Game 6 "Expert" Picks: Nebraska @ Michigan State

I like that we're not getting a lot of respect from the media in this game. I think they're wrong but, I like it. I would be way more worried if they were picking us across the board. No excuse for the team to go in thinking this one is in the bag.

It's not a lack of respect. People think Michigan State is a better team because they are.

You're getting a little ahead of yourself spanky. We will find out who the better team is on Saturday when they actually play each other. Rankings, stats, partial seasons, etc. don't mean jack. That is why teams actually have to suit up and play each other. You should know this.

And, a brief history would indicate we are generally the better team anyway (7-1 record, with the 1 loss coming in a 5 turnover sh#tstorm of ball protection ineptitude). But, if you want to call MSU the better team, go right ahead. Just be ready to own it when the game is over.

We haven't played the game yet. Until we do, they are a better team.

A brief history would include last year's game, and a debate about the two before it mayyybe being considered. It wouldn't include games played in the 1920's and 90's because they couldn't be less relevant. There's a reason they are ranked higher than us and it's not because of brainless bias.

Even if we come out and beat them 41-10 Saturday, the point is that we aren't being disrespected by the media. Michigan State is at home, which is an advantage, they've got a great quarterback, great receivers and backs, a great defense, and have been firing on pretty much all cylinders this season and for over a year now.

Nobody knows who the better team is until they actually play the game. That's why the games are played.

Now, you can say they are "perceived" to be the better team. But, to flat out say, "They ARE the better team"....well....nobody knows.

• Fire 3

I'm trying to manage my expectations also but, I am just having trouble believing, on any level, that if we just take care of us we won't be fine. MSU is a very good team with a salty defense and likely the best offense (or at least one that will give us problems) we have seen so far this year BUT if we don't turnover the ball, if Beck doesn't go full head in ass when it gets tough, and if Bo & Paps bring some pressure on Cook, we will win this thing. I don't think we have to play perfect but we do have to severely limit turnovers, penalties, and bring a serious effort. We ARE the better team.......we just have to play like we are. That is the only question in my book; Do we play up to our capability or do we relive ghosts of previous big games?

i agree. but i am afraid of implosion, either self-inflicted or because we are playing a quality team.

part of the reason for our self-inflicted wounds is because of the quality of competition. good teams make it easier for a team to get in their own way.

i am just trying to go into this with as few expectations, good or bad, as possible.

My heart says:

NU 31 MSU 17

Ameer establishes himself as a front runner for the Heisman, and Bo's scheme does what it normally does against pocket passers and there is rejoicing.

My brain says:

MSU 42 NU 21

Ameer gets his, Beck tries to take advantage of a crowded box by passing and Tommy is baited into two picks. Hostile crowd, MSU scores early, and every one gets too obsessed with a targeting penalty on Gregory that keeps a MSU drive alive, including Bo.

Pretty much how I feel. I'm trying not to get too excited.

I'm going with the idea that my week has been so crappy in general, that Nebraska is doomed Saturday through no fault of their own. If we lose, this one is on me, you guys.

maybe this will be the catalyst to start a really great next week?

and sorry about your rotten week. i hope it gets better.

I like that we're not getting a lot of respect from the media in this game. I think they're wrong but, I like it. I would be way more worried if they were picking us across the board. No excuse for the team to go in thinking this one is in the bag.

It's not a lack of respect. People think Michigan State is a better team because they are.

You're getting a little ahead of yourself spanky. We will find out who the better team is on Saturday when they actually play each other. Rankings, stats, partial seasons, etc. don't mean jack. That is why teams actually have to suit up and play each other. You should know this.

And, a brief history would indicate we are generally the better team anyway (7-1 record, with the 1 loss coming in a 5 turnover sh#tstorm of ball protection ineptitude). But, if you want to call MSU the better team, go right ahead. Just be ready to own it when the game is over.

We haven't played the game yet. Until we do, they are a better team.

A brief history would include last year's game, and a debate about the two before it mayyybe being considered. It wouldn't include games played in the 1920's and 90's because they couldn't be less relevant. There's a reason they are ranked higher than us and it's not because of brainless bias.

Even if we come out and beat them 41-10 Saturday, the point is that we aren't being disrespected by the media. Michigan State is at home, which is an advantage, they've got a great quarterback, great receivers and backs, a great defense, and have been firing on pretty much all cylinders this season and for over a year now.

I wouldn't say we are being disrespected by the media but we also are not getting much respect from them either. Given our recent history, I can't say I blame the pundits for not giving us a few more win picks than they have. It's the safe thing for them to do and it makes sense. But, having watched both teams play a lot this season, I'm just not seeing where MSU is clearly ahead of us in all facets as so many seem to think they are. Yeah, they've got some definite advantages in this game, I just believe that if we don't self destruct this game will not be the gauntlet so many are making it seem like.

Nobody knows who the better team is until they actually play the game. That's why the games are played.

Now, you can say they are "perceived" to be the better team. But, to flat out say, "They ARE the better team"....well....nobody knows.

Perception defines reality in college football, so they're really saying the same thing.

I do remember 3 years ago when MSU came into the game in Lincoln ranked really high. Just beat Wisconsin had a great QB good WR and a great TB great defense. They lost 24-3 and the game wasn't even that close. Not saying it is going to be that way at all, but you never know.

BP knows how to defend this team for some reason.

I think MSU comes into the game having read a few to many of their own clippings and may be a little over confident. Just my opinion.

Perception defines reality in college football, so they're really saying the same thing.

Ummm...no.

• Fire 2

Our optimism so far relies almost completely on history.

I tried to make an argument in a different thread that the perception that MSU is better is also based on history... namely, last year. When you go 13-1 and win the Rose Bowl, you tend to get a lot of respect the following year.

However, this year, I've seen nothing that shows that Michigan State is a juggernaut either on offense or defense that some suggest.

I find it ironic so many people claim "polls are useless at this point-- all that matters is winning" and then revert to MSU's poll ranking to tell them they're a better team than us at this point.

Looking objectively at them, I see a very polished, NFL-prospect level QB with a good receiver and a pretty salty RB. But history is on Bo's side as far as shutting down that offense in the past.

Sure, they've got the 3rd ranked scoring offense in the nation. But they've played Jax St, Oregon, Eastern Washington, and Wyoming. Let's see where those teams rank in scoring defense on the year.

Jax St.: NR (D-IAA)

Oregon: 41st

E Washington 124th

Wyoming: 86th

Basically, I read that as them rolling up a lot of points on teams that were either badly overmatched or not as good as the public perception (looking at you Oregon defense).

Likewise, they're the 35th best scoring defense. Here's their opponents' scoring offense:

Jax St.: NR

Oregon: 4th

E Washington: 123rd

Wyoming: t-118th

I understand they've played reserves a LOT in those last two games, but they gave up 14 points and big plays to two of the absolute bottom dwellers in the NCAA.

I remember hearing that E Wash/Wyoming were able to break off some pretty nice chunk plays against the Sparty D. If those anemic offenses were able to do so (even if was against reserves), I don't see why we can't do the same. Beck has had the O dialed in clicking on all cylinders in 4 of 5 games this year.

Both teams are playing very well this year and MSU does have the edge. I even agree with the expert picks. We are slight underdogs, not heavy ones. It would be a great feeling to upset them. The most important thing for me right now is that I really really like this Husker team. When the time comes, I'm just going to grab a bucket of fried chicken, some cold beers and see how the game plays out. Will know so much more afterwards.

GBR

Our optimism so far relies almost completely on history.

I tried to make an argument in a different thread that the perception that MSU is better is also based on history... namely, last year. When you go 13-1 and win the Rose Bowl, you tend to get a lot of respect the following year.

However, this year, I've seen nothing that shows that Michigan State is a juggernaut either on offense or defense that some suggest.

I find it ironic so many people claim "polls are useless at this point-- all that matters is winning" and then revert to MSU's poll ranking to tell them they're a better team than us at this point.

Looking objectively at them, I see a very polished, NFL-prospect level QB with a good receiver and a pretty salty RB. But history is on Bo's side as far as shutting down that offense in the past.

Sure, they've got the 3rd ranked scoring offense in the nation. But they've played Jax St, Oregon, Eastern Washington, and Wyoming. Let's see where those teams rank in scoring defense on the year.

Jax St.: NR (D-IAA)

Oregon: 41st

E Washington 124th

Wyoming: 86th

Basically, I read that as them rolling up a lot of points on teams that were either badly overmatched or not as good as the public perception (looking at you Oregon defense).

Likewise, they're the 35th best scoring defense. Here's their opponents' scoring offense:

Jax St.: NR

Oregon: 4th

E Washington: 123rd

Wyoming: t-118th

I understand they've played reserves a LOT in those last two games, but they gave up 14 points and big plays to two of the absolute bottom dwellers in the NCAA.

I remember hearing that E Wash/Wyoming were able to break off some pretty nice chunk plays against the Sparty D. If those anemic offenses were able to do so (even if was against reserves), I don't see why we can't do the same. Beck has had the O dialed in clicking on all cylinders in 4 of 5 games this year.

I only watched a couple first half drives and Wyoming was running the ball for pretty well. They had a couple big runs and one went to the house. Wyoming couldn't stop handing the ball over to MSU.

Started weak. Got weaker.

• Fire 1