***** What did we learn - Fresno St Edition *****

walksalone

If Beck doesn't get "pass happy" we don't move the ball.

Ameer got his carries in the right situations, but in case you didn't notice, they weren't going far.

Passing: 24 attempts for 282 yards.

Rushing: 42 attampts for 280 yards.

Beck rushes twice as much as he passes. Passing game gets more yards. Each facet helps the other.

Yet people still bitch.

Damn those successful big plays!

I don't think you fully grasp what the criticism is.

Good:

PR game was a pleasant surprise. IIRC, DPE got more yards last night than all of 2013.

Cross can take it to the house.

Gerry is as advertised. Will only get better.

DL played solid. Would like them to get more pressure instead of "clogging up the line" and allowing LB's to make plays.

Westy and KB are by far the most sure handed receivers. Hovey (don't know who he is) showed up big time.

Roach was blowing folks up on ST.

ST play as a whole was much improved.

AA being AA

TE actually got to play

Bad:

OL play. Needs to be much more consistent.

Cotton making penalties. Come on man, you're a captain

TA decides where he is going with the ball on passing plays. A good D will jump these routes. Its on film and MSU will eat our passing game alive

Beck called a decent game, but still doesn't seem to try and put a series together or use one play to set another.

Would like to see more PA, misdirection, traps, draws, screens and roll the pocket to assist with 8 in the box

Overall, a good game in that we won. A lot if stuff on film to improve on. Since we seem committed to the passing game, I would love to see Beck "limit" the routes and not have as many in play at one time i.e. 2 primary and the dump route. Heard yesterday that limiting the routes reduces the reads and progressions and allows a newer QB to have more success earlier until they get comfortable.

Unsure if it is Warren or the DB's, but I would like more press coverage. A quick release from the QB will limit our pass rush. With Gregory healthy and Newby improving dramatically, quick routes negate this advantage. Might be we are missing the size of SJB to allow us to press as our CB's aren't as big.

Really need the OL to become more consistent. Appeared good in passing, but run was hit or miss. Beck needs to add some quick routes, screens, draws, traps etc to hurt teams that over pursue. Through in some misdirection and PA to get em out of the box. Use more 2 TE sets as well.

• Fire 2

I guess Gregory said Fresno's line played dirty, going for low cut blocks, called their coach dirty.

Watching the game, I would agree. They were cut blocking every time on Gregory and some of the other guys....

I was at the game and they were absolutely cut blocking.

Who cares if they were cut blocking? As DLineman you are suppose to use your hands to help you in that regard. It's not dirty, it's not against the rules. It absolutely helps against an uncontrolled pass rush. Points for Fresno for using it because they HAD to. Smart Coaching right there. Not dirty. Gregory needs to keep the NFL out of his mind when he speaks. Understand the game, toughen up.

I guess Gregory said Fresno's line played dirty, going for low cut blocks, called their coach dirty.

Watching the game, I would agree. They were cut blocking every time on Gregory and some of the other guys....

Who cares if they were cut blocking? As DLineman you are suppose to use your hands to help you in that regard. It's not dirty, it's not against the rules. It absolutely helps against an uncontrolled pass rush. Points for Fresno for using it because they HAD to. Smart Coaching right there. Not dirty. Gregory needs to keep the NFL out of his mind when he speaks. Understand the game, toughen up.

between the tackles and within 5 yards LOS completely legal. My comments were not aimed at it being illegal. NU made hay using this block with the option as do several schools that primarily run it today. The problem, IMO, is it appears that we did not game this and failed to teach or mention to our DL how to counter i.e. stay low, get your hands on them and push them into the ground (hips and hands "play behind your hands). Best way to negate this block is to practice against it and it appears we did not.

Yeah, Gregory most definitely is not going to do that.

Anyone catch Armstrong's cut block that nearly caused the defender to do a complete forward flip?

I did. Called it out on the game discussion thread. Give Fresno some of their own medicine.

Note: I had no problem with Fresno utilizing cut blocks, and Armstrong's was just bad ass.

I have no problem with it either. It is just awesome to see a QB take someone out. Although, not within the box, he probably could have got called for clipping. I thought he was out pretty wide when he did it.

If Beck doesn't get "pass happy" we don't move the ball.

Ameer got his carries in the right situations, but in case you didn't notice, they weren't going far.

Passing: 24 attempts for 282 yards.

Rushing: 42 attampts for 280 yards.

Beck rushes twice as much as he passes. Passing game gets more yards. Each facet helps the other.

Yet people still bitch.

Damn those successful big plays!

+100

As someone else mentioned, the passing game was much more efficient and effective than the run game.

For all the people complaining about our boom and bust offense, do you think the defense FSU played might have something to do with that?

I read an article where they said Randy was complaining about CHOP blocks, not cut blocks. I'll have to see if I can find it.