Game 6 "Expert" Picks: Nebraska @ Michigan State

I know we've done a good job on Michigan State's "pro style" in the past, but I don't quite see it happening again this year. The Spartans' offense has kicked it up a notch and while our defense has more 'fight' in them than the recent past, they've still been marched on by the likes of McNeese State, Wes Lunt's backup, and Miami's true freshman. We can expect Cook and Langford to get theirs. Probably a lot of theirs.

And Miami's defense and their gameplan, let's be honest, was a trainwreck. If not completely terrible, their contain 2-gap DL at least played into our hands. I think Michigan State could well take out one part of our game, and their scheme & execution are sophisticated enough to force our young QB into mistakes.

What we will need are big breaks, mainly in forcing turnovers from the D. It's never a good thing when that's what you depend on. On offenses, I see our line probably good for another couple of drive-stalling penalties as they have been in (every???) game this year, and giving up 2-3 out of 10-12 scoring opportunities in this way (unforced error) isn't going to cut it.

Our optimism so far relies almost completely on history. Bo's shut down MSU before, Beck's run on MSU before. But this isn't before, it's now. Nebraska's not the same team it was three weeks ago, for example. And right now, unfortunately, this looks like a multiple-score loss to a playoff-contending team.

I'd be ecstatic just to keep it a dogfight to the end. And I'd love, love, love to see us get the W.

This is pretty much where I'm at.

My heart says:

NU 31 MSU 17

Ameer establishes himself as a front runner for the Heisman, and Bo's scheme does what it normally does against pocket passers and there is rejoicing.

My brain says:

MSU 42 NU 21

Ameer gets his, Beck tries to take advantage of a crowded box by passing and Tommy is baited into two picks. Hostile crowd, MSU scores early, and every one gets too obsessed with a targeting penalty on Gregory that keeps a MSU drive alive, including Bo.

Much hate is piled on on Beck and Tommy.

---------------------

Bo could do a LOT to quell the stigmata and expectation I just described. There's a thread out calling it the "biggest" game. Far from it,but it sure as hell is a watershed game for this program and it's coach.

I completely agree Polo.

Well I probably should have said "stigma". I don't think Bo bleeds from his hands. That would be bad.

I know we've done a good job on Michigan State's "pro style" in the past, but I don't quite see it happening again this year. The Spartans' offense has kicked it up a notch and while our defense has more 'fight' in them than the recent past, they've still been marched on by the likes of McNeese State, Wes Lunt's backup, and Miami's true freshman. We can expect Cook and Langford to get theirs. Probably a lot of theirs.

Wow...must be a depressing week in Zoogieville.

All those teams "marched on us"?

I will give you that Miami did drive on us....but....

Illinois only scored twice on us with Lunt's back up. Both of those were on two big plays. One was pathetic defense on the first drive. The other was actually really good defense and the receiver made a great play. You take those two plays away, they only had 239 yards of total offense.

McNeese State scored only 17 points on us with 338 yards of total offense. They had 46% completion rate with an interception.

• Fire 1

Judging based on history and what we know about both teams.. I fully understand why they all picked Michigan State.

I hope Bo pulls this thread up and shows it to every single Defensive player on this team.. that for the most part everyone thinks we will give up 30+ points.

Outside of two rocky starts, this Defense has been VERY VERY good. Getting in the QB's face. Cannot get down early. Need to play with intensity early and often.

If Gregory can make Cook move his feet, and our offense can be consistent, we can take them out of their game. MSU is a good offensive team but not dominate. No reason we can hold them to under 21 points.

I'm thinking mainly of McNeese's two long drives. The other teams did some good things, and then our D hit them back with some good things. But the Spartans offense doesn't exist on the same plane. The defense could certainly rise to the occasion, but they could also get worked over by a team of this caliber.

Similarly, the offense has to turn in a crisp game against the best defense it's faced all year. I hope they can...

Not depressing, it's going to be a titanic clash and I'm looking forward to it! Just, concerned about the knee-jerk responses if we do lose by 10+, which seems to me to be a reasonably expected outcome.

I'm thinking mainly of McNeese's two long drives. The other teams did some good things, and then our D hit them back with some good things. But the Spartans offense doesn't exist on the same plane. The defense could certainly rise to the occasion, but they could also get worked over by a team of this caliber.

Similarly, the offense has to turn in a crisp game against the best defense it's faced all year. I hope they can...

Not depressing, it's going to be a titanic clash and I'm looking forward to it! Just, concerned about the knee-jerk responses if we do lose by 10+, which seems to me to be a reasonably expected outcome.

all week i have been trying to manage my expectations. this board has seemed to be going in the opposite direction by finding every stat, omen, and talisman that guarantees us the win. i think if we are being honest with ourselves, we should know that it will take a herculean effort from our team and at least a little sloppy effort from msu.

msu just has a lot of edges in this game that will require us to play smart, disciplined, and near-perfect.

• Fire 2

I think this team has proven they are a very different team than what showed up against McNeese State.

Both sides of the ball are going to have to come with their A game this Saturday.

I like that we're not getting a lot of respect from the media in this game. I think they're wrong but, I like it. I would be way more worried if they were picking us across the board. No excuse for the team to go in thinking this one is in the bag.

It's not a lack of respect. People think Michigan State is a better team because they are.

I like that we're not getting a lot of respect from the media in this game. I think they're wrong but, I like it. I would be way more worried if they were picking us across the board. No excuse for the team to go in thinking this one is in the bag.

It's not a lack of respect. People think Michigan State is a better team because they are.

THEY ALSO SAID THE SOVIET UNION WAS A BETTER TEAM IN THE 1980 OLYMPICS... BUT DID THAT STOP TEAM USA!?!?!?!

USA USA USA USA USA USA

#offtopic

• Fire 6

all week i have been trying to manage my expectations. this board has seemed to be going in the opposite direction by finding every stat, omen, and talisman that guarantees us the win. i think if we are being honest with ourselves, we should know that it will take a herculean effort from our team and at least a little sloppy effort from msu.

msu just has a lot of edges in this game that will require us to play smart, disciplined, and near-perfect.

I agree with tempering expectations, but I don't think it's David vs Goliath like some want to make it out to be. We've always matched up well with MSU. I think a "very good" effort will win it. :)

Man, almost all those predictions are the same!

I guess I don't see why people feel like MSU has a sweet offense? They beat up 3 crappy teams and got smoked by Oregon.

I really think that these are two evenly matched teams.

I'm not sure about their offense. But, they didn't get "smoked" by Oregon. They were ahead in that game in the third quarter. I think MSU totally got worn out at the end of that game.

I'm hoping we can pound them all game and have the same affect at the end of the game this weekend.

MSU had one good quarter where they scored 24 of their 27 points. They were outscored in three out of four quarters and after the half were outscored 28-3. The game was competitive for a half but Sparty was soundly outplayed overall in the game.

Watch the game. The second quarter was when MSU found it's groove and absolutely outplayed Oregon. If this had happened in the 3rd quarter...they probably win that game. Oregon just proved to have the better coaching staff and adjusted. Had that game been in East Lansing I believe MSU keeps the momentum and holds on to win. Don't be fooled by the box score. MSU is right up there with Oregon...a place we haven't shown to be at yet. We've compiled a nice little record but this will be our first true test. I'm anxious to see how we do.

Wow. Great stuff Saunders, thanks for putting all that together.

I'm a little surprised at all the MSU picks. I also agree with QMany. Why would our offense be held to 28 or less when our offense is possibly the most versatile it's ever been, and even with five turnovers last year we scored as much.

MSU's defense is getting a ton of credit and from everything I've seen, the BLACKSHIRTS aren't getting any. Our front four better be aggressive and our LB'ers better be on the spot. We can't let them dink and dunk down the field and control the clock. We need stops. Our defense will do it.

Like Tommy said, " we got a lot of guys who like shutting people up". Let's do it.