Husker fans booing

First Congrats on the big win. I was watching the game and chatting back and forth to some other McNeese fans. One ot the things that was said nearthe end of the game was "I bet there won't be any standing ovation for the Miami players when they leave the field." Looks like Miami's players are back to being Miami. One reason that is one program that I have never liked.

Good luck next week,

Doc

Welcome back, Doc, and thanks for watching.

Regarding the booing -- like others have said, pregame I think it was absolutely classless and out of character. The fact that we DON'T do stuff like that is what makes us classy. During the game, particularly while they were raping Gregory and flipping us off - yes, boo away, by all means. When they left the field, I'm torn -- it would have been more classy to clap. I was personally over in the tunnel high-fiving our guys walking out, watching as my boy tried to intercept every glove, sweat rag, and other accessories the players were casting out, so I didn't see it.

What I really had more of a problem with was the crowd chanting "bullsh...." -- yeah, it was BS, there were some really bad calls and some even worse no-calls, things that weren't caught on video, but again, NOT doing that is what makes us a class act. I think booing those calls is fine, but escalating to mass profane chants is over the edge.

Regarding the bolded, how many games have you been to? Because this is an incredibly common occurrence - any big game and I'll bet you money you'll hear it at least once.

Clapping when they left the field wouldn't make us classy - it would make us robots. Clapping is a sign of appreciation and frankly there wasn't anything to appreciate. The gesture didn't fit and wasn't appropriate.

The sooner we collectively realize that we are really no better than any other fan base the better. Sure we may generally behave in a more classy and respectful manner than what happens in many stadiums but, we aren't robots. When opposing players snub the post game handshakes and instead flip off the crowd on their way out, yeah they're gonna get booed, and deservedly so. Let's not act like that is somehow beneath us, it's just natural. Oh and btw, f#*k Miami, bunch of classless thugs. I loved the fire in the belly from our players and our fans.

First Congrats on the big win. I was watching the game and chatting back and forth to some other McNeese fans. One ot the things that was said nearthe end of the game was "I bet there won't be any standing ovation for the Miami players when they leave the field." Looks like Miami's players are back to being Miami. One reason that is one program that I have never liked.

Good luck next week,

Doc

Welcome back, Doc, and thanks for watching.

Regarding the booing -- like others have said, pregame I think it was absolutely classless and out of character. The fact that we DON'T do stuff like that is what makes us classy. During the game, particularly while they were raping Gregory and flipping us off - yes, boo away, by all means. When they left the field, I'm torn -- it would have been more classy to clap. I was personally over in the tunnel high-fiving our guys walking out, watching as my boy tried to intercept every glove, sweat rag, and other accessories the players were casting out, so I didn't see it.

What I really had more of a problem with was the crowd chanting "bullsh...." -- yeah, it was BS, there were some really bad calls and some even worse no-calls, things that weren't caught on video, but again, NOT doing that is what makes us a class act. I think booing those calls is fine, but escalating to mass profane chants is over the edge.

Regarding the bolded, how many games have you been to? Because this is an incredibly common occurrence - any big game and I'll bet you money you'll hear it at least once.

Clapping when they left the field wouldn't make us classy - it would make us robots. Clapping is a sign of appreciation and frankly there wasn't anything to appreciate. The gesture didn't fit and wasn't appropriate.

I haven't been to a game since 04 but I have never heard that chant in Lincoln...

Respect is earned, not given. I loved it. "Best fans in the world" have allowed too many teams in the past 14 years to come into our house and win. At times, such a docile crowd, other than the sea of red it is like a home game.

I wish every home game from here on out would be like that. Yelling, screaming, student section in full force and a hostile place to play.

We applaud opponents who come in and give it their all...the right way. We don't applaud a program who comes in and flips off the crowd, throws punches, cuts our best defender twice on the same play, pulls facemasks a la Eric Crouch, and calls timeouts at the end of the game when you're three scores down.

f#*k you, Thug U.

• Fire 2

I like the fact that we as fans are so welcoming to the travelling fans of opposing teams. I don't like to let football dictate who I can and cannot like. I was watching the game at a truck stop with a room full of random truck drivers. There were Alabama fans, Oklahoma fans, a Mississippi State fan (who got really excited over the upset at LSU) and a bunch of others. Even a Missouri fan. Before, during, and even after the game, I had a hell of a good time with those guys. Despite the ribbing and idle trash talk, there was no real hostility in the room, even from the fans of our old long time rivals. There were some good conversations, once I made it clear that I wasn't hostile towards certain teams. (It was stretching the truth a little, but I do think OU has a pretty good team. I have family in Alabama who are all huge Tide fans.) The point was, just because I'd rather see Nebraska beat the pants off of their team doesn't mean that I don't respect those programs. For the most part, the feeling was mutual, even from that one Sooner fan...

That said, in the stadium when the game is on the line, we as fans have to be as ruthless as possible and make a truly hostile environment for opposing teams. We need to keep the energy up, let our players feed off it, and beat them so bad they'll think twice before stepping on the field against us again. This doesn't mean laughing of jeering at injured players, that's just rude. It doesn't mean booing the team before the game has even started. Booing in response to truly disrespectful action is completely justified though, whether committed by refs or opposing teams. Teams that come in to Memorial Stadium and play good football, show respect to the spirit and letter of the rules, and show good sportsmanship deserve to be cheered and applauded. MacNeese State did that, and deserved the standing ovation. A good portion of the Miami team failed at all three, and deserved to be booed out of the stadium. That said, Kaaya played well and has a bright future ahead of him, and to me it didn't appear as if he was doing more than a little bit of game time trash talk that every team does. I was impressed with Duke Johnson's skill and talent, as well as his sportsmanship. I didn't see him doing much trash talk, and he settled things on the field during play. There were others that showed tremendous poise and sportsmanship and should be commended for their respect to the game. But the majority of those players did not and deserved what they got.

My point is that before the game, both players and fans should be respectful, welcoming, and show every scrap of class they possess to the visitors. However, from the opening kickoff to the final whistle, play hard, play fast, and play mean (within the limits of the rules...) or be as loud and disruptive as possible if you're watching from the stands. But once the game is over, it's over. Be cool, be classy, and cheer as the winners go by.

• Fire 2

I don't think you cheer a team off the field who were constantly trying to start fights and injure one of your star players. No problem with booing them. Hopefully there was no garbage or anything thrown at them, and no picking fights with their fans. I like our reputation for treating other teams well after the game, but that still has to be earned by each team with good sportsmanship on the field. It's not automatic.

Not all the Miami players were classless. In fact, it was a small minority and I have little doubt that some of that was provoked by Randy Gregory flapping his gums the entire game (which I don't have a problem with).

What's unfortunate is that all of Miami's players were "booed," when it probably should have been only a half dozen or so.

The sooner we collectively realize that we are really no better than any other fan base the better.

Define "better than." That seems to imply we have some egotism regarding the way we behave toward other teams or their fans. We don't. We're just nice, like typical Nebraskans. You go to most any little town, you say you're from Washington or Vermont or Kentucky & we'll typically say "Welcome to Nebraska" or "What brings you here," or some other nicety.

We'd be pretty rotten sacks of crap if we truly thought we were "better than" anybody else. We're just nice. We're welcoming - even to Miami fans, despite how their team behaved. We had five or six Miami fans in our section. They were treated nicely, everyone talked to them throughout the game, any bitterness was directed toward the field, not them, and when they left, as we wished them a safe ride home, they remarked how they had been treated better here than anywhere else they'd been.

Nobody was being friendly toward them out of some variation of "we're better than you," it was just Nebraskans being Nebraskans.

That's all that happens at Memorial Stadium. Better than/worse than/same as... that's a weird, immeasurable metric.

• Fire 1

The sooner we collectively realize that we are really no better than any other fan base the better.

Define "better than." That seems to imply we have some egotism regarding the way we behave toward other teams or their fans. We don't. We're just nice, like typical Nebraskans. You go to most any little town, you say you're from Washington or Vermont or Kentucky & we'll typically say "Welcome to Nebraska" or "What brings you here," or some other nicety.

We'd be pretty rotten sacks of crap if we truly thought we were "better than" anybody else. We're just nice. We're welcoming - even to Miami fans, despite how their team behaved. We had five or six Miami fans in our section. They were treated nicely, everyone talked to them throughout the game, any bitterness was directed toward the field, not them, and when they left, as we wished them a safe ride home, they remarked how they had been treated better here than anywhere else they'd been.

Nobody was being friendly toward them out of some variation of "we're better than you," it was just Nebraskans being Nebraskans.

That's all that happens at Memorial Stadium. Better than/worse than/same as... that's a weird, immeasurable metric.

While I agree with most of what you said, I would say there is a sense of pride taken out of our hospitality that is on the verge of egotistic. One example is the fact we have an entire thread dedicated to the compliments we receive from visiting fans about their time here, most of which are second hand account from HB members. That just seems like too much back-patting to me. Again, just my opinion - feel free to disagree.

• Fire 1