Mike Pereira: Nebraska's Bo Pelini once again crosses the line with officials

zoogs

I watched the broadcast of the game just now on DVR. That was an atrocious call. Bo was rightfully arguing the call, and said nothing out of line. He said it with Bo Rage Face, which is why this article was written.

I also noticed that, once again, any time something happened that wasn't positive for Nebraska, they put Bo's face on camera. 99% of the time Bo was utterly boring, just walking the sideline talking into his headset. This one time Bo goes ballistic (justifiably) and this nitwit writes a "Bo must go" piece over it.

This article is like the comic making Milli Vanilli jokes 20 years after they were relevant. You missed your timing, sport. It's a different Bo right now.

They do this with every coach in every sport.

When there's a questionable call and the crowd is booing, you cut to the coach on the sideline for his reaction. Every time. Why wouldn't you?

They show Nick Saban going ballistic, too, which is why we all think Nick Saban is a hothead. They always showed Tom Osborne after bad or questionable plays, because his reaction -- a squint and a frown-- was part of the story. They don't put television cameras on people being utterly boring because....why would they?

Actually they did. There were plenty of shots of Bo Pelini on the sideline going about his business in a calm, deliberate, gum-chewing manner.

Bo Pelini gets angrier than the average coach. It's not a conspiracy. It is who he is. He looks like the exact same guy he's always been. I admire his off-field PR efforts, but in-game he looks like the same Pelini he's always been. Not sure of this "different Bo" of whom you speak.

I didn't mind Bo arguing myself. It's what you do in that situation. But these days if you watch football every Thursday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, you're going to see a dozen roughing the passer or illegal targeting calls that seem just plain wrong, and even the network commentators are mystified. Some coaches yell at the refs, some just shake their heads. Most don't come that far out on the field. Bo still needs to be careful. So please...not more "this is the media's fault" schtick.

Guy. I think what knapps referring to is that the bo cam shows him even after the most irrelevant of plays. Like when we gain 3 yards instead of 5. I watch a lit of football too snd im with knapp on this one. And no Bo is not the same. The number of freakouts per game has gone down considerably. Hell last night an emotional fiery game and he had one outburst. 5 years ago he wouldntve made it to halftime in this game.

But do i think its a conspiracy against bo or nebraska? No. Its just entertaining.

Here's a thought:

Does the flag for pass interference (the one where the ref fell down) gets picked up and waved off if Pelini and the crowd hadn't have come down hard on the refs and their ears are still stinging? Does Miami get TWO personal fouls the next interception instead of the refs calling the usual offsetting personal fouls...(because Randy Gregory seemed to be begging for one)?

• Fire 2

Here's a thought:

Does the flag for pass interference (the one where the ref fell down) gets picked up and waved off if Pelini and the crowd hadn't have come down hard on the refs and their ears are still stinging? Does Miami get TWO personal fouls the next interception instead of the refs calling the usual offsetting personal fouls...(because Randy Gregory seemed to be begging for one)?

damn fine point. It makes a differencewhether ppl wanna believe it or not. And we need to put ourselves in their shoes. Officials and coaches know each other and yhey dont have anything personal against each other (well except that frickin greg burkes) so to me its just doin gheir job.

Here's a thought:

The PI gets picked up no matter what because that guy wasn't in position to make the call. Side judge was running over to correct it immediately, since his view was right on top of it.

I have my doubts about Bo, but Pereira is way off the mark. That call was horsesh#t and Pelini is one of about two-dozen high-profile coaches who would have reacted angrily at the call. Compared to Iowa 2013 or A&M 2010, that was a 5.5 on the Richter scale for Bo. Not a big deal at all; surprised anyone took time to right about it.

Have watched the play several times and twice frame by frame. If grabbing a QB by the thigh and then having him stumble over you when you are on the ground is a 'low hit" then I'm a George Clooney look alike. As a career official and now as an apologist for officials on Fox Spots Mr. Pereira is quite obviously biased. Pelini does occasionally over step his boundaries but in this case he was justified. Considering how poorly this game was officiated I have to ask, "Why does Nebraska hire an officiating crew from a second tier football conference like the ACC to come into a B1G 10 House and call a game?" This group of officials were obviously not up to the task. Pereira has no credibility hopefully Fox will realize this and sever it's relationship with this man. "Those who can't do, teach." Those who can't officiate, commentate.

T_O_B

Here's a thought:

Exactly! I don't coach football, but I do coach, and this is exactly why coaches "discuss" things with the officials. It's to keep them on their toes. Perhaps you're not always going to get that make up call, but it's just a piece of subconscious thought that might make the official think you're watching over his shoulder on the next would-be bad call. HOWEVER, there's a very fine line -- cross it, and just get more and more calls going against you. I think the Bo of years past crossed that line frequently. I haven't seen it yet this year -- and as others have said -- if any time warranted crossing that line, that was it.

BTW - that ref that fell over calling the non-PI was hilarious. I laughed my ass off over that. Not sure what the TV caught, but it was very comical live.