Game 6 "Expert" Picks: Nebraska @ Michigan State

I like that we're not getting a lot of respect from the media in this game. I think they're wrong but, I like it. I would be way more worried if they were picking us across the board. No excuse for the team to go in thinking this one is in the bag.

It's not a lack of respect. People think Michigan State is a better team because they are.

THEY ALSO SAID THE SOVIET UNION WAS A BETTER TEAM IN THE 1980 OLYMPICS... BUT DID THAT STOP TEAM USA!?!?!?!

USA USA USA USA USA USA

#offtopic

They had way more medals than us at the 1980 Summer Olympics though....

the boycott may have something to do with that.

I like that we're not getting a lot of respect from the media in this game. I think they're wrong but, I like it. I would be way more worried if they were picking us across the board. No excuse for the team to go in thinking this one is in the bag.

It's not a lack of respect. People think Michigan State is a better team because they are.

Well, you've said it, I guess it must be true.

When we beat them, you'll stand by this comment?

Man, almost all those predictions are the same!

I guess I don't see why people feel like MSU has a sweet offense? They beat up 3 crappy teams and got smoked by Oregon.

I really think that these are two evenly matched teams.

I'm not sure about their offense. But, they didn't get "smoked" by Oregon. They were ahead in that game in the third quarter. I think MSU totally got worn out at the end of that game.

I'm hoping we can pound them all game and have the same affect at the end of the game this weekend.

MSU had one good quarter where they scored 24 of their 27 points. They were outscored in three out of four quarters and after the half were outscored 28-3. The game was competitive for a half but Sparty was soundly outplayed overall in the game.

Watch the game. The second quarter was when MSU found it's groove and absolutely outplayed Oregon. If this had happened in the 3rd quarter...they probably win that game. Oregon just proved to have the better coaching staff and adjusted. Had that game been in East Lansing I believe MSU keeps the momentum and holds on to win. Don't be fooled by the box score. MSU is right up there with Oregon...a place we haven't shown to be at yet. We've compiled a nice little record but this will be our first true test. I'm anxious to see how we do.

So, the ducks smoked them for 3 quarters and have a better coaching staff, but MSU is just as good?

If the game had been in east Lansing would the ducks coaching staff have been stupid?

There was a reason the line was so high.

Connor cook is going to get his numbers, but if we force a few picks and put our offense in to some short field situations then I see us running away with the game. This year just has s different feel to it, this team has a different feel. A good one.

All those teams "marched on us"?

I'm thinking mainly of McNeese's two long drives. The other teams did some good things, and then our D hit them back with some good things. But the Spartans offense doesn't exist on the same plane. The defense could certainly rise to the occasion, but they could also get worked over by a team of this caliber.

Similarly, the offense has to turn in a crisp game against the best defense it's faced all year. I hope they can...

Not depressing, it's going to be a titanic clash and I'm looking forward to it! Just, concerned about the knee-jerk responses if we do lose by 10+, which seems to me to be a reasonably expected outcome.

all week i have been trying to manage my expectations. this board has seemed to be going in the opposite direction by finding every stat, omen, and talisman that guarantees us the win. i think if we are being honest with ourselves, we should know that it will take a herculean effort from our team and at least a little sloppy effort from msu.

msu just has a lot of edges in this game that will require us to play smart, disciplined, and near-perfect.

Guaranteed win? Hmmm, another one of these made up fantasy world comments? I've seen nobody guarantee a win, and if there has been one or two, it certainly should take more than one or two people to suddenly label an entire message board, no?

We have a hard time seperating positivity and excitement from "claims of greatness". It happened when the offense started strong. We literally had a coach blaming the media for labeling the offense "the greatest offense ever" , when in reality the media was just pumping some positivity for a well played game. The two are not the same thing.

Nobody I've seen has guaranteed anything. I'll personally guarantee this though. If both these teams play their A game, two good football teams will be playing a good football game Saturday. One team will create some breaks, get a lucky bounce, or make a play here or there that could be the difference. Or one team will not play their A game. I believe the team that does less to hurt themselves very well could be the winner of this game. We nearly overcame ourselves last year. We are a better team this year. If we get out of our own way, we are hard to beat.

If we beat them then we are better than them on Saturday.

If we beat them then we are better than them on Saturday.

I can see where this is going already.

• Fire 1

You're getting a little ahead of yourself spanky. We will find out who the better team is on Saturday when they actually play each other. Rankings, stats, partial seasons, etc. don't mean jack. That is why teams actually have to suit up and play each other. You should know this.

And, a brief history would indicate we are generally the better team anyway (7-1 record, with the 1 loss coming in a 5 turnover sh#tstorm of ball protection ineptitude). But, if you want to call MSU the better team, go right ahead. Just be ready to own it when the game is over.

• Fire 2

You're getting a little ahead of yourself spanky. We will find out who the better team is on Saturday when they actually play each other. Rankings, stats, partial seasons, etc. don't mean jack. That is why teams actually have to suit up and play each other. You should know this.

And, a brief history would indicate we are generally the better team anyway (7-1 record, with the 1 loss coming in a 5 turnover sh#tstorm of ball protection ineptitude). But, if you want to call MSU the better team, go right ahead. Just be ready to own it when the game is over.

We haven't played the game yet. Until we do, they are a better team.

A brief history would include last year's game, and a debate about the two before it mayyybe being considered. It wouldn't include games played in the 1920's and 90's because they couldn't be less relevant. There's a reason they are ranked higher than us and it's not because of brainless bias.

Even if we come out and beat them 41-10 Saturday, the point is that we aren't being disrespected by the media. Michigan State is at home, which is an advantage, they've got a great quarterback, great receivers and backs, a great defense, and have been firing on pretty much all cylinders this season and for over a year now.

all week i have been trying to manage my expectations. this board has seemed to be going in the opposite direction by finding every stat, omen, and talisman that guarantees us the win. i think if we are being honest with ourselves, we should know that it will take a herculean effort from our team and at least a little sloppy effort from msu.

msu just has a lot of edges in this game that will require us to play smart, disciplined, and near-perfect.

I'm trying to manage my expectations also but, I am just having trouble believing, on any level, that if we just take care of us we won't be fine. MSU is a very good team with a salty defense and likely the best offense (or at least one that will give us problems) we have seen so far this year BUT if we don't turnover the ball, if Beck doesn't go full head in ass when it gets tough, and if Bo & Paps bring some pressure on Cook, we will win this thing. I don't think we have to play perfect but we do have to severely limit turnovers, penalties, and bring a serious effort. We ARE the better team.......we just have to play like we are. That is the only question in my book; Do we play up to our capability or do we relive ghosts of previous big games?