***** What did we learn - Fresno St Edition *****

walksalone

There is a difference between a cut block and a chop block. Chop blocks are illegal and seemed to be what he was talking about.

I know the difference between chop blocks and cut blocks, the problem is most people don't. Randy said cut blocks, and there is nothing wrong with them,as far I know. If they were chopping, then Randy or the coaching staff needed to address that with the officials.

Now, I thought that a few years ago there was a new rule that outside of a certain area that cut blocks were no longer allowed, but I've never seen anything that says that OL can't cut block at the LOS. I could hav missed something.

Do you have the exact quote from Randy? I've looked but haven't found him quoted as specifying the type of block. Just that they were "dirty".

“When you have one guy blocking you, and another guy cutting you, that’s illegal. When you’re cutting a guy next to the pile, that’s illegal. There’s a lot of holding, dirty plays that the refs kind of let go by, I don’t know why. It is what it is, we came out with the win.”

“I told them they’re sorry," Gregory said. "If you can’t block straight up, that’s sorry. If you have to cut us every play to keep us from getting to the quarterback, that’s sorry. When they blocked us without cutting, you saw what happened. We got to the quarterback. I think it worked for them, it was important for them they did that, and it shows how they are as a unit they have to cut us to block us.”

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Article/Randy-Gregory-talks-about-his-first-game-back-31168305

This was from a 247 article, so you may need a subscription view it, but these were quotes from Randy talking about the blocking.

• Fire 3

There is a difference between a cut block and a chop block. Chop blocks are illegal and seemed to be what he was talking about.

I know the difference between chop blocks and cut blocks, the problem is most people don't. Randy said cut blocks, and there is nothing wrong with them,as far I know. If they were chopping, then Randy or the coaching staff needed to address that with the officials.

Now, I thought that a few years ago there was a new rule that outside of a certain area that cut blocks were no longer allowed, but I've never seen anything that says that OL can't cut block at the LOS. I could hav missed something.

Do you have the exact quote from Randy? I've looked but haven't found him quoted as specifying the type of block. Just that they were "dirty".

“When you have one guy blocking you, and another guy cutting you, that’s illegal. When you’re cutting a guy next to the pile, that’s illegal. There’s a lot of holding, dirty plays that the refs kind of let go by, I don’t know why. It is what it is, we came out with the win.”

“I told them they’re sorry," Gregory said. "If you can’t block straight up, that’s sorry. If you have to cut us every play to keep us from getting to the quarterback, that’s sorry. When they blocked us without cutting, you saw what happened. We got to the quarterback. I think it worked for them, it was important for them they did that, and it shows how they are as a unit they have to cut us to block us.”

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Article/Randy-Gregory-talks-about-his-first-game-back-31168305

This was from a 247 article, so you may need a subscription view it, but these were quotes from Randy talking about the blocking.

Thanks for the quotes. So he's complaining about chop blocks "one guy blocking you, and another guy cutting you" (which is illegal and I saw once or twice) and cuts next to the pile "cutting a guy next to the pile" (which I didn't know was illegal). And then later is criticizing them for cut blocking legally, as well.

When you have one guy blocking you, and another guy cutting you, thats illegal. When youre cutting a guy next to the pile, thats illegal. Theres a lot of holding, dirty plays that the refs kind of let go by, I dont know why. It is what it is, we came out with the win.

I told them theyre sorry," Gregory said. "If you cant block straight up, thats sorry. If you have to cut us every play to keep us from getting to the quarterback, thats sorry. When they blocked us without cutting, you saw what happened. We got to the quarterback. I think it worked for them, it was important for them they did that, and it shows how they are as a unit they have to cut us to block us.

Thanks for the quotes. So he's complaining about chop blocks "one guy blocking you, and another guy cutting you" (which is illegal and I saw once or twice) and cuts next to the pile "cutting a guy next to the pile" (which I didn't know was illegal). And then later is criticizing them for cut blocking legally, as well.

I'm surprised on the plays were someone was engaged with Gregory and then he got blocked down low wasn't called.

I guess Gregory said Fresno's line played dirty, going for low cut blocks, called their coach dirty.

Serious question, did the NCAA make a rule change that makes cut blocks by offensive lineman illegal?

If not then Randy needs to zip it.

Here's a chop block (uncalled, of course) against McMullen.

tvKjaN.jpg

You can't high low someone like that. But I did see a lot of just standard cut blocks.

yeah, i edited it because i realized that i was thinking of a cut block when the pic was a chop block.

i saw a lot of cut blocks as well and i think they are pretty dirty. they certainly look dirty.

There were a lot of totally legal cut blocks. There were also a lot of double cut blocks (two guys cutting the same defender) which are legal but not standard practice. I could see why - especially if there were several uncalled chop blocks - could have the defenders thinking they were pretty dirty.

There were a lot of totally legal cut blocks. There were also a lot of double cut blocks (two guys cutting the same defender) which are legal but not standard practice. I could see why - especially if there were several uncalled chop blocks - could have the defenders thinking they were pretty dirty.

they may be legal, but they seem at least cheap and definitely desperate. i just do not like them. but it seems easy to exploit once you know that is the game.