try to be balanced because we "want to be". Do what works i.e. AA

I think screen passes will be the key to the passing attack in 2014.

The obvious benefit of the screen pass is that it is normally a high percentage pass. With a QB that has struggled to find open receivers, a well timed screen pass would not only get the ball to our best players (the RBs), but also help Tommy feel more comfortable.

However, the screen passes don't always need to go to the RBs. Both Kenny Bell and Jamal Turner have proven that when they get the ball in space, they are difficult to get a hold of. Brandon Reilly and Alonzo Moore are also guys who I believe would benefit from short yardage passes in open space. YAC. YAC. YAC.

Sling the ball around in nonconference and we probably won't care. Games we should win and Bo can be happy about 50/50. If we struggle throwing the ball, we shouldn't be afraid of being 70/30 run/pass with this set of backs. Whatever it takes to win. The numbers will tell their own story afterward.

• Fire 1

I wasn't too fond of Bo's 50/50 run/pass comment. I was hoping maybe we would find more ways to run the football with all the backs we have and good blocking personnel on the outside too.

If we really want to become a 50/50 run/pass team, then we need to play Fyfe. Not TA. I'm not rooting, just thinking schematically with certain skill sets seen mostly from spring game

I wasn't too fond of Bo's 50/50 run/pass comment. I was hoping maybe we would find more ways to run the football with all the backs we have and good blocking personnel on the outside too.

If we really want to become a 50/50 run/pass team, then we need to play Fyfe. Not TA. I'm not rooting, just thinking schematically with certain skill sets seen mostly from spring game

I'm not certain, but I believe what he meant by wanting to be 50/50 is that he wants the offense we be able to do anything at anytime. To me, it sounded more like, "in a perfect world, we want to be able to throw it or run it on any given down"

I could be misinterpreting things though.