*** 2017 Recruiting ***

I'd be fine with 3 HS DTs. I'd almost prefer that I guess.

I think the need for the juco DT was this past cycle. We needed someone for this year. By next year, the kids will have a season of experience.

Wouldn't have been a need had we kept vv or one of the other 4 mass exodus

Would you guys be ok with a DT senario where we take Thomas, Kitrell, and 1 more 4 star caliber HS guy (Eliss or the kid from Tenn for example)....and pass on the JUCOs?

I'm not convinced we need a JUCO. I think we have enough young talent on the roster now that a JUCO isn't necessary.

We're not particularly deep - especially without taking anyone last year - but I think the guys we have can definitely get the job done and they might as well get the reps.

I think a JUCO DT is needed to play in 2017 because there will only be 4 scholly players at that point with Maurice graduating after this year. Having 5 upperclassmen available to rotate at DT would be preferred IMO. I would rather see the HS DT's redshirt a year then add depth in 2018.

I think a JUCO DT is needed to play in 2017 because there will only be 4 scholly players at that point with Maurice graduating after this year. Having 5 upperclassmen available to rotate at DT would be preferred IMO. I would rather see the HS DT's redshirt a year then add depth in 2018.

I don't know what being an upper-classman has to do with anything. Either they are good enough or they're not. We'll have Newell, Stoltenberg and the Davis twins. If anyone would get hurt we could be in trouble but we could have a walk-on to help fill in or if we can get a stud freshman perhaps they'd be ready for some spot duty.

I think we're waiting to see how good the guys we have are before we decide if we need a juco guy kind of like we did last year at LB.

Exactly.

• Fire 1

Typically on the o-line and d-line strength is the most important attribute. Upperclassmen are usually stronger then underclassmen. Not required, however if you look at the dominating lines that we had back in the 90's most guys didn't start until their 3rd year.

I don't know what being an upper-classman has to do with anything. Either they are good enough or they're not. We'll have Newell, Stoltenberg and the Davis twins. If anyone would get hurt we could be in trouble but we could have a walk-on to help fill in or if we can get a stud freshman perhaps they'd be ready for some spot duty.

I think we're waiting to see how good the guys we have are before we decide if we need a juco guy kind of like we did last year at LB.

Exactly.
The upperclassman part is about having a couple of years of post HS S&C to be D-Line ready. I would rather have a JUCO fill a contributing spot than force a true Fr. into action. If HH had bothered to bring in a HS DT last year, then I would be ok with 3 HS DTs this class and letting the RFr. be the 5th contributor. IMO 5 players who can contribute in a meaningful way at DT is preferable.

The upperclassman part is about having a couple of years of post HS S&C to be D-Line ready. I would rather have a JUCO fill a contributing spot than force a true Fr. into action. If HH had bothered to bring in a HS DT last year, then I would be ok with 3 HS DTs this class and letting the RFr. be the 5th contributor. IMO 5 players who can contribute in a meaningful way at DT is preferable.

Like I said, it really only matters if you can get the job done or not. Being here an extra year or two helps but it's only one way to get better, not a guarantee. We would only be forcing a freshman to contribute if we're forced to get down to our #5 DT (assuming there aren't any walk-ons to help out). It's a bit of a gamble but it's the spot we put ourselves in by not taking any last year.

I'm all about having as much talent as possible. If we can get a stud JUCO DT, that would be great. But unless it's a top-shelf guy, I doubt he'd be more talented than the Davis twins - who would be working on their third year in the program by them - or even significantly better than Stoltenberg or Newell who would be fourth-year juniors. And all of those guys are going to be getting significant reps this year so they'll have as much experience as any JUCO would and been in our program for longer. So I don't like the idea of bringing in a JUCO who may play or may not. I'd rather take my chances on a freshman who you hope you don't have to play but at worst is already working on building those years into the program for 3-4 years down the road.

Like I said, it really only matters if you can get the job done or not. Being here an extra year or two helps but it's only one way to get better, not a guarantee. We would only be forcing a freshman to contribute if we're forced to get down to our #5 DT (assuming there aren't any walk-ons to help out). It's a bit of a gamble but it's the spot we put ourselves in by not taking any last year.

I'm all about having as much talent as possible. If we can get a stud JUCO DT, that would be great. But unless it's a top-shelf guy, I doubt he'd be more talented than the Davis twins - who would be working on their third year in the program by them - or even significantly better than Stoltenberg or Newell who would be fourth-year juniors. And all of those guys are going to be getting significant reps this year so they'll have as much experience as any JUCO would and been in our program for longer. So I don't like the idea of bringing in a JUCO who may play or may not. I'd rather take my chances on a freshman who you hope you don't have to play but at worst is already working on building those years into the program for 3-4 years down the road.

Not really a huge issue to me, but a scenario of finding a true freshman lineman to be a contributor has got to be much tougher than finding a JUCO who can contribute. It is very rare that true freshmen contribute in a meaningful way right away. I think you are discounting the value of a redshirt to a lineman.

If we follow with a Kitrell offer soon, are we good at DT if we take Kitrell, Thomas, and 1 JUCO (Johnson)?

I would think so. Don't see us taking four in one year.

I thought i saw where one of the coaches said we could have as many as 6 D linemen in this class. Maybe they are talking DT and DE while you are just talking DT.
Yes that was Banker and that number was both DE and DT. The number was 3 each.

According to an interview with the DE target Lichtenstein, JP says they are only taking 1 DE this year which contradicts what Banker said in an interview earlier this Spring. Just guessing but maybe the number 3 was the pre-Spring Ball goal and now that JP has had a chance to evaluate the current talent on the roster maybe he feels they are pretty good and just need to develop the potential and not do a drastic overhaul. The number of DEs currently on the roster is pretty good, 7 scholly guys will be back for 2017.

Anyone know anything about DT Noah Elliss? Didn't see a thread on him, but we look to have offered.

I read something about him elsewhere saying that he transferred to the same school that Eric Lee went to (Valor Christian). His dad (Luther) played in the NFL at DE in the 90s/00s, so I'm guessing there is some connection with Parrella there. And it was indicated that he is interested in us. He is "only" a 3*, but has offers from a who's who of CFB teams.

• Fire 1
  • Mavric changed the title to *** 2017 Recruiting ***