NET Big Red Wrap-Up MSU - Jason Peter - Video

I just watched it. Like I said in the shed thread, I agree with him on everything except the Gregory discussion and moving him around like we do. It's not a weakness. He's is just talented enough and versatile enough for us to do that to create mismatches and dictations. Greg McMullen and Avery Moss are not capable of playin the edge AND inside linebacker or a spinner technique in a 34. Gregory gives us that option, and his talent level creates a situation in which the offense has to account for him EVERY SINGLE PLAY. And when we're movin him around, it creates issues on the offense. And saturday night, we didnt move him around much. Which I find interesting as it fits in with the rest of the things we do really well but just threw out saturday night.

I agree with him about Gregory. Did we need to get cute with Wistrom, Tomich or Alberts? Nope.

Exactly. We didnt NEED to.

We apparently need to with Gregory. He's obviously more effective when being moved around than he is line up at a normal DE spot where, like I said, the offense can easily run away from him, double team him with the tacklel and a back/TE chippin, cut block the hell out of him. Movin him around, esp in obvious pass downs where he can delay blitz and pick his spots is great. Imagine if they did that stuff with Clowny. Gregory is a tremendous athlete for his size. His quickness allows for it and generates tremendous mismatches. Now a days football is about matchups and exploiting mismatches. it's just another thing with Peter about the good ole days...."ah just put your hand in the ground and be a badass and run everyone over". Does not work that way.

Why? Can't he beat his guy? I think you are missing the point. We didn't need to get cute with those guys because they beat their guy more times than not. Like Peter said if Gregory is that good he can beat the guy lined up across from him. How do you know he is more effective when moved around? Does he have more TFL or sacks when lined up in another position other than his own?

Jesus. Really?

Isnt that the whole point? How many plays does gregory make out of lining up as a normal DE position? What does it create for the rest of our front seven from a matchup standpoint?

And as far as knowing how much more effective it is, just watch. But remember this little tidbit. Watch the play. Not the player. A lot of times his impact at a certain position is not shown on the stat sheet.

I can't disagree with anything he said. It comes down to balls and wanting to win more than anything in the world. I wonder though, is this a Nebraska problem or a societal problem? It seems kids don't want to work hard these days.

I'm leaning towards a societal problem. Over the past three or four years, I've heard many high school coaches voice much disgust

over kids not wanting to work hard these days. These are guys who have been very successful in the past with a couple of them

winning multiple state championships. I don't know that it's necessarily just sports either. I've heard teachers say the same

thing with regards to learning in the classroom.

You can't compare the offenses that Peter, Wistrom, Alberts faced against the offenses that are around today. The mobile QB that can throw has changed everything. Wistrom and Alberts used to pin their ears back and go for one spot towards the QB. Defenses can't really do that anymore.

Remember how Corby Jones lit up NU in '97. All he had to do was roll away from pressure, and make passes to wide open receivers. Does Peter forget that game?

Whoa whoa whoa. Hold on. What is your definition of "lit up"? Corby Jones was 12 of 20 for 233 yards passing with 21 carries for 60 yards rushing. He was sacked five times. Three of Missouri's touchdown drives started in Nebraska territory, due to a Frost INT and two big kickoff returns.

Missouri's offense had a nice game, but they ended up with 386 yards, which was actually less than their average that season (420). If 386 yards is getting lit up, then I would have absolutely taken a lighting up at the hands of 2012 Wisconsin (Part II), 2012 Ohio State, 2013 Wyoming or 2013 UCLA in place of whatever you would call what we actually got (incinerated?).

You can't compare the offenses that Peter, Wistrom, Alberts faced against the offenses that are around today. The mobile QB that can throw has changed everything. Wistrom and Alberts used to pin their ears back and go for one spot towards the QB. Defenses can't really do that anymore.

Remember how Corby Jones lit up NU in '97. All he had to do was roll away from pressure, and make passes to wide open receivers. Does Peter forget that game?

Is Cook a mobile quarterback?
Well he is a lot more mobile than Danny Werfeld or Paten Manning ever thought of being

My brother teaches high school. Industrial arts. Says it's still a mix of really talented kids who put in extra effort and thrive, and the numbnuts who spend all semester making a roach clip out of 2 x 4. There were plenty of slackers in the 1970s. Most kids fall somewhere inbetween.

But he did notice that some of those smart, motivated, athletic kids, given the choice of getting an afterschool job, some pocket money and a girlfriend, or having a football coach screaming at them morning, noon, nights and weekends, started opting for the money and the ladies. The players the coaches coveted didn't want to play football. And it was hard to argue with them.

Whoa whoa whoa. Hold on. What is your definition of "lit up"? Corby Jones was 12 of 20 for 233 yards passing with 21 carries for 60 yards rushing. He was sacked five times. Three of Missouri's touchdown drives started in Nebraska territory, due to a Frost INT and two big kickoff returns.

Missouri's offense had a nice game, but they ended up with 386 yards, which was actually less than their average that season (420). If 386 yards is getting lit up, then I would have absolutely taken a lighting up at the hands of 2012 Wisconsin (Part II), 2012 Ohio State, 2013 Wyoming or 2013 UCLA in place of whatever you would call what we actually got.

They also scored 38 points on a defense that had given up a total of 7 points in the previous 3 weeks combined. That's "lit up"

They also scored 38 points on a defense that had given up a total of 7 points in the previous 3 weeks combined. That's "lit up"

What do previous weeks have to do with it? If we hold Incarnate Word to 20 total yards then give up 250 to Iowa the next week, does that mean Iowa lit us up?

12 of 20 for 233 yards and getting sacked five times is not lit up in any sports journalist dictionary.

still amazes me that this guy jasonpeter2.jpg

was this guy

1073455.jpg

love this guy though love his intensity agree with him but I do think he was surrounded by a completely level of player and environment...

It's amazing. Watchin the BTN Elite on 1994 Nebraska, I get a kick how all the guys who were 300 pounds in college are all trim and fit, and all the backs, like Frazier and Turman, are fat pudgies.

My brother teaches high school. Industrial arts. Says it's still a mix of really talented kids who put in extra effort and thrive, and the numbnuts who spend all semester making a roach clip out of 2 x 4. There were plenty of slackers in the 1970s. Most kids fall somewhere inbetween.

But he did notice that some of those smart, motivated, athletic kids, given the choice of getting an afterschool job, some pocket money and a girlfriend, or having a football coach screaming at them morning, noon, nights and weekends, started opting for the money and the ladies. The players the coaches coveted didn't want to play football. And it was hard to argue with them.

Dazed and Confused is one of my favs too.