Receiver Depth

If we are only going to give Newby just a few carries a game, I would hope we begin to get him some work in the slot to use his receiving abilities, especially given our depleted WR corps. Granted he won't be able to learn the WR position in season, but just give him 10-15 plays a game out of the slot to let him work.

Also, I really believe Beck when he said a few weeks ago that he doesn't pay attention to personnel on the field, he just calls plays. It's the only explanation as to why he ran multiple screens to Allen tonight.

I think back to that missed INT by Spart that Westerkamp ended up catching. Westerkamp and Allen were side by side. Westerkamp dusts Allen as they are both running towards the end zone. Makes it worse that if Allen just gets out in front of Westy for a block, it's an easy TD. But Allen had nowhere near the speed to keep up.

• Fire 1

If we are only going to give Newby just a few carries a game, I would hope we begin to get him some work in the slot to use his receiving abilities, especially given our depleted WR corps. Granted he won't be able to learn the WR position in season, but just give him 10-15 plays a game out of the slot to let him work.

Also, I really believe Beck when he said a few weeks ago that he doesn't pay attention to personnel on the field, he just calls plays. It's the only explanation as to why he ran multiple screens to Allen tonight.

I think back to that missed INT by Spart that Westerkamp ended up catching. Westerkamp and Allen were side by side. Westerkamp dusts Allen as they are both running towards the end zone. Makes it worse that if Allen just gets out in front of Westy for a block, it's an easy TD. But Allen had nowhere near the speed to keep up.

The whole 4 quarter we must have had several WR running wrong/bad routes as they were bunched up on several plays!

This is a legitimate concern.

We ask our WRs to read coverages on the field. In critical situations, it's far from ideal to be running guys who have as little experience as Pierson-El and Hovey, and they ran right into each other.

On the other hand it was one mistake by a freshman and a sophomore. It's not like they won't go over things in the film room. I like the potential of both.

Not to give you too much credit LOMS, but good point. That is an aspect of it, Tommy not seeing it. We may be doing a lot more things than Average Joe fan (myself included) is just not seeing. Not just limited to the TE either. I was literally thinking this exact thing about the television view, today while driving. As a fan we do speculate with very little knowledge of what the actual intentions are. Even recently I've struggled with this because I hate to blame players for ugly games like this last weekend, although they are obviously part of the problem. It's just hard to tell how big of a part. What is it we are missing. What are we trying to do that we are not getting done?

One thing is for sure. I'd much rather be the guy that asks questions or tries to figure it out, rather than simply blame and point fingers. Although I do a bit of both.

The more I learn the more I learn that I don't know anything.

Football is so incredibly complicated and there's such a tremendous amount of thought and work that goes into it by everyone involved that at the end of the day I just have to sit down and admit that I am an outsider with no more than a layman's uneducated opinion about what's going on, and usually along the way I'll form an opinion about something, only to figure out new details at some point that make me realize I was dead wrong.

That fumbled pitch by Newby against Michigan State last year is a perfect example. On the surface it looks like he just failed to make a routine play, completely inexcusable. But then a week ago Hail Varsity writes out an article that goes into how the angle and position of the sun in relation to the stadium is a very real obstacle and how Terrell had the sun right in his eyes, and also went from shade to daylight at the very instant of trying to catch the football, which can't be easy for the best of them.

True, we just don't know what they're dealing with...........if the pass to Moore is a foot shorter, maybe we win the game. That's how it is.

There's a kid on the roster at WR named De'Mornay Pierson-El .........maybe they should give him a look?

We have! He is a great athlete, but does not know the playbook. He played in the 4th qtr. and was involved in the bunching of WR. It is only a matter of time.

LMAO everyone's excuse. Its not hard to teach a WR slant, out & Up, curl route, post rout, fade, corner route. Every team in the nation has Freshman wr's that can run pass routes and catch. Its not that hard.

the #9 and 10 ranked receivers in the country in yards are FRESHMAN.

There's a kid on the roster at WR named De'Mornay Pierson-El .........maybe they should give him a look?

We have! He is a great athlete, but does not know the playbook. He played in the 4th qtr. and was involved in the bunching of WR. It is only a matter of time.

LMAO everyone's excuse. Its not hard to teach a WR slant, out & Up, curl route, post rout, fade, corner route. Every team in the nation has Freshman wr's that can run pass routes and catch. Its not that hard.

We ask the QB and WRs to make reads. Good or bad, it's not as simple as knowing how to run particular routes.

Wasn't he the one that ran into Hovey causing the interception on the final play of the game? I know Hovey has a role in this too, but that's kinda a big deal.

We ask the QB and WRs to make reads. Good or bad, it's not as simple as knowing how to run particular routes.

Again I get that and all but really. I guess we just recruit the dumbest players in America.

Wasn't he the one that ran into Hovey causing the interception on the final play of the game? I know Hovey has a role in this too, but that's kinda a big deal.

No. The DB knocked Hovey off his route and that's why they were asking for a interference call after the int. which should have been called, just one more to add to the list. TA needs to make better reads the receivers need to run better routes (young receivers) but the game didn't get lost there it was lost by the Oline play the rest of the game. No matter if it was Scheme that caused the problem or just a really bad day for the oline.