Jeff Sagarin ratings are out

Just for fun, 2-2 Texas is ahead of 5-0 Nebraska in Sagarin's ratings.

Seems legit

If you understand how the predictor model works it isn't all that surprising. I'm sure UCLA is really high in his ratings and to reduce the error amount for the Texas-UCLA game Texas would get a good ratings boost for losing by 3. These sort of games have less impact as you add more games to the sample but with only a few games in they have a pretty heavy weighting at present.

Also two-loss Clemson and two-loss South Caroliny are ahead of Nebraska. It seems that the Sagarin model does not punish a team if they get beat by a better team.

I wonder what Texas will be ranked after Baylor beats them this Saturday. They'll be 2-3 and their stats will be very close to Louisiana Tech, ranked 88th this week:

25 Texas A = 81.64 2 2 72.74( 16)

88 Louisiana Tech A = 64.82 2 3 74.89( 10)

So will Sagarin drop Texas down to somewhere around 88th?

Baylor this week followed by OU. 2-4 lol

Hook'em :hookerhorns

Just for fun, 2-2 Texas is ahead of 5-0 Nebraska in Sagarin's ratings.

Seems legit

If you understand how the predictor model works it isn't all that surprising. I'm sure UCLA is really high in his ratings and to reduce the error amount for the Texas-UCLA game Texas would get a good ratings boost for losing by 3. These sort of games have less impact as you add more games to the sample but with only a few games in they have a pretty heavy weighting at present.

Shouldn't the BYU blowout loss have dropped them quite a bit though? BYU is only 23 in his rating. I know there is probably diminishing effect as the margin gets higher but it still should've hurt them. They don't really have a good win, do they?

One more reason I'm glad they have the committee, the piece of crap Sagarin ratings are out of the mix for picking who plays for it all.

Exactly, I would rather see a model over indulge an undefeated team now to show it is about winning than one that still thinks a .500 team has merit because they have played all 5-0 teams. The moment the undefeated loses and has the crap SOS; they get murdered in the indexing.

In any year, how bad can you rank an undefeated team well below a multiple loss team without at least 10 games played by everyone?

Michigan St - #13

BYU - #14

Huskers - #23

Wisky - #25

Texass - #31

tOSU - #35

U Thugs - #45

McNesse - #52

Iowa - #62

Fresno - #98

Michigan - #109

Guys, you didn't understand Sag's ratings. Concentrate ELO Chess column (used to be BCS formula input I think). However again, Sagaran is a spacecase ratings until early October .... Jeff admitted it .... pressure from USAToday contract. Grain of salt until October-ish date.

I admit I closely followed Sagarin reports every week for at least 10 years. Also, Massey composite ratings (NU #11 - numerous inputs) :snacks:

2013 Final Sags Rating: MSU #3, tOSU #19, Huskers #24, Wisky #28, Iowa #43, UM #48, PSU #49, Minny #55 ....... Compared to Coaches final poll: MSU #3, tOSU #10, Wisky #21 and Huskers #25.

And IMO, committee selection (playoffs) will be more controversy than BCS system. Mark my word. (guaranteed bias i.e. Pat Haden thing). In other words, BCS system is better than committee selection (minority voice).

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2014/team/

Exactly wrong. Not #31 but #109 (UM). And not #10 but #35 (tOSU)

You wanna play chess instead of checkers? ;)

Maybe you should explain where the numbers you posted in the OP are coming from. i'm still scratching my head. You post a ranking topic, then put numbers by a team and people are going to assume you are posting their ranking.

I don't see the number "10" anywhere in here....

17 Ohio State A = 84.77 3 1 66.85( 64) 0 0 | 0 0 | 82.82 20 | 86.00 15 | 77.34 35

Do you take the ELO (35) - Golden (20) + Predictor (15) - Golden (20) = 10? Only way I can get to 10 w/ those numbers. :dunno

Maybe you should explain where the numbers you posted in the OP are coming from. i'm still scratching my head. You post a ranking topic, then put numbers by a team and people are going to assume you are posting their ranking.

17 Ohio State A = 84.77 3 1 66.85( 64) 0 0 | 0 0 | 82.82 20 | 86.00 15 | 77.34 35

Do you take the ELO (35) - Golden (20) + Predictor (15) - Golden (20) = 10? Only way I can get to 10 w/ those numbers. :dunno

He posted those rankings before the season began and Ohio State lost to Virginia Tech. The link is updated weekly.

He posted those rankings before the season began and Ohio State lost to Virginia Tech. The link is updated weekly.

AHHHHH!!!! Didn't even look at the date - just saw all the other posts were from this week and went w/ that. It all makes senses now....sorta.