Ok so... what do Starkville and Oxford have that Lincoln doesn't?

The previous coach landed classes that embarrass Bo's

Pelini's record completely embarrasses the previous coach.

We are talking about recruiting. Callahan pulled in great talent, so much so Pelini should be writing him thank you notes because they were a big part of your talking points.

• Fire 7

You put a guy like Nick Saban in Lincoln, and guys would flock there to play for him. Location has nothing to do with it.

how many of those are there? And how many of the top coached would be willing to leave the job they already have
You never know unless you try. Money talks. Just look at Petersen last year. People swore up and down that he'd never leave Boise.

I'm not saying I want a new coach at the moment, because I don't. I'm just saying that the "geographically challenged" excuse is for the birds.

The previous coach landed classes that embarrass Bo's

Pelini's record completely embarrasses the previous coach.

We are talking about recruiting. Callahan pulled in great talent, so much so Pelini should be writing him thank you notes because they were a big part of your talking points.

It was a silly place to use the word embarrass, though I understand you like to use it as much as possible to influence what you write about Pelini.

• Fire 1

They do have a lot more in state guys than Nebraska. They also get a lot from neighbors Alabama and Louisiana. So that's a part of the story. But overall, MSU hasn't had very good classes the last five years. (Ole Miss has had better, but still not elite.) Great coaching has brought them from recruits in the mid-30s to a team ranked #1.

I'm not sure which is more ridiculous, the idea that Mississippi shares Nebraska's geographical handicap in recruiting or the continued belief by some that Callahan was a superior recruiter to Pelini.

Actually, I take that back. One of those things can at least be debated. Mississippi has a ton more talent within its borders and in easy driving distance. There is simply no comparison.

As to Callahan vs. Pelini, I don't think there's been a significant difference if you go by recruiting rankings. If you go by things that actually matter (bringing in kids that can win games due to a combination of talent and attitude), I think it's pretty clear that Pelini comes out ahead. Callahan's team quit on him. Some of that is crappy coaching, but a lot of that is selling kids on the right or wrong reasons to come here and selecting kids with the right attitude.

They do have a lot more in state guys than Nebraska. They also get a lot from neighbors Alabama and Louisiana. So that's a part of the story. But overall, MSU hasn't had very good classes the last five years. (Ole Miss has had better, but still not elite.) Great coaching has brought them from recruits in the mid-30s to a team ranked #1.

Agree on MSU, they probably cheat like the rest of the south, but there's no doubt that Mullen is coaching his ass off and is due for a promotion in the near future.

Ole Miss has been buying up top recruits at a record pace lately and it's starting to pay off for them. Any comparison to the way they win games and what NU does is irrelevant, as I hope to god we never stoop to their level.