Offensive Identity

Completion % is a misleading stat because the QB can dink and dunk the ball all over and have a high completion %. The one stat I like to look at for passing efficiency is Yards Per Attempt. TA was 9.3 yards per attempt against FAU. That's pretty good.

Going into the season I wanted to see a more vertical passing game. NU definitely did that in game 1.

• Fire 5

Completion % is a misleading stat because the QB can dink and dunk the ball all over and have a high completion %. The one stat I like to look at for passing efficiency is Yards Per Attempt. TA was 9.3 yards per attempt against FAU. That's pretty good.

Going into the season I wanted to see a more vertical passing game. NU definitely did that in game 1.

Glad you said it. A lot of people on here eat up on high percentage numbers around the nation.

Glad you said it. A lot of people on here eat up on high percentage numbers around the nation.

Remember when you threw out some stats and then you said something like, "waiting for the next poster to say how stats can be misleading"?

Any stat can be misleading, but there is a near direct correlation between accuracy percentage and being a good or great quarterback. If you don't believe that I don't know what to tell you other than to go look at All-American and Heisman finalist quarterbacks over the last 10 years and notice what they have in common.

Yards Per Attempt can be equally as misleading, as can any other singular statistic.

passing stats have to be taken within the context of the style of the offense. if a Texas Tech quarterback completes 50% of his passes there's something off. Armstrong can probably get away with it in our style of offense, especially if he's got a decent yards per attempt, and especially if Abdullah wants to go ahead and run for 200+ yards every week.

Remember when you threw out some stats and then you said something like, "waiting for the next poster to say how stats can be misleading"?

Any stat can be misleading, but there is a near direct correlation between accuracy percentage and being a good or great quarterback. If you don't believe that I don't know what to tell you other than to go look at All-American and Heisman finalist quarterbacks over the last 10 years and notice what they have in common.

Yards Per Attempt can be equally as misleading, as can any other singular statistic.

Yes it can. You're right. To be clear I didn't argue against any of that. All I said was that I thought a lot of people get hung up on completion percentage. I DID NOT say that QB's with HIGH completion percentage weren't good, or couldn't be. That is you putting words in my mouth. Which you seem to be pretty good at in discussion. However, the point ultimately being made was that you don't have to have uber high completion percentage to be great. TA's abilities, for example, have had the offense tailored to him. To put him in the best position to be successful.

As for my comment earlier this year about stats. The point I was making is that some people will use that comment to throw anything they don't agree with aside, usually because of denial. Some use stats to fit their agenda of course but others choose to disregard for whatever reason.

• Fire 2

I liked the offense. Only one time I questioned Beck, which it came after a first down and we threw it three straight times.

then there was a time where ameer ran for 9 yds then beck went with 2 straight passes. first one went for 40+, second one went for a touchdown.

when bitching about beck's play calls what is often overlooked is how the play was executed. oftentimes the defense is caught so off guard that all the receiver has to do is catch the ball and it is a big play. but because that one little detail doesnt happen it makes beck look like an idiot, even though the play called was a perfect call.

Yes it can. You're right. To be clear I didn't argue against any of that. All I said was that I thought a lot of people get hung up on completion percentage. I DID NOT say that QB's with HIGH completion percentage weren't good, or couldn't be. That is you putting words in my mouth. Which you seem to be pretty good at in discussion. However, the point ultimately being made was that you don't have to have uber high completion percentage to be great. TA's abilities, for example, have had the offense tailored to him. To put him in the best position to be successful.

As for my comment earlier this year about stats. The point I was making is that some people will use that comment to throw anything they don't agree with aside, usually because of denial. Some use stats to fit their agenda of course but others choose to disregard for whatever reason.

Gotcha, misread your points there. It's definitely easy in general to have an opinion and then look for the stats that fit it and losing sight of the big picture taking all of them into account.

I want the Call Plays that Work offensive identity. LOL

For some reason I read that like it was a jeopardy player choosing a topic. Anyways it's nice when we can tailor our offense to get the most out the players we have on the field, at the end of the game, putting plays in that your athletes have a high probability of success is or should be the goal.

TL:DR- suck it Trebek, I agree.

Our offensive identity is that, one game into this season, still knocking off rust, without Zach Sterup (supposed to have started, but injured) we set the all-time conference record for most yards in a game.

I couldn't care less what this offense is called, how many pass plays or run plays we run, how the completion percentage looks, how time of possession looks - none of that matters. If we're scoring upwards of 40 points per game, amassing upwards of 500 yards of offense per game, they can call it anything they want.

Our "offensive identity" needs to be one thing - effective. Anything else is superfluous.

• Fire 4

I would call this offensive identity "Balls Out"

I like it.

Sometimes a field stretching bomb -- even an incompletion or two -- is what gets Ameer 15 yards on his next carry.

Tommy looks confident. I'm glad his coaches trust him. Especially to change plays at the line of scrimmage if he sees fit.

BTN was duly impressed. With the available working parts on display "this is a very hard offense for a defense to prepare against."

DiNardo says "I don't know how to put this, but I'm in LOVE with this Nebraska offense."

I really want to put this thread to rest, but as long as Nebraska throws two or more passes in a row, I'm afraid it will continue forever.